Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,308

0 members and 1,308 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Heating a Tub - Need Some Advice

Hi
    Important point ---
    May I enquire what kind of thermometer device are you using to check the oh so vital surface temps in the warm side ( and the cool end) ?!

As regards heating a RUB using a ceramic bulb , I only use vivs so I am not qualified to advise on the option you mentioned . Given the temperature the bulbs ( and special ceramic fitting ) reach -I'm not even sure the two can be used together - safety wise .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-29-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

Re: Heating a Tub - Need Some Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Hi

May I enquire what kind of thermometer device are you using to check the oh so vital surface temps in the warm side ( and the cool end) ?!

It’s the TG-1 Temp Gun ordered from Reptile Basics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-29-2018)

Thanks

Heating a Tub - Need Some Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Hi
    Important point ---

As regards heating a RUB using a ceramic bulb , I only use vivs so I am not qualified to advise on the option you mentioned . Given the temperature the bulbs ( and special ceramic fitting ) reach -I'm not even sure the two can be used together - safety wise .

I am using a low wattage CHE as supplemental heat for a plastic tub. My room temp is 72 and I use it to get air temp inside the tub to around 80. The plastic gets warm to the touch, but not terribly hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 07-29-2018 at 09:50 PM.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Thanks dboeren. Did you make it to the Atlanta Repticon this weekend? I've never seen it so packed. It was pretty hard trying to fight my way into seeing the selection of animals and talking to breeders.
    Nope, I ended up not going after all. I wasn't planning to buy any animals, and it turns out I wasn't really going to save much on feeders either - instead El-Ziggy and I are going to order some together to split shipping. In the end, just not enough reason to go. It's hard to get a day off from family to go to a special event and I don't want to use it up lightly

Did you find anything cool there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Nope, I ended up not going after all. I wasn't planning to buy any animals, and it turns out I wasn't really going to save much on feeders either - instead El-Ziggy and I are going to order some together to split shipping. In the end, just not enough reason to go. It's hard to get a day off from family to go to a special event and I don't want to use it up lightly

Did you find anything cool there?
    I went with the sole purpose of picking up some odds and ends for my quarantine tub and trying to discover how ‘big’ a male BCI looks in person before I go ahead and pull the trigger on a baby Long story short, I was supposed to fly up the next day to meet a breeder at another show but I ended up calling him that night and purchasing one of his BCIs that I’ve had my eye on for quite some time now. More to come on that

I know what you mean about getting free time away from the family! It just so happened they were out of town this weekend.

Thanks
    Cool news on the BCI, can't wait to see what he looks like!

I'm tentatively planning on getting a BCI (or maybe BCL) eventually but right now I'm working on getting a Blood Python for my next snake. I know my collection size is going to be fairly limited so I want to be careful and plan out my species list in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

@ CK- Can you close the AC vents in the room your critter is in? That's what I did to boost my ambient temps. In the winter I may run a heater in the room
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    @ CK- Can you close the AC vents in the room your critter is in? That's what I did to boost my ambient temps. In the winter I may run a heater in the room
    yep, I thought of that as well but haven't done it yet. hopefully when winter comes, the tub will be out of quarantine and in my heated basement.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I had same concerns when I first got my ball python. During the summer, ambient of the room was already fine but during the winter, room gets cold so I tried this and that but best was space heater. I have oil-filled radiator that has built in thermostat and timer etc. If you can't invest in one, I think two heat pad would be fine too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12