i thought this was very interesting for many reasons which i will outline later. also it's very cool that India is so into snakes!

story: http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...e-1845484.html
Foreign python needed for Indian breeding programme
A relatively successful breeding programme at Guindy Snake Park here is the reason why many Reticulated Pythons in captivity across the country are dying before they become adults.

CHENNAI:A relatively successful breeding programme at Guindy Snake Park here is the reason why many Reticulated Pythons in captivity across the country are dying before they become adults.In the last week over a dozen pythons hatched from a clutch of 40 eggs at Guindy Snake Park. Early in December 2017, the adult reticulated pythons displayed breeding behaviour, explained SR Ganesh, the herpetologist taking care of the young snakes. “Males and females were then introduced in one and the same enclosure to facilitate breeding.

Instances of intromission were noticed by the park officials in January. By late February, the female was visibly egg-bound and the male was separated from the enclosure. During March, the heavily gravid female was often seen lying upside down with the underside facing upwards - an indication that it is about to lay eggs. By April third week, the female laid around 40 eggs. Since human influence should be kept at the barest minimum, eggs were not manually counted precisely,” he said.

However, other scientists at the park fear that none of them may make it into adulthood. When the same female python laid 30 eggs in 2014, only one individual has survived so far.Reticulated pythons are the world’s longest snakes and longest reptiles and among the three heaviest snakes. Like all pythons, they are nonvenomous constrictors and are dangerous to humans. While their population is distributed all across south-east Asia, their presence in India is restricted to Nicobar Islands.

Lack of conditions similar to natural habitats has made it very difficult to breed them in captivity. While zoos across the country have failed in successfully breeding these giant snakes in captivity, Guindy park, however, has simulated comfortable conditions over the years. “Captive Reticulated Pythons in most zoos across India are progenies of the snakes from here,” a press release said.

While this species is not found easily in nature in India, the only animals in captive are mostly related to each other. Therefore, breeding between these snakes is resulting in weak offsprings, that are victims of a phenomenon called inbreeding depression. Inbreeding depression is the reduced biological fitness in a given population as a result of breeding related individuals over generations.

“Therefore, breeding success and hatchling fitness are quite low due to the genetic bottleneck phenomenon. Introduction of fresh genetic sources, from elsewhere in other countries or populations in the captive breeding programme are essential to solve this situation,” said Ganesh adding that the government should engage in an animal exchange programme with zoos in other parts of South East Asia.

Inbreeding depression
While this species is not found easily in nature in India, the only animals in captive are mostly related to each other. Therefore, breeding between these snakes is resulting in weak offsprings, that are victims of a phenomenon called inbreeding depression. Inbreeding depression is the reduced biological fitness in a given population as a result of breeding related individuals over generations.
here's a lil more info on their research center/park: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62286673.cms
Snake Park to get research centre linked to Madras university

CHENNAI: An advanced research centre for herpetological studies will be inaugurated at the Guindy Snake Park on Friday by internationally renowned conservationist Kerry M Kriger of the United States. The centre will be affiliated with the zoology department of University of Madras. Although the snake park has carried out many research projects, it did not have a dedicated centre to take up research programmes and guide researchers. One of the trustees, S Paulraj, said an advanced research centre was essential to undertake national and international research projects.

Two experienced scientists will be employed by the park to undertake research projects and write proposals for obtaining grants and funding, besides guiding research students for their degrees. The centre will also take up collaborative projects with the Tamil Nadu Veterinary University, Vandalur Zoo, Chennai Crocodile Bank and other national and international institutions, said Paulraj.

The park is equipped with a lab for field studies. Scientists at the lab had developed a snake repellent to protect Army personnel from snakes found in the desert on the India-Pakistan border in Rajasthan. The research was funded by a grant from the Defence Research and Development Organisation.Apart from basic research facilities, the park also has a collection of fauna. The park, which was founded in 1972 by wildlife conservationist Romulus Whitaker, exhibits a wide variety of reptiles and has successfully bred several species.

1. it seems like they go the maternal incubation route and try to keep the whole process breeding process natural w/ human involvement "kept at the barest minimum." they don't even count the eggs?!

2. most of their Retics don't survive to adulthood. i believe there can be many reasons for this - illness, husbandry, defects, humans, etc. but they all believe it has to do with "inbreeding depression." i thought inbreeding was fine w/ reptiles. how many generations is ok? or is their a predisposition to (their) Retics?

3. i find it very interesting that they don't have wild mainland Reticulated Pythons in India. their Retics come from a small island in the Indian Ocean just NW of Sumatra! (and Kalatoa is further SW on the other side i believe) now i really wanna see pix and know the size of these Indian-Nicobar Island Retics!

4. so now they are gonna crossbreed their pure Indian-Nicobar Island Retics w/ presumably other Mainland Retics from zoo's and research centers across SE Asia. new mixes? new morphs? i think they could use the help of someone like Jay Brewer. put him on a plane to India stat. #TeamLivingTheDream