Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,375

1 members and 1,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

Here's an updated couple pics! Wound is closing incredibly well. She ate a few days ago. Very pleased with the progress. I'm really excited for her next shed to see how well it's doing once new skin truly starts coming in. I'm still surprised at how quickly snakes heal!

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-31-2019),GoingPostal (05-08-2020),richardhind1972 (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Here's an updated couple pics! Wound is closing incredibly well. She ate a few days ago. Very pleased with the progress. I'm really excited for her next shed to see how well it's doing once new skin truly starts coming in. I'm still surprised at how quickly snakes heal!

Great job on your part !

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    ..."With a little help from [their] friends..." Thanks to you she's gotten a chance.

Thanks

Hi!

Not many more updates for this thread I think, because I believe she's finally leaving the woods - but I will post a few every so often til she's 100%. I finally was able to give her back her substrate, favorite basking branch and hides, and some foliage cover. She is THRILLED about it, because she's a goof and really loves to sit on her branch and channel her inner Green Tree Python (she will even strike, coil, and eat her meal from her branch). She will still get it taken away for sheds because the last 1/4 of her body is still really soft fragile skin, but she's in no danger of tears when she isn't in shed anymore.

Now that her wounds have scarred and healed over, she can take appropriately sized prey items instead of smaller but more frequent. She get small adult mice and has the voracious feeding response of a starving dragon, and I think if I let her she'd eat every day. When it's not food time she is a wonderful curious little thing and likes to watch the goings-on of the house.

She has one bump (cyst?) That needs vet attention, as when she shed several times ago her skin peeled over it and instead of healing over it, the skin healed around it. So, I'm guessing she will need that professionally removed and skin stitched back together, but as of now it's dry and hard and 'healed' and doesn't seem to bother her so it's not a top priority, I'd like to wait a few more sheds for her skin to fully recover and for her to gain weight. She's healthier but still a little skinny.

She's at about 150ish grams now. We've been fighting this for a full year now, and she's gained 100 grams. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you look at where she started...a decent amount of that has been gained in the last 3-6 months. I'd guess it takes a huge amount of calories to heal that much, so she's been mostly maintaining with an ever so slight upward trend until recently when she started packing on the grams. Huge relief, huge difference.

Overall I'm extremely pleased and she has shown me I made the right call helping her through everything and now she's growing like a weed and I'll get to give her a bigger tank than a 10 gallon!!!! (Argus outgrew his in weeks, she's lived in it for a year but it's getting a little tight finally!)

(Full disclosure, she does have a cool hide, it was soaking in the sink. All temps are spot on per heat gun and regulated, she just really likes her branch).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-03-2019),ladywhipple02 (09-06-2019),Luvyna (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Wow, she's really looking good! She never would have made it without your help, you've worked so hard to save her & very few people would or could have done
    what you've done. Now if only the retail stores would quit "supplying" snakes in this condition...

... I finally was able to give her back her substrate, favorite basking branch and hides, and some foliage cover. She is THRILLED about it, because she's a goof and really loves to sit on her branch and channel her inner Green Tree Python (she will even strike, coil, and eat her meal from her branch)...
    Thank you again for this update...you made my day!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, she's really looking good! She never would have made it without your help, you've worked so hard to save her & very few people would or could have done
    what you've done. Now if only the retail stores would quit "supplying" snakes in this condition...
    The pet store I got her from doesn't seem to sell snakes any more. I don't think it's related to this snake in particular, but it's still a nice change.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2019)

Thanks

The pet store I got her from doesn't seem to sell snakes any more. I don't think it's related to this snake in particular, but it's still a nice change.

It's hard to say...I know there have been petitions circulated asking that pet stores stop supplying live animals for reasons just like this. I must admit to being on the "fence" about it: seeing unfamiliar exotic animals up close in a local store is very enticing...especially when they can become your pet...but I also know the inherent cruelty & spread of disease that goes along with them being on display in a retail world. There are some good shops around, but the bad ones seem to outnumber the good ones, and the un-enlightened "average pet buyer" has no idea. It's ultimately the pets that suffer. You many never know if that store had an outbreak among their snakes that affected their profits enough to change their minds, or if they realized (with a little help from customers) that they were in over their heads?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spoons (09-13-2019)

Thanks

I'm a little late in the game here, but I just finished reading through your updates. It's great to see success stories such as this- you did an amazing job!

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Spoons (09-13-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the updates Spoons. I don't post on these threads often - prefer to lurk and follow - but you've done an amazing job with this little girl. I tend to look at an animal's eyes as a testament for their care - whether dog, cat, snake, etc, you can really tell a lot about their eyes. Hers were so dull in the first pics, like she'd given up on life. In the pics you just posted, they're super bright and alive, and she looks so much happier. All because you didn't give up!

I sometimes think about the fine line between not saving these poor critters from the big box stores and not supporting the habit. I think it's easy to get jaded - how can we save them all? I, however, prefer to live by the tenant of the starfish story:

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.
    She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”
    The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, “Well, I made a difference to that one!”
    The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

You made a difference to this little noodle, and that's what counts.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-06-2019),LyraIsGray (05-19-2020),pretends2bnormal (09-13-2019),Spoons (09-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thank you! I really enjoy that story as well. I've gotten a little flak about the effort it's taken but I stand by my choices and now have a gorgeous little snake. What one person looks at as a 'normal' boring snake is still worth the same care as a more expensive coloration. "It's just a snake, get a new one" is something I've heard more than once, which makes me a little sad that people have that outlook on something that relies on 100% of its care to come from the person who CHOSE to buy it.

Bogertophis, RE that pet store that no longer sells, I wonder if it was the doing of the employee who helped me get the stuff I needed to take her home at such a steep discount. He was a snake owner himself and knew that the care they were providing was not up to par but couldn't change it due to store policies. One can only hope.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2019)

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast