Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,587

1 members and 2,586 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Sand boa climbed!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Are you using anything for ambient temps? They like it warmer than BP's.

Also that does seem a little small/skinny for an adult male, I personally feed once a week (while he eats). What are you feeding?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have a heat lamp, with the weakest bulb I can find, that I have on during the day. I thought about upping it to once a week but everyone said "Noooo! Sand Boas only need fed every other week!!" So I was sitting like.... but he's tiny? I feed him thawed pinkie mice, same as I've fed since I got him. Since I've had him he's only grown in length, but not girth. He was about 8 or 9 inches when I got him two years ago (and he was supposed to be about two when I got him). But the breeder assured me he was just a slow grower, and also said he was a picky eater. But he hasn't at all been a picky eater for me. So I wonder if I just got him from a bad breeder...? But I read they were slow growers, so wasn't concerned. But a pinkie mouse is just big enough to give him a little lump in his body.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    I have a heat lamp, with the weakest bulb I can find, that I have on during the day. I thought about upping it to once a week but everyone said "Noooo! Sand Boas only need fed every other week!!" So I was sitting like.... but he's tiny? I feed him thawed pinkie mice, same as I've fed since I got him. Since I've had him he's only grown in length, but not girth. He was about 8 or 9 inches when I got him two years ago (and he was supposed to be about two when I got him). But the breeder assured me he was just a slow grower, and also said he was a picky eater. But he hasn't at all been a picky eater for me. So I wonder if I just got him from a bad breeder...? But I read they were slow growers, so wasn't concerned. But a pinkie mouse is just big enough to give him a little lump in his body.
    Is the bulb in the viv / rub ?

If so does it have a cage or guard around it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Pinkie mice are way too small for an adult sand boa, and they have zero nutrition basically just water and fat. Snakes need the bones hair etc for a complete diet. I'd suggest switching to fuzzies asap and trying to make your way to a small hopper, especially if you are feeding every other week. That could also help with the climbing behavior, the little dude is probably hungry

1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Is the bulb in the viv / rub ?

If so does it have a cage or guard around it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It sits on top of the mesh lid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2018)

Thanks

Pinkie mice are way too small for an adult sand boa, and they have zero nutrition basically just water and fat. Snakes need the bones hair etc for a complete diet. I'd suggest switching to fuzzies asap and trying to make your way to a small hopper, especially if you are feeding every other week. That could also help with the climbing behavior, the little dude is probably hungry

But wouldn't fuzzies be to big for him? A pinkie already leaves a little lump. He's only slightly bigger around than a pencil. I'm even wondering now the breeder knew how old he was. I'm starting to think he's younger than I was told. I'll start thawing a pinkie out to feed him today, though he may or may not eat it. Hit tail looks like he's about to shed.

Thanks

But wouldn't fuzzies be to big for him? A pinkie already leaves a little lump. He's only slightly bigger around than a pencil. I'm even wondering now the breeder knew how old he was. I'm starting to think he's younger than I was told. I'll start thawing a pinkie out to feed him today, though he may or may not eat it. Hit tail looks like he's about to shed.
    Even at like 4 months mine was already on fuzzies. I'm sure he can probably take one down no problem, and that should help with growth as well. From what I've seen, snakes don't really grow very much when they're only eating pinkies. Pencil sized for a ksb even a year old is VERY thin

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Just to clarify, I am referring to mice, not rats

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (08-04-2018)

Thanks

Even at like 4 months mine was already on fuzzies. I'm sure he can probably take one down no problem, and that should help with growth as well. From what I've seen, snakes don't really grow very much when they're only eating pinkies. Pencil sized for a ksb even a year old is VERY thin

Okay, I'll pick up some fuzzies while I'm out today and cross my fingers this helps. I mean he's a big bigger than a pencil but I can't think of something about his size to compare it to. But I had a feeling something was wrong, but I was doing what I had read on ksb care websites so I figured maybe he was just small. I feel so bad , hopefully now I'll switch him to bigger meals and he'll grow more properly... Either the breeder didn't know his age or was just starving him then passed that knowledge onto me.

Thanks

Okay, I'll pick up some fuzzies while I'm out today and cross my fingers this helps. I mean he's a big bigger than a pencil but I can't think of something about his size to compare it to. But I had a feeling something was wrong, but I was doing what I had read on ksb care websites so I figured maybe he was just small. I feel so bad , hopefully now I'll switch him to bigger meals and he'll grow more properly... Either the breeder didn't know his age or was just starving him then passed that knowledge onto me.
    Sounds good, please keep us posted. Would love to see some pics!

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Sneaky sneaky snakes. I was so worried when he fell, though someone else said there's was nothing I could have done for him not to. I'm going to try and block that rim with something so he can't. He looked so squished under the mesh!! I was worried he was actually squished, I forgot snakes are pretty much muscle and can do that.
    I feel for that pet store. Do you know what kind of boa? I would love to know. I know snakes aren't the brightest, so I sometimes hover mom around my babies when they're out. I just worry so much about my scaled babies. My ball python is pretty active for his species, so having him out is a bit of an ordeal. It's always watching him and trying to support him, while trying to allow him to explore as he wants (within reason). Jasper will usually curl up in my hand and watch tv with me.
    Well, snakes are pretty flexible but sometimes they actually hurt themselves too. I remember (on another forum) that someones snake died from pushing thru
    the gap in a plastic cage (a "critter cottage" with the vents like a "comb"...some of the "teeth" were broken...it was awful & gruesome) so I totally "get" worrying.

That pet store boa was many years ago in another state, & no sorry, I don't recall any more than that...not the specific kind. They weren't the best pet store -
    they often sold w/c imported snakes with mites & other issues, so I can't say that falls were the only thing their boa suffered from.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast