Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 281

7 members and 274 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

snake91hall (27)
snoober (20)

» Stats

Members: 62,791
Threads: 236,068
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, crzymomo9
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Thanks
    Awww... poor baby. I was worried something like that would happen. I've seen it happen before as well.

Sadly the little one I was caring for basically peeled her skin off like yours right behind her head and it just got worse, so we had to put her down. The tissue was just too fragile to properly suture.

I'm hoping that maybe the area that your baby peeled in will be a bit easier to work with, but this may just end up being a quality of life concern. ;n;

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

I am hopeful! I actually came across an article about vitamin C deficiencies in severely malnourished snakes causing skin fragility, blistering, and spontaneous rupture with routine skin stretching - like shedding and feeding. It seems pretty extremely likely to be what she is suffering from.

It also sounds like if that's the case, it IS treatable, and should go back to normal. A large part of her skin already feels like it is back to normal snake skin.

I figure I will bring her in to my vet once more. That small spot is healing up, but there's roughly two inches of skin on one side that seems to have also torn free, but not come loose of her body, so it's a tough hard scab like area. I expect it will work it's way free. I have been doing gentle betadine washes at night, no soaks because I want that scab of skin to stay on longer, and dabbing on a little antibiotic cream.

Sounds like vitamin C supplementation is gbe key to getting the skin in good shape. It looks like there is a few ways you can do that, from injecting the prey item to injecting tbe actual snake with calcium supplement. I am hoping I can get some snake injection or water additive so she gets daily calcium.

Otherwise she's doing well! It honestly doesn't seem to hurt her too bad. She doesn't jerk when I clean or prod at it. She ate just fine the other day. She is still her curious self. I've seen snakes with much nastier burns come out the other side ok so I'm confident she will pull through as well

I am thinking I will maybe start a separate thread just for the vitamin C issue, since it seems uncommon enough that it might he useful to be finable for future snake owners. But, I will prob wait til a vet can confirm!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

RE quality of life: if it gets to that point, I will not make her suffer. However, if she is still doing well, and my vet thinks she is doing well, I will go ahead with treatment. So far she is being a rockstar, and I am hoping it stays that way - but I am not afraid of ending it if she seems to be suffering.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-15-2018),Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,909 Posts
    Hey, that's really interesting....yes, please DO start a thread about the Vitamin C thing, that's news to me & it's needs to be highlighted...and please do include the
    source article too. I'm really glad to hear she's doing well, what a trooper she is! -but with you to thank for being her guardian angel. I think she had no chance
    if you hadn't taken her home. Anyway, that would be especially awesome if extra nutrients turn out to be the answer to saving & improving her skin. Back when
    I took in a boa with similar skin tears, I treated her topically and used reptile vits/mins. on her food "in case" but I don't know the whole "rest of the story" because
    I moved out of state & re-homed her before doing so (-after I had her for about 6 mos.). And even if nutrition makes all the difference, it's still slow-going for a full
    recuperation.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314