Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

1 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've been around this block a few times, can you tell?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    (some pet stores do their own "version" by putting both snake and
    live prey in a paper bag & closing the top overnight...but that won't work for all snakes, especially since you have to handle the snake first to do it, and
    it's a little too close for comfort for some of them...it's similar to the guy dropping mice "on" the snake...either one is too much like the prey approaching
    the snake, instead of the other way around, and as happens in nature.)
    The only time I ever have this trick work is with flighty colubrid babies. I'll take one of those clear betta cups with the quarter sized holes in the lid, put a pinky in there with the little guy and let them slip back out through the lid when they're done.

The only reason it works is sometimes these little guys just get so worked up they hide everywhere when you try to show them the pinky. Once they have a minute to refocus they grab it and go no problems.

Ball pythons almost never act this way for me. So tricks like that aren't very likely to work.

Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    The only time I ever have this trick work is with flighty colubrid babies. I'll take one of those clear betta cups with the quarter sized holes in the lid, put a pinky in there with the little guy and let them slip back out through the lid when they're done.

The only reason it works is sometimes these little guys just get so worked up they hide everywhere when you try to show them the pinky. Once they have a minute to refocus they grab it and go no problems.

Ball pythons almost never act this way for me. So tricks like that aren't very likely to work.
    Yes, I agree...the bag or deli cup can work pretty well (also with f/t pinks) for the small flighty type snakes. The idea is similar but not the same as what I suggested
    for the ball python: the "bowl ambush" does work for them. Either way, you're helping the snake to focus while feeling secure enough to take food.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

Every nervous 'fussy' Royal I've encountered over the years would ONLY ever strike from within their hides and even then the food had to be real warm and took numerous attempts .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-12-2018 at 03:06 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I'm gonna have to keep the bowl trick in mind. Cause yeah, that would fit more with the ball python kind of mentality. I have a fussy girl that like to perch on top of her hide too so that might do well for her.

Like you said, dropping the mouse on them freaks them out quite a bit. The colubrids do a bit easier with that and realize food before the panic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I'm gonna have to keep the bowl trick in mind. Cause yeah, that would fit more with the ball python kind of mentality. I have a fussy girl that like to perch on top of her hide too so that might do well for her....
    I had a hatchling BP that had to perch on top of driftwood to pounce on a fuzzy crawling below it for the first feed. And I've used the bowl-trick for various snakes that
    need to see some motion but also need to approach & watch it for a while from a "safe distance" first, without the clueless mouse walking right up to the snake & freaking
    it out, & without the mouse crawling off to hide somewhere in the substrate. So yes, this is just another trick to keep in mind for any snake that may need "assertiveness
    training". It's also a good way to keep the snake from getting a mouth-full of substrate when they're still learning...I've had them do that & then they don't want the
    mouse, lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-12-2018)

Thanks

Update

She is doing well! She came to me at 50 grams, and is now 68. She weighed 61 when the pet store got her in. (Of course she's grown longer and this is still skinny).

She has eaten two good meals of a mouse fuzzy with me, and had one good (if small) poop. This tells me get gut is working like it should be. I offered the last fuzzy like I did the first time since it was tried and true, and put it in at night and shut lights off and went to bed. Gone in the morning.

Today is the first day I've taken her out really since her initial getting settled. She balled up, but after a couple minutes actually uncurled to do a little exploring. Not the panicked 'I need to hide' exploring either! I didn't keep her out long. I just wanted an updated weight and some updated pics, and she's back in her tank.

Here are some pics. She is obviously still underweight by quite a bit. I tried to get a few pics that show the wrinkles on her neck and head. Her whole spine is still visible. But, there is slow improvement. I think we are on the right track.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-17-2018),Bogertophis (08-17-2018),richardhind1972 (08-18-2018)

Thanks
    Poor crinkly snake...but heading in the right direction at least. She's so lucky to have a patient owner who cares about her.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Sounds like good things are happening. Your doing a fantastic job and that is one lucky snake. Weight gain is a positive for sure. Look forward to more good news in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

I'd just leave her alone ... given she just ate a few days ago and that she's so underweight/ dehydrated? / having injections every three days ? ...

I just don't think you're helping at all by disturbing/ handling and weighing ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-17-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast