Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,242

3 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

What Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up? Maybe a Ninja?

ok i read this charming story but i really just wanted to post these cute lil ninjas.

story: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11
    Aspiring ninjas besiege Japanese city with job inquiries
    A city in Japan has been bombarded with inquiries from aspiring ninjas, the country's famed feudal mercenaries and spies, after a news report on city tourist promotions was mistaken for a "ninjas wanted" advertisement.

Iga, a small city in central Japan, has long dubbed itself the home of one style of the black-clad, throwing-star-wielding covert agents for hire, staging ninja shows and offering "ninja experiences" for tourists.

But a program aired last week on National Public Radio in the United States about Iga's ninja-centered town promotion effort set off a frenzy of internet interest after its host said the city faced a shortage of ninja performers and even quoted potential salaries, giving the impression it might be hiring.

"That's wrong, all wrong," said Motoyoshi Shimai, an official of Iga's tourism strategy division. "There was no discussion about that, and we didn't mention money."
    Still, the city received volleys of telephone and email queries from 115 ninja wannabes in 23 countries, including Japan.

"Most were questions about whether we were really hiring, but there were a few that begged us to employ them and tried to promote themselves," Shimai added. "Some had real confidence in their bodies and strength."

Iga ultimately issued a statement in several languages saying it was not hiring and warning against fake news, but said plenty of other ninja fun was on offer.

"(The city) is the Iga-style ninja birthplace. We can feel breath of ninja at every turn of downtown," it said.

City officials were surprised but not annoyed by the fuss, Shirai said.

"We were made to viscerally feel how high interest is in ninjas all around the world," he added.
    also here: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07...inquiries.html
    Japanese city blames viral NPR report for flood of ninja job inquiries
    A Japanese city is fighting off a bombardment of wannabe ninjas after a viral story set off a frenzy of Internet interest locals are saying is “all wrong.”

Iga, a small city in central Japan about 280 miles from Tokyo, has long billed itself as the home of black-clad, star-throwing, sword-wielding ninjas – even going so far as to put on shows and offering “ninja experiences” for tourists.

Last week, the city was featured in an NPR report that has since gone viral, and which appeared to claim that Iga faced a shortage of ninja performers.

The report went so far as to quote potential salaries, claiming performers can earn anywhere between $23,000 and $85,000 a year.

“That’s wrong, all wrong,” said Motoyoshi Shimai, an official of Iga’s tourism strategy division, told Reuters. “There was no discussion about that, and we didn’t mention money.”

As of Wednesday, the city has received inquiries from 115 ninja wannabes from 23 countries, including Japan.

“Most were questions about whether we were really hiring, but there were a few that begged us to employ them and tried to promote themselves,” Shimai added. “Some had real confidence in their bodies and strength.”

He told the Japan Times that neither the city nor ninja performing groups have any plans to recruit new performers. The city was forced to issued a statement on its website warning people of “fake news.”

“(The city) is the Iga-style ninja birthplace. We can feel breath of ninja at every turn of downtown,” it said.

City officials said they were surprised – and not necessarily annoyed – by all the fuss and hope the interest will bring more tourists to the town.

“We were made to viscerally feel how high interest is in ninjas all around the world,” Shimai told Reuters.

all these peeps, saw a shot at their dream job and applied to be ninjas! very cute!

me, i never really wanted to be a ninja. i wanted to be a million other things tho - teacher, zookeeper, basketball superstar, novelist, mayor, etc. etc. but alas, i am a super secretary! w00t w00t!!

what about you? what did u wanna be when u grew up? did u choose something else? are u still working towards your goal?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-26-2018),redshepherd (08-08-2018),Sonny1318 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I can remember wanting to be an archeologist...that inspiration came about from finding some artifacts when digging around as a kid. I also enjoyed finding
    interesting rocks; as a kid, I wasn't allowed many pets, a situation I promptly rectified as an adult (even considering zoo-keeping, & did some volunteer time).
    At least with snakes I'm still "playing in the dirt"? While it would be awesome to have worked full-time with animals (as in zoo-keeping etc), I instead opted
    for a decent day-job & worked with critters on the side. I worried that I'd be too "hands-on" for zoo-keeping...I believe in interaction with animals we keep.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-26-2018 at 07:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (07-27-2018)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to be He-Man or Lion-O when I grew up.
    - Mason

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: What Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up? Maybe a Ninja?

I wanted to be a marine biologist. I had thoughts about taking music and creating a universal language to talk to whales and dolphins at age 9. LOL. Now my biology practices are limited to personal study outside of work. I even invested 3 years of collage towards the interest before my parents discouraged me saying that research jobs were hard to find and few and far between. Went into the military after that not wanting to be a teacher but go into research. Now my job is completely unrelated.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

What Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up? Maybe a Ninja?

I always presumed I'd be a footballer and was 'spotted' at the age of 9 by Albert Geldard ex England international ....

He told me I'd play for England one day but he LIED ...

No big deal though as I always wanted to play for Brazil

Still do actually and I just turned 60

I played football 24 /7 - 365 well into my teenage years when they dropped the bombshell that I'd never make it as a footballer as I was ' just wasn't nasty enough ' to make the grade

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Geldard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-08-2018 at 01:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I wanted to be a tiger trainer at Marine World. Even toured a college (Moorpark in SoCal) that specialized in exotic animals training and management. However, after talking to the trainers at Marine World, I was told basically the only way to work with the tigers was if one of the existing trainers retired and learning more about keeping large exotics in captivity and the ethics of training for shows, I decided it was not for me.
    Now I work a very boring job but it pays the bills and I get the joy of keeping exotics as a hobby.
    Still working on training my house cats though.
    For the Horde!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018),Zincubus (08-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I wanted to be a tiger trainer at Marine World. Even toured a college (Moorpark in SoCal) that specialized in exotic animals training and management. However, after talking to the trainers at Marine World, I was told basically the only way to work with the tigers was if one of the existing trainers retired and learning more about keeping large exotics in captivity and the ethics of training for shows, I decided it was not for me.
    Now I work a very boring job but it pays the bills and I get the joy of keeping exotics as a hobby.
    I used to live in Moorpark & enjoyed walking my dog around the EATM* complex. One of their caged foxes kept coaxing my dog to play! Poor thing was in "solitary"...
    I considered their program at one time also, btw. *EATM stands for Exotic Animal Training & Management, not what they do to nosy spectators...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    .... they dropped the bombshell that I'd never make it as a footballer as I was ' just wasn't nasty enough ' to make the grade ....
    That's OK, we love you just the way you are...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-08-2018)

Thanks

Lol wanted to be an architect, that never happened and also don't care to be one. I work in finance (boring), but am actually in school to pursue my dream of a career in fashion!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I used to live in Moorpark & enjoyed walking my dog around the EATM* complex. One of their caged foxes kept coaxing my dog to play! Poor thing was in "solitary"...
    I considered their program at one time also, btw. *EATM stands for Exotic Animal Training & Management, not what they do to nosy spectators...
    LMAO
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I watch all those tV shows on zoos and wildlife reserves ..

I recall one of the zoo programs explained that their policy was that you went in at the bottom so you were caring for the run of the mill stuff like the ducks and geese and then you work your way up to the very top to tend Lions , Tigers or Elephants etc ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast