Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

0 members and 2,873 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Gomez and Morticia

Thanks everyone! Ill use this post to update pictures periodically as they grow.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Gorgeous babies! Great taste in names too. I have a pair of Rosy Boas called Gomez and Morticia.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Hannahshissyfix (07-25-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

LOVE those big eyes! So cute...

Thanks

Quick update: both are doing great! Just wanted to give my 2 cents on my experience with these scaleless and the ethics behind them to date. Ive been reading everything I can find on them and came across a few claims on how scaleless can have different sensory issues or disabilities that make some people feel they shouldnt be intentionally bred but to be honest those claims seem to be from people that have probably never even seen one in real life. Mine have both had perfect sheds and quickly taken every meal offered. There has been zero hesitation in them grabbing their meals accurately or any other sign that their smell/taste/vision is affected. If anything, theyve been some of my most laid back colubrids and even though they do the typical tail rattle sometimes before being picked up, neither has bit or pooped on me compared to other little kings/milks/rats I've owned. Their locomotion is completely normal. They seem to have zero issue thermoregulating themselves and deciding to go from hot/cold hides or corners. Im not saying its impossible some have issues but my experience to date has been perfectly normal and shown me no more risk than any normal snake breeding potentially having a disability. I know it's an extremely limited test pool but I have yet to find documented cases of the concerns Ive seen people bash people with these snakes claim. If anyone has any links Id love to read anything else I can find on them good or bad

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2018),dakski (08-24-2018),Dianne (12-08-2018),richardhind1972 (08-24-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really glad they doing so well, very interesting indeed and nice to see some positive comments on them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Hannahshissyfix (08-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Quick update: both are doing great! Just wanted to give my 2 cents on my experience with these scaleless and the ethics behind them to date. Ive been reading everything I can find on them and came across a few claims on how scaleless can have different sensory issues or disabilities that make some people feel they shouldnt be intentionally bred but to be honest those claims seem to be from people that have probably never even seen one in real life. Mine have both had perfect sheds and quickly taken every meal offered. There has been zero hesitation in them grabbing their meals accurately or any other sign that their smell/taste/vision is affected. If anything, theyve been some of my most laid back colubrids and even though they do the typical tail rattle sometimes before being picked up, neither has bit or pooped on me compared to other little kings/milks/rats I've owned. Their locomotion is completely normal. They seem to have zero issue thermoregulating themselves and deciding to go from hot/cold hides or corners. Im not saying its impossible some have issues but my experience to date has been perfectly normal and shown me no more risk than any normal snake breeding potentially having a disability. I know it's an extremely limited test pool but I have yet to find documented cases of the concerns Ive seen people bash people with these snakes claim. If anyone has any links Id love to read anything else I can find on them good or bad

I've also read different things on scaleless snakes. I own a Scaleless Corn and can speak from that experience.

First, many people say a scaleless morph would not survive well in nature. DUH! Most morphs would not survive in nature. Would a scaleless corn do that much worse than an Albino Ball Python? An Albino BP would stick out like a sore thumb! What about a purple corn snake? He'd blend in well too, right? I own all these animals and they do great in captivity, but would not do well in nature. I do not look at a scaleless snake any differently. It's a morph. It was not genetically engineered, but rather, selectively bred. That's different. Somewhere in nature, this could have happened, and that's okay with me.

I really like that scaleless corns at least, have belly scales and a row of scales around their mouth and nostrils. That allows easier movement and belly protection and keeps them from being hurt while eating (it is of course recommended to always feed F/T since they have no armor to protect their body from a live rodent).

Secondly, I see zero issues with Solana, my Scaleless Sunglow Motley (Red Factor) Corn. She's growing like a weed, sheds great (and man, those sheds are so cool - so smooth), eats like a pig, is used to being handled, etc. She's incredibly calm and docile and seems like a normal corn to me. However, she is very soft to the touch.

Look, the reality is, people like to bash and hate things they don't like, understand, or haven't experienced. For some reason, scaleless has gotten a worse view than other morphs in the reptile world. I don't get it. Frankly, I have been fascinated by it since day one. That's why my final snake for a long time was a scaleless.

It's another way to push boundaries in breeding and morphology.

I'll keep enjoying my healthy, happy, and beautiful, Solana. Hannahshissyfix, you keep enjoying Gomez and Morticia. Haters' gonna hate.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-24-2018 at 01:46 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-08-2018),Hannahshissyfix (08-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I've also read different things on scaleless snakes. I own a Scaleless Corn and can speak from that experience.

First, many people say a scaleless morph would not survive well in nature. DUH! Most morphs would not survive in nature. Would a scaleless corn do that much worse than an Albino Ball Python? An Albino BP would stick out like a sore thumb! What about a purple corn snake? He'd blend in well too, right? I own all these animals and they do great in captivity, but would not do well in nature. I do not look at a scaleless snake any differently. It's a morph. It was not genetically engineered, but rather, selectively bred. That's different. Somewhere in nature, this could have happened, and that's okay with me.

I really like that scaleless corns at least, have belly scales and a row of scales around their mouth and nostrils. That allows easier movement and belly protection and keeps them from being hurt while eating (it is of course recommended to always feed F/T since they have no armor to protect their body from a live rodent).

Secondly, I see zero issues with Solana, my Scaleless Sunglow Motley (Red Factor) Corn. She's growing like a weed, sheds great (and man, those sheds are so cool - so smooth), eats like a pig, is used to being handled, etc. She's incredibly calm and docile and seems like a normal corn to me. However, she is very soft to the touch.

Look, the reality is, people like to bash and hate things they don't like, understand, or haven't experienced. For some reason, scaleless has gotten a worse view than other morphs in the reptile world. I don't get it. Frankly, I have been fascinated by it since day one. That's why my final snake for a long time was a scaleless.

It's another way to push boundaries in breeding and morphology.

I'll keep enjoying my healthy, happy, and beautiful, Solana. Hannahshissyfix, you keep enjoying Gomez and Morticia. Haters' gonna hate.
    Yep I think concerns like they wouldn't survive in the wild are totally pointless. Pugs and yorkies wouldn't either but they were never made to be wild! Plus like you mentioned, all of these crazy morphs and random recessive genes have popped up in nature but have just been selectively paired to produce more to live in an easily controlled and monitored environment, it's not like they were genetically modified by scientists. I do think their production should be researched species to species on how it can effect them. For example, I dont know much about beardies but would think an animal that basks would be effected more by lack of scales? Chinese Crested dogs have horribly brittle teeth linked to their hairless gene etc..
    But as far as these colubrids go, I feel their quality of life is not jeopardized so we can enjoy their different aesthetics. Glad your girl is a great pet too!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yep I think concerns like they wouldn't survive in the wild are totally pointless. Pugs and yorkies wouldn't either but they were never made to be wild! Plus like you mentioned, all of these crazy morphs and random recessive genes have popped up in nature but have just been selectively paired to produce more to live in an easily controlled and monitored environment, it's not like they were genetically modified by scientists. I do think their production should be researched species to species on how it can effect them. For example, I dont know much about beardies but would think an animal that basks would be effected more by lack of scales? Chinese Crested dogs have horribly brittle teeth linked to their hairless gene etc..
    But as far as these colubrids go, I feel their quality of life is not jeopardized so we can enjoy their different aesthetics. Glad your girl is a great pet too!

I have heard that some scaleless snakes that are bred without belly scales (some scaleless BPs????) have a harder time, even in captivity with both movement and wear and tear.

I agree that it should continue to be looked at. All morphs should. There are morphs that cannot breed as we know or will have stillborns.

I have heard that the bearded dragons who don't have scales need to have cream put on them. If that's the case, it's gone to far for "beauty." Vanity should not be put ahead of an animals health and well being.

I see no detriment to Solana being scaleless. She is a wonderful pet. Some strikes the first few times we went to take her out, but that has completely stopped and she is the calmest corn I've ever had. So chill, but still curious and outgoing.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-24-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I think they're simply gorgeous.
    What are they again ??
    Some kind of scaleless rat snake ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Just scaleless Texas rats. I bought the highest reds I could find but as far as I know there arent really specific morphs, just more localities that seem to vary in shades of yellow-red besides the leucistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I think they're simply gorgeous.
    What are they again ??
    Some kind of scaleless rat snake ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast