Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

2 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Eating humans isn't the same as hunting humans in my opinion. They don't seek us out. They don't track us. A human can be eaten if they happen along and the snake is big enough (and this particular one wasn't nearly that big) but that's it. They just decided to use a scarier sounding word for sensationalism. Also, it's pretty rare. I'd hazard a guess that in countries where these snakes are only found as pets that more people are probably eaten by cats & dogs than snakes. I know I've seen stories where someone dies in their apartment and are consumed by their cats but for some reason these stories aren't hyped up as much as when a snake escapes and nobody gets hurt.

By saying that it "hunts humans", it's aggressive & hard to handle, etc... they're trying to create an impression to their readers that people shouldn't be allowed to keep these species of snakes or that is is massively irresponsible to do so (whether they got out or not).

I think the point Valyrian is trying to make is that these same exact points can also be applied to animals like dogs that are commonly accepted as "normal" pets. Actually, they may apply BETTER to dogs because dogs actually are capable of hunting prey rather than just eating whatever happens to walk up really close to them.

Additionally, "hard to handle" is ambiguous. Does it mean that they're likely to attack you, or simply that their size makes it hard for one human to carry them regardless of how friendly they may be? This allows them to imply that the snake is dangerous but still hide behind the other interpretation if anyone tries to call them out (whether this was intentional or just a happy accident of wording).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

55fingers (07-31-2018),Valyrian (07-31-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    OK, guys I am going to leave the discussion with this. I understand exactly what was meant by the dog thing.

It is in my own best interest for people to at least tolerate my reptile keeping. Keeping that in mind it is beneficial that people that keep the big boys and hots to be able to defend their choice to do so.

You are not going win a debate with an outsider by trying to justify bad behavior with another bad behavior.

Reminds me of my kids trying to get out of being punished for some infraction. Me to daughter #1, "you need to put your dolls away" daughter #1 to me "but daddy daughter #2 didn't put her playdoh away.

Doesn't work when you are a child and it doesn't work when you are an adult.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2018)

Thanks
    I understand and agree, but it can also be used to show that even animals with dangerous capabilities can be loved and kept like other pets and aren't always out to kill you. Not every dog wants to kill you, not every snake wants to kill you. If dogs, which can be very dangerous, can be kept as pets, then snakes can be as well.

However, it's important to respect both snakes and dogs for their power, just as you should any wild animal. They are still animals with instincts and can be potentiality dangerous, so yes, there should be some reverence towards those animals, but as long as they are kept responsibly, whoever keeps them should not be branded "insane".

This is simply my take on it, and I respect yours ^^

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Snakes in news again

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    I understand and agree, but it can also be used to show that even animals with dangerous capabilities can be loved and kept like other pets and aren't always out to kill you. Not every dog wants to kill you, not every snake wants to kill you. If dogs, which can be very dangerous, can be kept as pets, then snakes can be as well.

However, it's important to respect both snakes and dogs for their power, just as you should any wild animal. They are still animals with instincts and can be potentiality dangerous, so yes, there should be some reverence towards those animals, but as long as they are kept responsibly, whoever keeps them should not be branded "insane".

This is simply my take on it, and I respect yours ^^
    Obviously both snakes & dogs can be dangerous, even lethal to humans, & obviously, a loose snake did not have a responsible owner. IMO, the "buck" stops there.
    Besides a long history of humans hating snakes, another thing that promotes sensational reporting is the way snakes turn up: how many dogs pop out of toilets?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

55fingers (07-31-2018),JodanOrNoDan (07-31-2018),richardhind1972 (07-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Snakes in news again

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    ... how many dogs pop out of toilets?
    That could give a whole new meaning to "pit toilets"...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-01-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12