Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,983

0 members and 1,983 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Sand boa climbed!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, snakes are pretty flexible but sometimes they actually hurt themselves too. I remember (on another forum) that someones snake died from pushing thru
    the gap in a plastic cage (a "critter cottage" with the vents like a "comb"...some of the "teeth" were broken...it was awful & gruesome) so I totally "get" worrying.

That pet store boa was many years ago in another state, & no sorry, I don't recall any more than that...not the specific kind. They weren't the best pet store -
    they often sold w/c imported snakes with mites & other issues, so I can't say that falls were the only thing their boa suffered from.
    Um... Correct me if I'm wrong, but snakes are not meant to be kept in hamster cages? But I'd be so heartbroken if I came home to that... I swear my heart stopped when I realized that was him hanging off the rim of the aquarium. But I worry over all my babies. Furred, gilled and scaled.
    That poor boa. Hopefully his/her snake heaven is full of safe logs to climb on, appropriate sized food, and no mites or bugs.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    Um... Correct me if I'm wrong, but snakes are not meant to be kept in hamster cages? But I'd be so heartbroken if I came home to that... I swear my heart stopped when I realized that was him hanging off the rim of the aquarium. But I worry over all my babies. Furred, gilled and scaled.
    That poor boa. Hopefully his/her snake heaven is full of safe logs to climb on, appropriate sized food, and no mites or bugs.
    That reference was not a boa, as I recall it was some type of colubrid, but either way "critter cottages" are not "hamster cages" but multipurpose & very functional.
    I use them all the time as temporary caging when I clean my snake's enclosures, and I used to use them when I raised hatchling/neonates too, but none of mine are
    (or ever were) broken. That was a HORRIBLE mistake on the part of that snake owner...& I think he or she (?) almost needed therapy, as did everyone who read
    about it. But the reason for sharing the episode is to learn from the mistakes of others...not everyone sees the train coming when they step on the tracks. And
    despite warnings, there are still many equally-bad caging & decor mistakes posted on forums that are "accidents waiting to happen". Not to mention in the real
    world, like all the chicken-wire (& similar "bird netting") that snakes get stuck & die in, or six-pack rings that get stuck choking curious mammals & sea life. We can
    all be better stewards of wildlife if we learn, care & share.

Thanks
    Okay, so he was fed a pinkie mouse the other day because the shop was sold out of fuzzies. I will be going back and getting some tomorrow. I'm curious to know what substrate your boas are on? Jasper has been on sand since I got him. Scooping daily and doing full changes monthly. The breeder had him on a bare bottom tank with a sandwich tupperware of dirt if he felt like digging. (Probably should have been my first clue something was wrong)
    I have a sandwich tupperware that I feed him in, which I leave in his enclosure. Because he WILL NOT eat if taken out. So I set it on the sand, scoop him into it and feed him, when he's done he just slithers back into the sand and I remove the container.

Thanks

I feed mine directly in the enclosure, best not to move them or stress them out before or after eating. I keep him on sand and he loves it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Avsha531; 08-09-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks

Question Okay, Hopefully this is better? Maybe??

So I went to the petshop to get some frozen mice fuzzies right? BUT THEY WERE SOLD OUT AGAIN! I talked to the snake guy, who is legit I have gotten very good advice from him in the past. I told him the whole thing, cruddy breeder, how old he is and his size. He totally agreed I needed to up his meals. But the store is going through a remodel right now, so shipments are small and farther apart. He said they wouldn't get in any more frozen mice fuzzies until *next* friday. Eight days from now! So he recommended I get some rat pinkies. He showed me some of the live mice fuzzies they had and they are similar in size. And I know rats have more nutrients. The current plan is to see if Jasper takes the rat pinkie this week and maybe get him fuzzies next week? My ball python will eat whatever I offer him, so the rat pinkies will be a little snack for him, if that's the case. Or if Jasper takes them, should I just feed him those?
    I'm hoping I made a good choice What should I do? Did I do bad? I have a rat pinkie thawing right now to offer to Jasper later....

Thanks
    Mice & rats are very similar in terms of nutrients. I'd see if he'll take a rat pinky, but they do smell & taste differently, so he may have his own opinion about them.
    A rat pink is about the size of a mouse fuzzy, but a little more digestible (no hair)...either way, good nutrition if he accepts. I hope he does.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Mice & rats are very similar in terms of nutrients. I'd see if he'll take a rat pinky, but they do smell & taste differently, so he may have his own opinion about them.
    A rat pink is about the size of a mouse fuzzy, but a little more digestible (no hair)...either way, good nutrition if he accepts. I hope he does.
    So I offered it and he took it pretty quick, wrapping around. Jasper is a bit picky in HOW he eats. He won't eat out side of his enclosure, he won't eat on his sand, he'll only eat with the lights off and you can't watch him. (But he's never missed a meal) So I walked away for a minute then came back and he was leaving his little sandwich feed box. Got my tongs, picked the rat up again and again Jasper attacked and coiled. Walked away for a couple minutes and when I came back he was halfway done eating it. Once he was done I was able to see and pretty big lump in his body. It was obvious where his meal was. And I'm super happy he ate it.
    So should I get mice fuzzies next week? Or should I feed him the rat pinkies while I have them?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    I'd feed him the rat pinks you have, since they're an obvious success. Many snakes happily accept either rats or mice without being fussy or hooked on
    only one. When I used to breed rats and mice, I often switched things up for my snakes as it might be in the wild, no problems as long as size is right.

Thanks
    So after I fed him the rat pinkie, he immediately went into shed. Whenever he finishes, I plan on feeding him another.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (08-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    So after I fed him the rat pinkie, he immediately went into shed. Whenever he finishes, I plan on feeding him another.
    Sounds good!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast