Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 547

0 members and 547 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Thoughts on this idea , please !!

I grew up on the edge of the countryside and when I wasn't playing footie on the streets and local pitch I used to take our Red Setter over the fields around the lodges and streams .... back in the day 50 years ago the steams were full of minnows , stone loaches , bullheads and sticklebacks plus the streams coming from the private trout fishing lodges had loads of trout in them .

Moving forwards to today and the lodges have all been bought by landowners and fenced off from the public BUT the streams are all still mainly accessible .

There lies the problem - there's no sign of life at all , barely and stickleback to be seen.

About 30 years ago there were a couple of 'spillages' which seemed to kill most of the fish surrounding streams and lodges but I'd have guessed that by now things would have cleared up.

Now .... There's a local lodge on the other side of town that is positively teaming with baby fish and thousands of Sticklebacks so what's the general consensus in here on me transferring some fish back to " my " old streams ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2018),richardhind1972 (07-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Do it.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Might be worth a try, though the ones you transfer might also succumb to whatever killed off the other populations. Keep in mind that things are inter-related.
    I mean if their food supply is no longer there, then they won't make it either. Fingers crossed for you though...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    You sure nothing else lives in there feeding off what is in there?

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on this idea , please !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Might be worth a try, though the ones you transfer might also succumb to whatever killed off the other populations. Keep in mind that things are inter-related.
    I mean if their food supply is no longer there, then they won't make it either. Fingers crossed for you though...
    Ahhh the food source ... good point !

It's 30+ years ago so it should be safe now ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Honestly, there's no way we can give good advice with such limited info. I live in a fairly rural area too, and what I'd do in your shoes is try to talk to the
    nearest wildlife biologist. Around here (U.S.) we have Game & Fish to consult with, as well as some volunteer groups* that monitor the health of streams &
    bodies of water (* like the "Stream Team"- which a friend of mine is on- she has a degree in biology). You alluded to several "spillages" in your area, but of
    what? So without knowing how long they take to break down & the effects they caused, I'd hate to see you sacrifice any local species that might not survive.
    Nor do I know what those species consume, so until you know they'd have food to have a chance to survive, I'd wait & see if you can't find some local input.
    I do applaud your desire to return the area to its original natural state though...hopefully you can find some kindred spirits familiar with your area. It might
    not be a "quick fix" but surely it's worth a try.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-28-2018 at 05:38 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (07-28-2018)

Thanks

Thoughts on this idea , please !!

Na .......
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-28-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on this idea , please !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Honestly, there's no way we can give good advice with such limited info. I live in a fairly rural area too, and what I'd do in your shoes is try to talk to the
    nearest wildlife biologist. Around here (U.S.) we have Game & Fish to consult with, as well as some volunteer groups* that monitor the health of streams &
    bodies of water (* like the "Stream Team"- which a friend of mine is on- she has a degree in biology). You alluded to several "spillages" in your area, but of
    what? So without knowing how long they take to break down & the effects they caused, I'd hate to see you sacrifice any local species that might not survive.
    Nor do I know what those species consume, so until you know they'd have food to have a chance to survive, I'd wait & see if you can't find some local input.
    I do applaud your desire to return the area to its original natural state though...hopefully you can find some kindred spirits familiar with your area. It might
    not be a "quick fix" but surely it's worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    You sure nothing else lives in there feeding off what is in there?

I'll not bother in hindsight - just put add it onto my long list of possible regrets

Thanks
    My daughter's 7th grade science fair project was on measuring water pollution using daphnia magna https://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/you...daphnia-magna/

If you're really interested in pursuing this, you can purchase daphnia magna culture from Carolina Biological Supply just as we did for our project: https://www.carolina.com/daphnia/dap...ving/142330.pr

You could then take a water sample from your stream, a water sample from the healthy stream, introduce your daphnia and measure their survival rate over time (easier than it sounds).

If the survival rates are similar, I might try introducing some livestock. If they are not, then you may have bigger problems.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-24-2018),Bogertophis (07-28-2018),Zincubus (07-28-2018)