Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

2 members and 3,023 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

This is a complex one given her weight .... if you're lifting the hide its possible that's it's simply not settled in yet .

If it WASA a good weight I'd leave alone totally for seven days then try the hairdryer method ....

Oh well .. good luck ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Re: Brought home a severely underweight BP baby. Please help me get her back on track

I haven't lifted it since her second soak, I've restrained myself and left her tank 100% alone except to give her water. It is a tricky situation, given her weight. I'd be so happy if she just ate one thing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-11-2018),Zincubus (08-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I did, I picked one up yesterday and tried once it was dark. I even covered 3 sides of the tank on brown paper and turned on only the light in the adjacent room to see by. Tried 7-8 times, and then left it in the hide entryway over night

"Ungrateful snake!" sorry for your struggles, I sure know what it's like...hang in there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

It may not be conventional, but with several of our ball pythons we've had to remove the hide during feeding the first couple of times. I'm not saying this is necessarily a solution in your situation, as every snake is different, but we've had several that showed absolutely no interest in the rodent while in their hides so we took the hides away and they ate no problem. Now that everyone is eating like a champ it doesn't matter if they're in the hides or not. Most of the time they're out patrolling on feeding night anyway, lol.

It's just tricky because you don't want to overly stress her by offering too frequently, but at the same time she needs to eat.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

I think if she wasn't so damn shy I might try that. She's so timid, even one one single time I saw her poking her nose out of her hide the second she saw me she was gone, and usually she's in the back of her hide with her face hidden when I peek in there. She will get better with time, but I'm not sure taking the hide away would work for her

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-11-2018)

Thanks
    She ate!

I went to the reptile store near me to get a live fuzzy. The guy who worked there was a real know it all. I was trying to explain my situation (hey, another opinion couldn't hurt) and he cut me off every 5 words to tell me what I should be doing and talked down to me like I was 10. Asked if I was sure it wasn't just stuck shed, I showed him the picture of her I posted at the beginning of the thread and he goes, "She looks fine, that's just a little stuck shed." In that condescending tone. I didn't really ever even get to finish what I was saying because he tossed two live fuzzies in a bag and said "here, drop these on top of her and leave the room. She'll eat." and I didn't really want to keep talking to him much, so I took them and left. (One went to my adult Argus, since I didn't need two). Not that this is relevant, it was just really frustrating to be talked to like that.

I put it in the tank at night before I went to sleep. Lights off, making as little noise as possible. I did stay for a few seconds to watch, and the little thing crawled right into her hide and crawled over her, and she didn't react. I did get up to pee an hour and a half later and peeked and the poor fuzzy was still crawling around in there. But, when I woke up, it was gone - so I have to assume in the middle of the night when she was sure it was safe and quiet she decided to eat.

Now, if she can just keep that up, that would be great!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    She ate!

I went to the reptile store near me to get a live fuzzy. The guy who worked there was a real know it all. I was trying to explain my situation (hey, another opinion couldn't hurt) and he cut me off every 5 words to tell me what I should be doing and talked down to me like I was 10. Asked if I was sure it wasn't just stuck shed, I showed him the picture of her I posted at the beginning of the thread and he goes, "She looks fine, that's just a little stuck shed." In that condescending tone. I didn't really ever even get to finish what I was saying because he tossed two live fuzzies in a bag and said "here, drop these on top of her and leave the room. She'll eat." and I didn't really want to keep talking to him much, so I took them and left. (One went to my adult Argus, since I didn't need two). Not that this is relevant, it was just really frustrating to be talked to like that.

I put it in the tank at night before I went to sleep. Lights off, making as little noise as possible. I did stay for a few seconds to watch, and the little thing crawled right into her hide and crawled over her, and she didn't react. I did get up to pee an hour and a half later and peeked and the poor fuzzy was still crawling around in there. But, when I woke up, it was gone - so I have to assume in the middle of the night when she was sure it was safe and quiet she decided to eat.

Now, if she can just keep that up, that would be great!
    After a day or so I'd check in ever nook and cranny in the viv and under the substrate .. if you didn't actually see him eat it ..
    Especially if you notice a pungent smell ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018)

Thanks

This is a good idea - I did do a peek under each hide, and didn't see it, and the substrate isn't thick enough for burrowing. It's a 10 gallon, few places to hide. That said, I didn't pick her up or look too hard under the hot hide because I didn't want to stress her out, so there's that small chance it might be under her or scuffled in with the aspen. I will definitely keep an eye out, I don't need a mouse going bad in there!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I usually listen for the "squeak"...for all you know, it might be curled up with the snake, as the warmth feels like it's mom. I would check.

Also, I disagree with the "know-it-all" guy...I wouldn't drop them on top of a shy snake. One thing you might try with a live fuzzy is: put a tip-proof
    heavy bowl in the cage (flat bottom & at least 2" deep) and leave the fuzzy in the bowl. It will crawl around but not escape. Your hungry snake should
    likely follow the scent & not be put off by a clueless mouse that seems to approach it. Snakes instinctively feel braver when they have the "upper hand"
    and can look down upon prey wiggling past them...like from a ledge, only this "ledge" will be the edge of your bowl. The added bonus is that the mouse
    will be easy to find & you'll know the answer without a cage search.

Another thing you could do is to set up exactly as above ***while the snake is IN the hide***- putting the bowl w/ fuzzy near the hide opening so you can
    put an empty cardboard box over both the bowl & the hide w/ snake...this will help the mouse scent waft into the hide, and give more privacy overnight.
    It's an easy check to just lift the box next morning to see in the fuzzy is still in the bowl or not, without invading your snake's actual hide.

I have used the fuzzy-in-a-bowl trick before with success, & I hope it works for you. (some pet stores do their own "version" by putting both snake and
    live prey in a paper bag & closing the top overnight...but that won't work for all snakes, especially since you have to handle the snake first to do it, and
    it's a little too close for comfort for some of them...it's similar to the guy dropping mice "on" the snake...either one is too much like the prey approaching
    the snake, instead of the other way around, and as happens in nature.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Ooh, good idea! I bet if it was the dead of night she would come out looking for it. I thought maybe she'd want to eat in her hide. And no, I certainly didn't drop it on her! I just smiled and nodded and thanked the guy for his advice since people like that don't take well to being told they might be wrong about stuff, especially since he seemed to have already made up his mind about me being clueless. I suppose there's no chance she wouldn't find it, too. I need to go find a few crocks as it is, since their water dishes evaporate too fast for my liking (both hers and the sand boa's). Trip to wal mart is in order.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast