Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

2 members and 3,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Scaled"

Thanks

Re: "Scaled"

I have not seen a full episode yet, but did watch some clips, and I definitely get the "tanked" feel for the show. I'm glad they are using peoples existing (hopefully healthy) pets it seems though. I was not overly surprised that many of the "tanked" fish did not last 6 months :/ esp the more fragile saltwater species. I do like the fact that the animals seem shown in a good light - I get tired of the "I survived an almost not really deadly encounter with x" type shows where really human stupidity is the cause of any issues...

end rant - had a long day full of stupid questions lol
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I have not seen a full episode yet, but did watch some clips, and I definitely get the "tanked" feel for the show. I'm glad they are using peoples existing (hopefully healthy) pets it seems though. I was not overly surprised that many of the "tanked" fish did not last 6 months :/ esp the more fragile saltwater species. I do like the fact that the animals seem shown in a good light - I get tired of the "I survived an almost not really deadly encounter with x" type shows where really human stupidity is the cause of any issues...

end rant - had a long day full of stupid questions lol
    I couldn't tune in TV to the regular broadcast time either, but watched later when I had time. (link in previous post) It's far from perfect but as you said, it's progress.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I watched both episodes online. I like some of what they said, and it's nice to see these animals portrayed in a positive light. I have to say though, I was really disappointed in the ball python enclosure. They went to all that trouble to make it look like Disney Princesses lived there, but they did so little with it that will actually benefit the snakes. As far as they're concerned, they have one hide and a water bowl and barely more floor space than they had in the rack. They have more head room, but the vertical space isn't even used in ways that will particularly benefit them. With that height, they could at least have had a couple of platforms with hides, which would be at different temperatures because they'd be different distances from heating elements. They could have more branches and leaves (make them look like palace staircases and balconies if you have to match it to the princess theme?), places for the snakes to actually go. The finished product basically looks like ye olde barren tank, with a lot of window dressing.

I wish they'd be more specific about what the animals need and I wish they'd cut some of the vacuous chatter and replace it with specifics about what they're doing (and definitely address stuff like letting paints and sealants and everything dry and outgas for long enough before putting animals in, etc), but sadly this type of show never gets into the actual meat of a topic. If you're not expecting any in-depth treatment of any topic whatsoever, I suppose it's entertaining enough.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Just watched episode 2. Not impressed at all. Pretty disappointed, actually.

That "Princess" themed BP build was HORRIBLE!!! It looked like a poorly made, homemade dollhouse that was terribly repurposed into 3 BP enclosures with no practicality.
    There was more height than floor space, that "mirror" would probably drive a BP nuts and that water feature is definitely going to stress that snake. There's no place for a temp gradient, one hide, and a bunch of wasted space above. It would have made so much more sense to stack the 3 enclosures, rather than build 3 vertical enclosures.
    Clearly, these people are NOT reptile experts.

I'll try episode 3, but it might be the last episode I watch...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I didn't catch episode 3 yet either...and like you, not sure that I care. I agree totally that what they did for the 3 BPs was ridiculous & belongs in a theme-
    park for robot-creatures, not living BPs. I'm very disappointed...even with a positive spin for reptiles, it's still just more bad information. They really should
    be called out for all they did wrong...I hate to think of anyone copying their stupidity.

I guess the most offensive thing to me about what they're doing is that it all comes down to "reptile bling"...not about what the animals actually need, but
    about how to make them look cool for their owners to show off. Sadly, there's too many pet-owners (of all kinds, not only reptiles) for whom this is the main attraction of keeping them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2018 at 12:50 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (09-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Just watched episode 2. Not impressed at all. Pretty disappointed, actually.

That "Princess" themed BP build was HORRIBLE!!! It looked like a poorly made, homemade dollhouse that was terribly repurposed into 3 BP enclosures with no practicality.
    There was more height than floor space, that "mirror" would probably drive a BP nuts and that water feature is definitely going to stress that snake. There's no place for a temp gradient, one hide, and a bunch of wasted space above. It would have made so much more sense to stack the 3 enclosures, rather than build 3 vertical enclosures.
    Clearly, these people are NOT reptile experts.

I'll try episode 3, but it might be the last episode I watch...
    I just watched a bunch of the episodes I had recorded. Overall not a bad show, but some of the "experts" need to get on google and study up a bit on some of the species they are building enclosures for. The "doll house" Disney build for ball pythons was horrible. A clear hide for the one ball python. Vines in the Jungle Book themed enclosure. So the ball python could feel like its in its natural habitat to climb on. Im far from a reptile expert. Ive kept mostly ball pythons since 1993 or so. Some corns, boas, geckos, tortoises, and a burm or two. Again I far from being an expert on all things reptile. But some of the enclousers are just insane. One episode had a Bill and Teds themed enclosure. It was a pretty much an all glass phone booth.

I'd say the first few episodes were somewhat entertaining. But after that, I started to catch all the mistakes. Some of them were pretty basic common sense things. The problem with that, like with most tv shows. They are putting out the bad information to possibly millions of viewers. People that may get X reptile and then build an improper enclosure. All because they seen it on a tv show. As we learned with Venom hunters. Just becuase they are on tv. That doesnt mean they are experts.

In one episode they did a Bonny and Clyde themed set of enclosures for some ball pythons. It was cool looking, but not suitable for ball pythons.

Hopefully, there is a season two and they get some better "experts". Or do a bit better research before spewing a bunch of crap on TV.

Also in the intro to the show, they kinda take a jab at people that keep reptiles in tubs.
    Last edited by ama1997; 02-22-2019 at 08:31 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ama1997 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-22-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-23-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234