Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,078

4 members and 1,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Boa

Thanks

My First Boa

So I had a ball python when I was ~8 years old and my dad ended up rehoming it due to lack of caring for it.

I decided to get this Boa yesterday. Not sure if it’s a male or female yet, and she was poorly taken care of at the store, so we’re hoping to nurse her back to good health and get a little bit of girth back on her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tpot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2018),EL-Ziggy (07-22-2018),Martin_Jr (07-24-2018),richardhind1972 (07-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: My First Boa

Congratulations on your new little boa and good luck with turning her health around

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Congratulations on your new little boa and good luck with turning her health around

Thanks! I’m really excited about it, but nervous at the same time. We brought her home last night and she spent the evening hiding but has been out and about today, largely curious and climbing up walls and seeing what’s going on. Yesterday was scheduled feeding day at the store, so hopefully she will take well to a mouse tonight!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tpot For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

If she’s roaming already,I don’t think you will have a problem eating,boas are pretty good a lunch times

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Tpot (07-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    If she’s roaming already,I don’t think you will have a problem eating,boas are pretty good a lunch times

Well apparently she had "trouble" eating at the store, for quite some time, which is why she's extremely slender for her age.

They did say she was refusing pinkies but accepted fuzzies. I've got one thawing in warm water now, ready to go in about an hour.

I'm just new to this, so hopefully she enjoys it!

Thanks

Oh, and the store was seriously neglecting her environmental requirements. They kept the entire enclosure around 78-80 degrees, and RH was under 40 on one end and under 30 on the other end.

I've got her (or him) at 90 on the warm end, and 80 on the cool end, with a RH hovering around 60% at about 4 inches off the substrate. I just realized I absolutely need to get a thermostat for the UTH I'm using. Should the probe go under the substrate inside the enclosure?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tpot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tpot View Post
    Oh, and the store was seriously neglecting her environmental requirements. They kept the entire enclosure around 78-80 degrees, and RH was under 40 on one end and under 30 on the other end.

I've got her (or him) at 90 on the warm end, and 80 on the cool end, with a RH hovering around 60% at about 4 inches off the substrate. I just realized I absolutely need to get a thermostat for the UTH I'm using. Should the probe go under the substrate inside the enclosure?
    The probe should be suspended several inches from the ground but not touching the wall. Then use an infrared temp gun to calibrate the actual basking temp. It stops the snake moving or laying on it or peeing on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 07-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congrats on the new boa. Im adding one to my collection this week. It'll be my first boa too so we can learn together. If you're using a uth I'd place the t-stat probe between the uth and the bottom outside of the enclosure. Your warm hide should go directly over that spot on the inside. I usually have to set my thermostat at 92-94 to get an interior surface temperature hot spot of 86-88.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 07-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2018),jmcrook (07-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congrats on the new boa. Im adding one to my collection this week. It'll be my first boa too so we can learn together. If you're using a uth I'd place the t-stat probe between the uth and the bottom outside of the enclosure. Your warm hide should go directly over that spot on the inside. I usually have to set my thermostat at 92-94 to get an interior surface temperature hot spot of 86-88.
    He/she shouldn't really be using a UTH for a tropical species as they require the air to be warm as well as the objects in the enclosure. UTH uses infra red energy to heat objects but the air remains cool. That's good for a temperate species but for a Boa you ideally need a ceramic heat emmiter or radiant heat panel. Then again it also depends on where you live. This is what I meant when I was talking about probe positioning for a CHE or radiant heat panel earlier.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

Tpot (07-22-2018)

Thanks

My First Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    He/she shouldn't really be using a UTH for a tropical species as they require the air to be warm as well as the objects in the enclosure. UTH uses infra red energy to heat objects but the air remains cool. That's good for a temperate species but for a Boa you ideally need a ceramic heat emmiter or radiant heat panel. Then again it also depends on where you live. This is what I meant when I was talking about probe positioning for a CHE or radiant heat panel earlier.

I am using a bulb for heating, and the air temperature remains about 88-90 on the warm side of the tank, measured about 4 inches off the substrate, and about an inch in from the glass.

Same setup on the cool side of the tank reads about 80 degrees. I’ve read to use a UTH to help radiate heat upwards on the basking spot, if this isn’t recommended, I will just worry about the air temperature inside the tank.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Oh and as a reference, I’m currently using a 20 gallon long tank since she’s fairly small still.

Last edited by Tpot; 07-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast