Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

1 members and 2,728 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Quarantine for hogs?

I've read all about qt for balls, but I haven't seen anything on hognoses (I'm sure it's out there, but I've got some different questions). Is it like the same as bps? I see 60-90days, what would you recommend? I know it's different room, paper towel substrate, tend to them last, etc. etc. I've also seen people do fecals, how necessary is that? I'm almost 100% getting myself a female hog next month at the super show in LA (Finally, I can't wait!), and the qt tank is to be all set-up by next week or so. It's a 10gal with paper towels, 2 simple hides, a little plastic water dish, and just a UTH (No heat lamp. I'm just waiting on the thermostat). Does that all sound ok? I'll also pretreat the enclosure with pam, just to be safe. (And I'll get some new feeding tongs just for her, I'll try not to mix any supplies. They'll be very very thoroughly washed if I have to though!)
    Thanks guys! I know quarantine is talked about pretty often on here, so I apologize for adding to the hundreds of qt threads.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (07-25-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Same rules applies when it comes to QT, if you are buying a hognose under 50 grams I will recommend a 5 gallons tank with aspen or eco earth, they need to be able to dig and bury themselves in the substrate. I would skip the hides if you allow them do do what they naturally do (burying themselves) they will not use them.

Those guys are very small and people often do not realize are small they are, 2 things to make sure of

Make sure the animal feeds on uncented

Make sure they animal has ate on F/T at least 5 to 10 times

Taking 1 or 2 F/T does not make it an animal that is switch and the last thing you want to do is try to find and than drive to a store twice a week for pinkies or fuzzies.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-26-2018),dakski (07-25-2018),GpBp (07-25-2018),MissterDog (07-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Quarantine for hogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Same rules applies when it comes to QT, if you are buying a hognose under 50 grams I will recommend a 5 gallons tank with aspen or eco earth, they need to be able to dig and bury themselves in the substrate. I would skip the hides if you allow them do do what they naturally do (burying themselves) they will not use them.

Those guys are very small and people often do not realize are small they are, 2 things to make sure of

Make sure the animal feeds on uncented

Make sure they animal has ate on F/T at least 5 to 10 times

Taking 1 or 2 F/T does not make it an animal that is switch and the last thing you want to do is try to find and than drive to a store twice a week for pinkies or fuzzies.
    Thanks Deb! So, If she's under 50 it's ok to use actual substrate? Above should I use paper towel or substrate? I'll make sure to ask the breeder plenty of questions (I'm getting a list lol)
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Thanks Deb! So, If she's under 50 it's ok to use actual substrate? Above should I use paper towel or substrate? I'll make sure to ask the breeder plenty of questions (I'm getting a list lol)
    So long you pre-treat the enclosure with PAM which you should do with any new animal, you can use any substrate but preferably one that will allow your hog to do what they would do in the wild, as I mention they like to dig (hence why their nose is like this to better help them dig around) and bury themselves, paper towel make a poor choice when it comes to this species.

I use eco earth or aspen and pre-treat my enclosure 24 hours prior to getting a new animal.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-26-2018),GpBp (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    I've also seen people do fecals, how necessary is that?
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have never done a fecal on any incoming animal, the only reason I would do so is if I would suspect something that is off.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-26-2018),GpBp (07-26-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I 100% agree with Deb.

And despite Deb being my go-to for all things hognose, I do offer a hide, and Cosmo does use it. He's my only snake that I use Aspen for, so he's got the option to burrow, and he does burrow all the time. However, he will often be in his hide, partially burried in his substrate.
    I originally put it in just as decor, but since he uses it all the time I leave it in.

That being said, I have a little over a year of expwrience with one hognose. Deb has years of experience, keeps and breeds hognose. So, in Deb I trust. I just think Cosmo may be an exception to the rule.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (07-26-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (07-26-2018)