Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

0 members and 2,816 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Sand boa climbed!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    Shoulder I tuck something under the rim so he can't anymore? Any suggestions? I don't know what to do.
    I still am racking my brain on HOW he got up there
    There was no way for you to 'catch him' before...he was going to fall no matter what you did, so don't feel too guilty. I've had snakes do this too...in fact, I've
    had 3'+ corn snakes that rippled their entire body along the top rim of a larger (& taller) tank, and hang on really well. Corn snakes, admittedly, are better
    suited to climbing, but even my round-bodied rosy boa will climb things. (-as they do in the wild, they climb into shrubs) One reason snakes escape their cages
    is that they have nothing but time to keep trying things.

And yes, you could probably find something* to fit into the rim so he can no longer hang onto it. *Measure the gap & stroll thru the nearest hardware/home
    improvement store, & when they ask if you'd like some help (assuming?) tell them what you're looking for. I know there is wood molding & wood dowels that
    would work, but wood is porous & you have better things to do than coating it, so while it's easy to cut to fit, it might not be the best choice. A better choice
    would be something made of plastic, and you'll also need fast-drying non-toxic glue to hold it in place. (put snake in a side cage when you do this & while the
    glue dries...make sure no fumes remain before he goes back in) You might even have a fat old electric extension cord laying around that would work? I'm not
    seeing the rim you're trying to fill in, but you get the idea? If that was me, yes, I'd modify the rim so he can't hang on & then fall again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (08-04-2018)

Thanks

"Get a sand boa, he'll never climb". Yeah right lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2018),C.Marie (08-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-04-2018),mischiefneko (08-04-2018)

Thanks
    That's why I love snakes...they're full of surprises.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    "Get a sand boa, he'll never climb". Yeah right lol
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I've never seen him do it in the almost three years I've had him. Do they eventually just go down? He looked like he was squished so I was trying to save him.
    How old is your boa by the way? Jasper is five or six and I feel like he should be bigger...
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 08-04-2018 at 04:15 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (08-04-2018)

Thanks
    My baby KSB sometimes climbs on the display box for my temperature probe and pokes around. She's a curious little sand boa.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2018)

Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I've never seen him do it in the almost three years I've had him. Do they eventually just go down? He looked like he was squished so I was trying to save him....
    Did we mention that snakes are "sneaky"? Some snakes (like these) usually cannot get down without falling, & actually falls CAN do some damage*, so they're
    better to prevent when & if you can. But you can't prevent them all, either for your snake or yourself, that's just "life". (Snakes like corn snakes are so good at
    climbing -partly because their scutes are "designed" for it- that they can sometimes get back down without falling. Not always though.)

*Where I used to live there was a pet store with a large boa in a huge walk-in cage...the "store mascot". The enclosure had several logs, about 6" diameter, that
    were angled & installed well above the floor (4-5' as best I can recall, but may have been higher?) for the snake to climb on, which he did. One day they found the
    snake had died, & the vet who did the necropsy said he had gangrenous tissue apparently from falls off the branches. Just "for what it's worth".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (08-04-2018)

Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I've never seen him do it in the almost three years I've had him. Do they eventually just go down? He looked like he was squished so I was trying to save him.
    How old is your boa by the way? Jasper is five or six and I feel like he should be bigger...
    He's about 3. The males don't get very big, and are notorious for going on food strikes. Those pictures were from around 4 month ago, and I switched him from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon soon thereafter and haven't seen any climbing since. However, i also haven't seen any climbing since his last food strike ended (before i switched tanks), so maybe that has something to do with it as well. He's the only snake that has ever escaped, about 2 years ago, and found him not 2 feet away from his cage

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    He's about 3. The males don't get very big, and are notorious for going on food strikes. Those pictures were from around 4 month ago, and I switched him from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon soon thereafter and haven't seen any climbing since. However, i also haven't seen any climbing since his last food strike ended (before i switched tanks), so maybe that has something to do with it as well. He's the only snake that has ever escaped, about 2 years ago, and found him not 2 feet away from his cage

I know males don't get very big. But I've seen adult males (long sausages) and Jasper is very skinny. And from what I've read he's supposed to be full grown by now. He's about 17 inches and a little bigger around than a pencil.But he eats every 10-14 days eagerly, and all his temps are right?
    Jasper has never gone on food strike, only when he's about to shed. I guess I got lucky in that way. I have a ball python also, who are known picky eaters. The breeder was feeding live and he's taken thawed from me with zero issue. lol

Thanks

I know males don't get very big. But I've seen adult males (long sausages) and Jasper is very skinny. And from what I've read he's supposed to be full grown by now. He's about 17 inches and a little bigger around than a pencil.But he eats every 10-14 days eagerly, and all his temps are right?
    Jasper has never gone on food strike, only when he's about to shed. I guess I got lucky in that way. I have a ball python also, who are known picky eaters. The breeder was feeding live and he's taken thawed from me with zero issue. lol
    Are you using anything for ambient temps? They like it warmer than BP's.

Also that does seem a little small/skinny for an adult male, I personally feed once a week (while he eats). What are you feeding?

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Did we mention that snakes are "sneaky"? Some snakes (like these) usually cannot get down without falling, & actually falls CAN do some damage*, so they're
    better to prevent when & if you can. But you can't prevent them all, either for your snake or yourself, that's just "life". (Snakes like corn snakes are so good at
    climbing -partly because their scutes are "designed" for it- that they can sometimes get back down without falling. Not always though.)

*Where I used to live there was a pet store with a large boa in a huge walk-in cage...the "store mascot". The enclosure had several logs, about 6" diameter, that
    were angled & installed well above the floor (4-5' as best I can recall, but may have been higher?) for the snake to climb on, which he did. One day they found the
    snake had died, & the vet who did the necropsy said he had gangrenous tissue apparently from falls off the branches. Just "for what it's worth".
    Sneaky sneaky snakes. I was so worried when he fell, though someone else said there's was nothing I could have done for him not to. I'm going to try and block that rim with something so he can't. He looked so squished under the mesh!! I was worried he was actually squished, I forgot snakes are pretty much muscle and can do that.
    I feel for that pet store. Do you know what kind of boa? I would love to know. I know snakes aren't the brightest, so I sometimes hover mom around my babies when they're out. I just worry so much about my scaled babies. My ball python is pretty active for his species, so having him out is a bit of an ordeal. It's always watching him and trying to support him, while trying to allow him to explore as he wants (within reason). Jasper will usually curl up in my hand and watch tv with me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast