Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

0 members and 2,849 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

Twitching? Help me please!!!!!!!!

OMG omg omg

I came home from school and checked on lilah and all the other repts, and theres a huge cricket on her head (i think my mom got them crickets)

and she starts twitching her back legs and they lock up in this weird position and then they fall down and look kinda like paraliyzed or something.. I dont knwo what to do or what it is please help me!! I tried to get her out so I could soak her (like 10 min later) and it happened again!!

I really dont know what to do can you help me I am trying to find if theres and emergency vet or something please please please!!
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks

Re: Twitching? Help me please!!!!!!!!

Calcium deficiency can cause muscle paralysis, muscle spasms and so forth. Has she passed feces lately? The crickets she is fed aren't too abnormally large, are they?

Does she get unfiltered outdoor sunlight a couple times a week? Try taking her outside and leaving her for about 2 hours. What do you supplement with and how often? You may want to check your UVB bulbs' outputs.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Twitching is a common sign of calcium deficiency.

How old is she? What suppliments are you using and how often? What are you using for lighting and uv? How old are these devices?

Is she able to use her legs now or at all?

Also, I have heard that when they are fed crix too big, some twitching and leg paralysis happens due to possible impaction of the ingested crix. At this point, I would not say thats what it is definately, but thought I would mention it to you.

I think you had better think about calling a vet.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Well

She is only 5 months old, and I have had her for about 3.5 of those months, (since June..)

I feed her herptivite calcium and vitamin like every other day. I can't take them out side because everytime I try with any of my beardies, they flip out and jump and scratch and I actually dropped one of them (more like he leaped out of my hands) once..so I stopped doing that. But they have reptisuns (or it could be a reptiglow, i have both so I forget)

The crickets were HUGE. She is 12 inches long, and they were adult crickets, they were almost bigger than her head. I think my mom got them for my adult beardie and threw a few more in the littl beardie cage.. dunno tho.

My stepdad helped me soak her and we dipped some silkies in mineral oil and tried to feed them to her but she wouldnt eat them.. She is acting alot better and hasnt had a little twitch thing for an hour.

When it happened, it was a twitch throughout her legs (mainly hind, her front ones jhust barely vibrated) then they would lock up in the oddest positions (one of the two times it was like behind her back crossing over, another time it was straight up in the air and she looked like an upside down rainbow kinda) then they fall down and lay still for like 10 seconds kinda limp then she acts normal. She hasbeen fine for the past hour tho. it happened twice that I saw, i dunno if it happened while I was at school or not tho.

Thanks

If it ate a cricket that was too big, it's probably impacted. Paralysis of the hind legs is a good first sign of this. I don't know if there's a cure for it.

Thanks

Sounds like a little impaction, warm bath and a gentle belly rub and things should pass. If not get her to the vet.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Hi

Crickets (or any other insect) should be no larger than the size of the space between your beardie's eyes.

Thanks

I know that, but my mom doesn't beleive me.

Anyways she is better now.

Thanks

Did she pass something or did it just go away?
    Dawn
    1.0 Child - Cody
    1.0 BP - DareDevil (DD)
    1.1 Dogs - Buddy & Musket
    2.1 Cats - Jynx, Gus & Outdoor Cat
    1.0 Rabbit
    1.0 Hermit Crabs - Bruce Wing
    0.0.1 Skunk under porch - Pepe
    1 Sister, 1 Bro-in-law - Marianne, Donnie
    2 Nephews, 1 Niece - Jon, Gabe, Kyliegh