Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,759

0 members and 2,759 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Very cool thread. Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Hook Training Instruction Thread with Video

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Paper towel roll is pretty short though, I think you want it to be longer than strike range.
    Well it depends on the snake and what they are doing. If generally docile and sleeping in a coil, paper towel roll is fine to wake them up plus smaller snakes have a shorter strike range
    For the Horde!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    I've been trying to hook-train my white-lipped python, but no matter what, he immediately gets defensive
    defensive is different than knocking them out of food drive.
    As most snakes get older and bigger, then aren't as defensive as they grow more confident.
    Some take a lot more work than others.
    Hook training plus shield usage usually can work to get them out, then gentle and secure handling over time can help knock out the defensiveness. Some are just more touchy than others and some are always going to be crabby about handling.
    I hope things get better with time
    For the Horde!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-04-2018),dakski (08-04-2018),richardhind1972 (08-04-2018),ryu80 (08-31-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Funny I have read this thread not long ago and now after getting a Boa and had it recommended must say it’s a good read. When I was at the pet store buying my Boa the gal that assisted me just went right in with a hook and picked her up. Needless to say the snake was not happy and striking at the worker who admitted the snake doesn’t much care for her. Kinda rings a bell with the recommendation in this write up to not use to pick up.
    I figure I can train all three of my snakes this way, seems like a consistent way to communicate it’s time for handling.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-30-2018),richardhind1972 (08-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

An update to this thread.

Behira was rearing to go tonight and wanted food. She was ready to strike and darty and had a fast tongue, etc.

The lights were on (I always feed at night with the lights off - and that's when I get door strikes from her), but she was still in "hunt" mode as it was getting late and near lights out and feeding time (although she's off by 10 days ).

I used the hook to calm here down and spontaneously shot an iPhone video of it (one handed - sorry for the poor camera work, and for the socks with crocks - it's cold here in CT and it's not like I wore them out or knew I was going to shoot a video ).

I hope it's helpful for everyone, especially about reading snake body language.

Video of getting Behira out of food mode and ready to be picked up and handled: https://streamable.com/xdizt

Before the hook

2 Minutes after being out

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020),richardhind1972 (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I use a drumstick. lol I just give them a rub and if they look like they are in a mood to be handled I'll handle them. If not, I let it go. Just for the boas. I don't do anything special for the BPs. I just pick them up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    I use a drumstick. lol I just give them a rub and if they look like they are in a mood to be handled I'll handle them. If not, I let it go. Just for the boas. I don't do anything special for the BPs. I just pick them up.
    Rock on Cletus!

Seriously, I don't worry about Shayna (BP) at all. She has about the weakest food response of any snake I've ever met. She usually take the F/T rat gently and drags into her house quietly to eat. She also doesn't have a mean/defensive bone in her body.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

cletus (01-12-2019),richardhind1972 (01-12-2019)

Thanks

I posted this on Feliz's (my BCC) thread. Hook training works amazingly well and I was surprised how well it worked in that situation.

I had a friend over and Feliz was striking the acrylic doors hoping for food. I opened the tank, showed him the hook handle and rubbed him a few times with it. He let me pick him up a few seconds later and was a total sweetheart.

Hook training working wonders.

My friend's mind was blown. He went from being petrified of him to holding him. He is not afraid of snakes, but did not like Feliz going after the doors.

Thanks

I have three boas now, and all three, and my carpet python, are hook trained.

I've had the boas in hunt mode and snapped them out pretty quick with the hook method. However, tonight was a first. Lights out in tanks and feeding time, I went to take out Behira (now about 5 1/2 feet and almost 2K grams). She immediately nailed the door in a food response, but I quickly opened the door and showed her the hook handle and rubbed her neck and down her body. Within two rubs she was calm and let me pick her up with zero issues.

I wanted to point out that I am never worried during the day/lights on taking any of animals out especially with the hook. However, I had no idea how Behira would react to a nighttime/feeding time. She came through with flying colors.

Another point for hook training.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (04-18-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I have three boas now, and all three, and my carpet python, are hook trained.

I've had the boas in hunt mode and snapped them out pretty quick with the hook method. However, tonight was a first. Lights out in tanks and feeding time, I went to take out Behira (now about 5 1/2 feet and almost 2K grams). She immediately nailed the door in a food response, but I quickly opened the door and showed her the hook handle and rubbed her neck and down her body. Within two rubs she was calm and let me pick her up with zero issues.

I wanted to point out that I am never worried during the day/lights on taking any of animals out especially with the hook. However, I had no idea how Behira would react to a nighttime/feeding time. She came through with flying colors.

Another point for hook training.
    It's amazing how these animals respond with continuous repetition from experienced and responsible keepers like yourself. I'm a big believer in hook training and would recommend it to anyone with food aggressive snakes.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-18-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast