Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

1 members and 3,217 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Het meaning?

Thanks

Het meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    x2. only thing i would add is that no snake can be anything other than 50% or 66% het for any trait. if it's sold as 100% het, it should be guaranteed to be heterozygous for that specific recessive gene.
    Hi, i know this is an old thread but i was sold a banana pastel 100% het clown, does that mean both parents were clowns and if i bred it with another visual clown i should get clown babies?
    Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    The 100% het clown means that one of the parents was a clown. The other parent was either het or just not carrying the gene.

If you breed that snake to a clown, 50% of the babies will be clown. The rest will be 100% het.

If you breed that snake to another het, there's a 1 in 4 chance of the baby being clown. The rest will be 'normals', but 2 out of the 3 left will be 'het' and carrying that clown gene. The only sure way to tell which one is by breeding them to a het or a visual clown.

The addition of banana and pastel complicates things a bit more.... but that's how a clown pairing works.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-06-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks

Re: what does het mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    The 100% het clown means that one of the parents was a clown. The other parent was either het or just not carrying the gene.

If you breed that snake to a clown, 50% of the babies will be clown. The rest will be 100% het.

If you breed that snake to another het, there's a 1 in 4 chance of the baby being clown. The rest will be 'normals', but 2 out of the 3 left will be 'het' and carrying that clown gene. The only sure way to tell which one is by breeding them to a het or a visual clown.

The addition of banana and pastel complicates things a bit more.... but that's how a clown pairing works.

Hope that helps!
    Hi thanks for the reply, so are you saying my snake might not actually have clown in it even though it said 100%?
    Sorry for my confusion lol
    What i was hoping was i could get a clown and defo get some clown babies.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts

No, 100% het means they are definitely carrying the gene. You just can't see it. But just carrying the gene isn't enough for every baby to be a clown. Passing the gene is still going to be 50% chance. Unless you breed 2 clowns together, you will never get all clown babies. Breeding your het to a clown means each egg has a 50% chance of being a clown.

Here's a couple image example:

Just replace albino with clown. Same genetic idea. You need aa to carry to the baby for it to be 'clown'. The rest would be hets or the AA would be 'normal' with no genes.
    The 50% or 66% hets are badly named in my opinion. They should ALWAYS be labeled as 'possible het' because those are the ones that may actually not be carrying the gene. Those are for gamblers or very lucky people. That is the het to het breedings.

There's also http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard
    Which if you plug in the male and female of what you want it will give you a fairly accurate % of what you'll get.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-06-2018 at 04:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    No, 100% het means they are definitely carrying the gene. You just can't see it. But just carrying the gene isn't enough for every baby to be a clown. Passing the gene is still going to be 50% chance. Unless you breed 2 clowns together, you will never get all clown babies. Breeding your het to a clown means each egg has a 50% chance of being a clown.

Here's a couple image example:

Just replace albino with clown. Same genetic idea. You need aa to carry to the baby for it to be 'clown'. The rest would be hets or the AA would be 'normal' with no genes.
    The 50% or 66% hets are badly named in my opinion. They should ALWAYS be labeled as 'possible het' because those are the ones that may actually not be carrying the gene. Those are for gamblers or very lucky people. That is the het to het breedings.

There's also http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard
    Which if you plug in the male and female of what you want it will give you a fairly accurate % of what you'll get.
    O i think i understand what you mean now, if i breed him with an actual clown of some kind i wont get all clown babies but i will get some or at least should if my het clown is actually a het clown lol.
    Thanks for your time mate.
    Neil.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neilp View Post
    Hi, i know this is an old thread but i was sold a banana pastel 100% het clown, does that mean both parents were clowns and if i bred it with another visual clown i should get clown babies?
    Thanks for the info.

Which is why instead of bumping a 7 years old thread you should create a NEW one especially when the person you are asking a question to has not posted since 05-30-2015. This has now been fixed and you have your own thread.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-06-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Which is why instead of bumping a 7 years old thread you should create a NEW one especially when the person you are asking a question to has not posted since 05-30-2015. This has now been fixed and you have your own thread.
    Get a life, i asked a question and a normal person with the time to answer with a helpful reply answered.
    Its people like you who make normal people not ask questions at all.
    U

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Get a life, i asked a question and a normal person with the time to answer with a helpful reply answered.
    Its people like you who make normal people not ask questions at all.
    U
    You do understand that common sense would be to post a new thread to get more answers right? Posting a thread by asking someone that hasn't posted in 2 years makes very little sense.

But you're welcome BTW
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2018),C.Marie (08-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You do understand that common sense would be to post a new thread to get more answers right? Posting a thread by asking someone that hasn't posted in 2 years makes very little sense.

But you're welcome BTW
    And yet i got the helpful answers to my question before you butted in with no helpful input what so ever.
    But thank you anyway.

Thanks

And yet i got the helpful answers to my question before you butted in with no helpful input what so ever.
    But thank you anyway.
    You may have gotten the answer you were looking for, and that’s great, but Deborah was simply saying that starting a new thread is wiser to do. Bumping very old threads is rather annoying . Nobody’s trying to insult you, just make a new thread in the future!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snakeydoodles For This Useful Post:

55fingers (08-06-2018),Bogertophis (08-06-2018),C.Marie (08-07-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast