Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

2 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Sneak Peek - My New Super Ghost BCI

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I'm not sure about his weight but he's about 18 inches long and I believe about 4 months old. Definitely using tongs...in fact I bought some new ones for the quarantine process.

I assume just like for a BP, to let them go for about 3 feedings before handling, etc.....
    Good on tongs and good on tongs just for him. Good quarantine procedure.

If he's eating small mice now, keep on that definitely until he's really settled in. In general, you want the prey item to leave a small bulge in the body of the BCI, but have it be gone within about 1 day. Again, less is more. Behira, at 1,000G could eat a 100-110G medium rat pretty easily, but I am still feeding 75-90G small rats for now. I'd rather feed 7-8% of body weight (less important than snake width) than 10-11% for her. Easier to digest, and it only means a few grams less growth each feeding, but long-term is better for her. Also, because of rat maturity, fat content, etc. the larger you go with prey, the less frequently you need to feed (I'll lay it out in a second). When Behira does go to medium rats, she will eat every 3 weeks instead of every 2 like she is now.

Here's how I would feed a male BCI.

Small mice: 1X weekly.

Adult mice: 1X weekly.

When too big for adult mice, I would switch to weaned rats (30-50G but stay on the small side to start). BCI's will pretty much eat anything and switching over to rats should not be a problem. For ease and health reasons it makes sense to go to weaned rats from adult mice. Jumbo mice are fatty and not ideal. BCI's don't do great with fatty meals in general, and need lean protein while growing.

Weaned Rats: 1X weekly

Small Rats (60-90G): 1X every two (2) weeks.

Medium rats (95-140G): 1X every three (3) weeks.

Large rats (180-280G): 1X every 3-4 weeks, probably closer to 4.

IF he gets big:

Jumbo rats (300-400G): 1X every 4-5 weeks (I would recommend smaller and every 4 as opposed to a big one every 5 weeks).

They sell colossal rats too that are 400-600G or so. They tend to be retired breeders and are generally a little too fatty and harder to digest. I would recommend, on the off chance he gets over 5,000 grams, that you feed either two large rats every 4 weeks or so or one jumbo every 3-4.

As an adult, which will be a long ways from now (4-6 years if fed properly for a BCI to reach adult size/weight - probably more on the 5-6 year timeframe), you can experiment and see how well he's maintaining weight with less food and adjust. If he's losing, feed more often or bigger prey. If he's gaining, cut back. Captive BCI's can get heavy pretty quick and it's hard to take the weight off. Keep him lean and fit.

Regarding handling. I think most BCI's are a lot braver than your average BP. However, I would get a good two meals into him before anything other than necessary handling (tank cleaning, water bowl changes, etc.). I do recommend removing him and placing him in a holding container when cleaning. BCI's are curious and think about food a lot. Would hate for your hand to get mistaken for dinner. I always remove Behira before doing anything in her tank. I generally do with the BP (Shayna) as well, but it's only 50% necessary, and my corns really don't care too much what I do in the tank. However, to be extra safe, I usually remove them too.

When you do start handling him, after two good meals, I would take it slow, be gentle, and very short handling sessions. Once he's got 3-4 meals in him, you are home free and can stop working with him a lot more.

I hope this helps and don't be shy about asking for clarification, or any other questions. He's a stunner and has found a good home.

Additionally, the above is my opinion and what I have settled on after reading everything I can find on BCI's, talking to multiple breeders, vets, other keepers, and years on this forum. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to do so. Not the word of G-D, but I hope it's a good starting point.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-02-2018),richardhind1972 (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    It's been a long time since I had BCI's but in my experience they are not shy with handling. They tend to be inquisitive and confident snakes that have no fears interacting with people. BUT, I would still let him settle in first. Changing environments is stressful and you want him to feel comfortable and familiar in his new home to ensure that he's in a positive state of mind. If he doesn't feel secure in his new place yet he may be nippy.
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Congrats CK...You finally found the one! I am happy for you and can't wait to see more pictures. I love his light colors and that tail is pretty sweet... Have you thought of a name yet? Maybe wait til you get him and see how he acts a bit..
    Thank you and Yes I did find the right one!!! No names yet but I was thinking I was going to try and stay with a ‘Ghost’ referenced name but couldn’t come up with any that sounded good. I’m still searching so any suggestions would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    It'sbeen a long time since I had BCI's but in my experience they are not shy with handling. They tend to be inquisitive and confident snakes that have no fears interacting with people. BUT, I would still let him settle in first. Changing environments is stressful and you want him to feel comfortable and familiar in his new home to ensure that he's in a positive state of mind. If he doesn't feel secure in his new place yet he may be nippy.
    Dually noted dboeren! While it was tough waiting for my BP to settle in, I’m pretty sure it helped matters once I started holding him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Good on tongs and good on tongs just for him. Good quarantine procedure.

If he's eating small mice now, keep on that definitely until he's really settled in. In general, you want the prey item to leave a small bulge in the body of the BCI, but have it be gone within about 1 day. Again, less is more. Behira, at 1,000G could eat a 100-110G medium rat pretty easily, but I am still feeding 75-90G small rats for now. I'd rather feed 7-8% of body weight (less important than snake width) than 10-11% for her. Easier to digest, and it only means a few grams less growth each feeding, but long-term is better for her. Also, because of rat maturity, fat content, etc. the larger you go with prey, the less frequently you need to feed (I'll lay it out in a second). When Behira does go to medium rats, she will eat every 3 weeks instead of every 2 like she is now.

Here's how I would feed a male BCI.

Small mice: 1X weekly.

Adult mice: 1X weekly.

When too big for adult mice, I would switch to weaned rats (30-50G but stay on the small side to start). BCI's will pretty much eat anything and switching over to rats should not be a problem. For ease and health reasons it makes sense to go to weaned rats from adult mice. Jumbo mice are fatty and not ideal. BCI's don't do great with fatty meals in general, and need lean protein while growing.

Weaned Rats: 1X weekly

Small Rats (60-90G): 1X every two (2) weeks.

Medium rats (95-140G): 1X every three (3) weeks.

Large rats (180-280G): 1X every 3-4 weeks, probably closer to 4.

IF he gets big:

Jumbo rats (300-400G): 1X every 4-5 weeks (I would recommend smaller and every 4 as opposed to a big one every 5 weeks).

They sell colossal rats too that are 400-600G or so. They tend to be retired breeders and are generally a little too fatty and harder to digest. I would recommend, on the off chance he gets over 5,000 grams, that you feed either two large rats every 4 weeks or so or one jumbo every 3-4.

As an adult, which will be a long ways from now (4-6 years if fed properly for a BCI to reach adult size/weight - probably more on the 5-6 year timeframe), you can experiment and see how well he's maintaining weight with less food and adjust. If he's losing, feed more often or bigger prey. If he's gaining, cut back. Captive BCI's can get heavy pretty quick and it's hard to take the weight off. Keep him lean and fit.

Regarding handling. I think most BCI's are a lot braver than your average BP. However, I would get a good two meals into him before anything other than necessary handling (tank cleaning, water bowl changes, etc.). I do recommend removing him and placing him in a holding container when cleaning. BCI's are curious and think about food a lot. Would hate for your hand to get mistaken for dinner. I always remove Behira before doing anything in her tank. I generally do with the BP (Shayna) as well, but it's only 50% necessary, and my corns really don't care too much what I do in the tank. However, to be extra safe, I usually remove them too.

When you do start handling him, after two good meals, I would take it slow, be gentle, and very short handling sessions. Once he's got 3-4 meals in him, you are home free and can stop working with him a lot more.

I hope this helps and don't be shy about asking for clarification, or any other questions. He's a stunner and has found a good home.

Additionally, the above is my opinion and what I have settled on after reading everything I can find on BCI's, talking to multiple breeders, vets, other keepers, and years on this forum. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to do so. Not the word of G-D, but I hope it's a good starting point.
    Wow Dakski! Wouldn't expect anything less from you. It's a lot to digest but something that I'll find myself looking at often. Currently w/ my BP feedings, I'll feed in the dark and he'll retreat to his hide so I've never noticed the size of the bulge in his body but I guess I'll have to start taking notice w/ the BCI. The breeder said he was currently on Med/Large Mice which seemed a little large for a 4 month old BCI but I guess I won't know until I take receipt of him. Hopefully I make the right decision in ordering the right size food. As always, thanks for the the well thought out responses!

Thanks

Wow Dakski! Wouldn't expect anything less from you. It's a lot to digest but something that I'll find myself looking at often. Currently w/ my BP feedings, I'll feed in the dark and he'll retreat to his hide so I've never noticed the size of the bulge in his body but I guess I'll have to start taking notice w/ the BCI. The breeder said he was currently on Med/Large Mice which seemed a little large for a 4 month old BCI but I guess I won't know until I take receipt of him. Hopefully I make the right decision in ordering the right size food. As always, thanks for the the well thought out responses!
    Thank you Ckuhn003!

I must have thought I saw small mice, not med/large. I'd confirm with the breeder, but again be consistent, but on the small side.

You can judge by checking him out the next day. For a growing snake, I never feed less than about 7% of body weight. However, as an adult, that or less can sustain them easily. My goal is about 8-10% per feeding. I think if you eye it and stick to under 10% of body weight for the prey item, you will be fine.

Again, less is more.

I feed everyone at night with the lights off. Just enough light in the room so I can see what I am doing and where the snake(s) are.

Behira knows nighttime is food time, so do all the other snakes. However, not all the other snakes, attack the doors when it's night and they are in hunt mode .

I literally take her drape down, feed her quick, and put the drape up after she wraps. I don't wait for her to finish and look for more!

Keep in mind, I keep her drape up over her tank so she doesn't strike at the doors every time I walk by at night. She's got a mad food response, not unheard of in Boas.

Once your little guys settles in and realizes food comes in his tank and at night, he'll be ready too! I hope not as ready though!

I like feeding everyone at night because it's when they naturally hunt (all my snakes are nocturnal - BCI, BP, and corns) and because day time means handling and they aren't on guard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    You can judge by checking him out the next day. .
    With my BP, I try to not disturb him for the next 48 hours after feeding which basically means that I don't get to see him since he's in his hide. Are you recommending lifting the hide w/ the BOA to check for a bulge or do BOAs tend to be more sociable and not spend 99% of the day in their hides?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Feed based on girth, nothing larger than the thickest part of the body. You can probably feed rat fuzzies no problem for a 4 month old.
    Some boas love their hides, some don't care.

Thank you and Yes I did find the right one!!! No names yet but I was thinking I was going to try and stay with a ‘Ghost’ referenced name but couldn’t come up with any that sounded good. I’m still searching so any suggestions would be great.
    Don't know if you like video games but you could do something a bit obscure like "Sagira" which is the name of Osiris' ghost in the game Destiny.
    this is Sagira, even has the same light grey coloration

just an idea
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Feed based on girth, nothing larger than the thickest part of the body. You can probably feed rat fuzzies no problem for a 4 month old.
    Some boas love their hides, some don't care.

Don't know if you like video games but you could do something a bit obscure like "Sagira" which is the name of Osiris' ghost in the game Destiny.
    this is Sagira, even has the same light grey coloration

just an idea
    Thanks for the name suggestion! Although I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the reference but I appreciate it none the less

Thanks

With my BP, I try to not disturb him for the next 48 hours after feeding which basically means that I don't get to see him since he's in his hide. Are you recommending lifting the hide w/ the BOA to check for a bulge or do BOAs tend to be more sociable and not spend 99% of the day in their hides?
    First few feedings, leave him alone for 2 days at least.

After that, you can check on him, but as AbsoluteApril said, aim for about the girth of the body and you will be fine. I get scientific and if feeding 7-8% of body weight, doubt there will be much of a bulge. It's when you start pushing past 10% that you risk that, IMO.

However, I will defer to AbsoluteApril since she has taught me much of what I know about BCI's.

Regarding hides, Behira uses them sometimes, sometimes she half uses them (tail and body in and head and neck out), and sometimes she doesn't use them at all. She's certainly not shy or timid like a BP. Very different personality both in and out of the tank. Boas curiosity and inquisitiveness tends to outweigh any fear they might have. As they get bigger, fear seems to go out the window.

My BP is almost always in her hide unless hunting. Same with my corn snakes. Behira, eh, she does what she wants.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-02-2018),richardhind1972 (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    Hide usage will probably change as he grows up too. Baby snakes are prey for almost anything so they tend to hide more. As they get bigger, they're also moving up the food chain and don't have to be as paranoid.

My carpet used to be in her hide all day and only come out at night. Now she's out a lot more in daylight and if her head is peeking out of her hide and you open the door for cleaning or whatever she'll come partway out to see what's going on.
    0.1 Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python "Lucy"
    0.1 Marter line Blood Python

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-02-2018),dakski (08-02-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast