Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,834

0 members and 1,834 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I need help with my BP 😞

So .... another "interesting" thread ...also interesting to read of a Royal Python who eats her own shedded skin .. when some won't even eat at feeding time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-28-2018 at 01:24 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-28-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Feed inside the enclosure. There are absolutely zero benefits of using a feeding tub.

Feeding in a separate tub
    A) increases chances of a refusal due to stressing the snake prior to feeding
    B) increases the chance of the snake regurgitating it's meal due to being moved and stressed after eating
    C) increases the chance of you getting tagged, since the snake is still in feed mode when you try to move it back

The "food aggression" thing is a myth, proven false over years with thousands of animals.
    I have NEVER been tagged inside any of my snake's enclosures. Never even struck at. I HAVE been tagged outside the enclosure.

If you're concerned with substrate impaction:
    a) nobody cleans their food in the wild
    b) if you're still concerned, lay a paper plate or cardboard down (not paper towel) even though the snake will likely drag the prey wherever it wants.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2018),Kira (07-28-2018),MissterDog (07-28-2018)

Thanks

Re: I need help with my BP :(

First of all; how old are you?

Did ANYBODY in your household do ANY research on caring for a ball python?

There's so much going on here I don't even know where to start; perhaps rehoming the snake would be in its best interest or doing some extensive research on how to properly care for the snake would help.
    1.0 Trick Pinstripe (Loki)
    0.1 Firefly Axanthic (Oreo)
    1.0 VPI Black Satin Black Pastel (Sneaky)
    1.0 Pied (Spot)
    0.1 Normal (Fatty)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Bumble)
    1.0 Pastel Genetic Stripe. (Ozzy)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stormy For This Useful Post:

Kira (07-28-2018),MissterDog (07-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    First of all; how old are you?

Did ANYBODY in your household do ANY research on caring for a ball python?

There's so much going on here I don't even know where to start; perhaps rehoming the snake would be in its best interest or doing some extensive research on how to properly care for the snake would help.
    Tbh I'm thinking WUM..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

BP care guide
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ius)-Caresheet

BP feeding chart
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines

Shedding sticky
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...handling+guide

If you are serious about your questions and not trolling I suggest reading these. You also did not state whether you have your heat source regulated and on a thermostat. That is concerning to me...
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-28-2018),Kira (07-28-2018),MissterDog (07-28-2018)

Registered User neocatlove(disabled)'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You "water her cage"? What does that even mean? Your snake needs a tip-proof water bowl at all times.

When we feed snakes in their cages, we avoid letting the snake consume the substrate by placing their f/t prey on a paper plate, cardboard box lid or similar item.
    You never want to put the prey on a paper towel or cloth of any kind, as their teeth will catch on it & if they swallow the cloth/towel, they'll need surgery to remove
    it, or they'll die from the indigestible blockage.
    I'm not stupid enough to let her eat the cloth plus if you read it you would know I stopped doing that. By water her cage I mean I take water and put it on the bedding to keep it humid. What else would it mean I pee all over it?? My snake has two water dishes that can't tip over. My snake is still an idiot if she sees anything other then her food she will never find her food. Plus she likes to move her food all around that includes off of whatever it is on and onto the bedding.
    This is NOT about how I feed my snake if you have a problem with it then fine! Move on this isn't the post for you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neocatlove View Post
    I'm not stupid enough to let her eat the cloth plus if you read it you would know I stopped doing that. By water her cage I mean I take water and put it on the bedding to keep it humid. What else would it mean I pee all over it?? My snake has two water dishes that can't tip over. My snake is still an idiot if she sees anything other then her food she will never find her food. Plus she likes to move her food all around that includes off of whatever it is on and onto the bedding.
    This is NOT about how I feed my snake if you have a problem with it then fine! Move on this isn't the post for you.
    Nobody said you were stupid. You were offered advice about the cloth from an experienced keeper. If things like this were never said, then people would never learn. You yourself stated that you put cloth down. So, that shows that you've still got learning to do.

For what it's worth, I didn't know what "water her cage" meant either. Although I hardly thought you'd pee in it. No need to be a wise-guy. It could have meant change the water in the water bowls, mist the substrate for humidity, etc...

You ASKED FOR HELP. If you can't handle constructive criticism maybe you shouldn't ask questions on a public forum...your title was "I need help with my BP : (" after all.
    So, if you ask for help, accept it or move on.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-29-2018 at 08:37 AM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

55fingers (07-29-2018),Bogertophis (07-29-2018),hilabeans (07-29-2018),jmcrook (07-29-2018),Kira (07-29-2018),MissterDog (07-29-2018),Sonny1318 (07-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

No one said you were stupid, but by the same token, your snake is not "an idiot" either! In calling her that, you demonstrate YOUR "shortcomings", not hers.

Not to worry, I'm done offering you any suggestions.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-30-2018),hilabeans (07-29-2018),MissterDog (07-29-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Okay this post is going to be many things
    My snake bit me a while back due to stress (I was cleaning out her tank and she wasn't being fed the right size mice that has been fixed now plus I started feeding her out of her tank so she stops looking at me like food). And I haven't been able to hold her since because i'm too scared and its been MONTHS. She just shed and is now eating her shed was a little messed up . But that brings me to bedding I HATE this bedding I have right now its cypress (which I normally love) but its a weird brand and the chunks are too big. I would prefer a cheaper alternative so I can buy more of it at once. I have been looking into coconut husk in the chunks. I would do the sand (coconut sand) but I am worried it will get too much into her water.

I have also been looking for a new hide because I HATE hers. My mom got it for me and its got a huge opening right in the front plus she used to be able to get inside of it. I have fixed both of those problems but she sometimes will hold onto it for dear life when I am trying to move her. (I have been using a snake hook to do so). And I would like y'all recommendations for a hide. She isn't a baby and isn't an adult she is around maybe 3ft long. I saw a hide once that I LOVED but can't find it again. It was like a weird shell sort of thing in two pieces. I want to get one with two pieces because I can use a different bedding inside of it then the rest of the tank (I know it sounds weird but its to keep humidity in there longer for her without causing scale rot). But so many hides I see have too small of a hole so she can't get in or a huge hole in a strange spot that will stress her out.

TLDR I need help knowing if I can hold my snake, need a new hide, and new bedding.
    1) People with a lot of experience are telling you that you don't need to feet OUTSIDE of the cage. Cage aggression is a myth and it causes unnecessary stress for the snake.
    2) You said the snake had stuck shed which means too low humidity. Follow the care guide to correct this.
    3) If you want to change your substrate, go for it. I use coconut husk and it holds humidity really well.. Go for it.
    4) Reptile basics has amazing hides.

You mention her humidity is great.. but have failed to answer what you are using to measure.
    You mention having a heat lamp.. but failed to mention if it is regulated with a thermostat.
    You have not mentioned anything about her enclosure.. Are the sides blocked off etc.

Frankly, I am a bit worried about your animal. I am new to this hobby but have learned a great deal by ASKING and FOLLOWING the advice given.

If you can provide more details about your enclosure the experienced individuals on this forum can and will help you; you just have to be willing to follow that advice.

It appears that proper husbandry is the most important part of keeping snakes. If the snakes house and living conditions are not ideal, It can lead to stress, which can lead to you getting bite. Please answer the following questions.

What is hot temp?
    Cool temp?
    Ambient temp?
    Are the heat sources connected to a thermostat?
    What are you using to check temps?
    What is the humidity?
    What are you using to check it?

Lets get you heading in the right direction!
    Last edited by Jmarshall; 07-29-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-30-2018),hilabeans (07-29-2018),MissterDog (07-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Honestly this sounds like a "I won't" rather than a "I can't" situation. Listen to the advice you are being given by more experienced keepers.

Op insisting to feed outside the cage because your snake is an "idiot" makes you appear willfully ignorant and choosing whatever is most convenient for YOU and not what your snake NEEDS.

Have you ever considered why your bp has difficulty finding her prey may have anything to do with HOW you are offering your prey? If a f/t prey meal doesn't have an enticing heat signature, then your snake will have a harder time locating it.

For reference a living rat/mouse has the body temp of 100F. You can do this by warming the prey with a hair dryer or heat lamp after it's been thawed, specifically around the face to give her a clear target.

No fault of your snake, this is simply how they function, they have heat pits for a reason.

Another possibility is insecurity, we still never got an answer on what your set up and husbandry is actually like. Please answer Jmarshall's questions so everyone can help analyze the situation. We want to help you!

This isn't about you and how you feel. This is about your snake and giving her the care she deserves. That means dropping the attitude and opening yourself up to the possibilities of where you are falling short, even if they are areas you didn't think you were.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-30-2018),hilabeans (07-29-2018),Kira (07-29-2018),pretends2bnormal (07-29-2018),redshepherd (07-29-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12