Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,352

4 members and 1,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hi I'm new to the snake world and need some help.��

So just today I rescued a ball python and need some help I am not educated on how to care for her how often she needs to eat etc etc etc...but I am very willing to learn if anyone might be so kind as to give me the breakdown I would definately be appreciative!! She was previously fed about every 3 to 4 months and five live mice at a time her cage was filthy with feces everywhere and ants crawling all over her and her cage seems small for a snake of her size But I could be wrong like I said new to the snake world.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I would start here for an inexpensive and easy to set up enclosure since the snake needs an upgrade. Ignore anything about getting a glass tank or "starter kit" and get a plastic tote instead.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Shopping-List

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Hi I'm new to the snake world and need some help.😕

Quote Originally Posted by wildonestarr2 View Post
    So just today I rescued a ball python and need some help I am not educated on how to care for her how often she needs to eat etc etc etc...but I am very willing to learn if anyone might be so kind as to give me the breakdown I would definately be appreciative!! She was previously fed about every 3 to 4 months and five live mice at a time her cage was filthy with feces everywhere and ants crawling all over her and her cage seems small for a snake of her size But I could be wrong like I said new to the snake world.

Here is a sticky on feeding size/frequency

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...hon+care+guide

Here is a sticky on tub set up

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...de+ball+python
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

Re: Hi I'm new to the snake world and need some help.��

Thank you I think she is in a 50 gallon tank right now is that sufficient in size also need to know handeling safety for my 11 yr old son ie how often should he handle her and how do we know when shes done is there some tell tale sign can he take her out, not for long periods of time, but like a quick trip to the store (obviously weather allowing) or is it not advised to take them out of the home? Do they prefer natural light to sun lamps I have a room in my house with a very big bright window that gets sun most of the day. So many questions lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Hi I'm new to the snake world and need some help.��

Wow.

Normally I'd say do loads of online reading / research and watch plenty of YouTube videos BEFORE getting a snake but you are passed that stage now you have it ..

The good news is that Royal Pythons or Ball pythons are very tolerant of occasional handling .

The possible bad news is that they aren't always the best eaters .... hopefully you got lucky and have ended up with a ravenous feeder ( there are some ) - only time will tell .

Hopefully , the current set up is at least SAFE for the snake so the heat source is regulated by a thermostat and set up correctly and there are no uncovered bulbs or any sticky tape anywhere in the enclosure .

Ideally you should post exactly how it's set up and ideally upload a photo or two as they're often better than words .

While you're doing all of the above ( including research) the snake should be left alone for at least 10 days I'd suggest . So no trying to feed , certainly no handling attempts or even trying to stroke it .
    - Just keep changing the water frequently , ideally in the mornings when it's asleep ( Royals are nocturnal ) .

So in a nutshell - are you using a thermostat to regulate the heat ?

Post accurate details of the set up including photo/s

What kind of thermometer are you using - a plastic stick-on one , possibly ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hi I'm new to the snake world and need some help.��

Quote Originally Posted by wildonestarr2 View Post

Wow.
    First off - don't do any of the the things you just touched on in the opening post .

Leave the snake alone for at least ten days just carefully changing the water regularly ..

Normally I'd say do loads of online reading / research and watch plenty of YouTube videos BEFORE getting a snake but you are passed that stage now you have it ..

The good news is that Royal Pythons or Ball pythons are very tolerant of occasional handling .

The possible bad news is that they aren't always the best eaters .... hopefully you got lucky and have ended up with a ravenous feeder ( there are some ) - only time will tell .

Hopefully , the current set up is at least SAFE for the snake so the heat source is regulated by a thermostat and set up correctly and there are no uncovered bulbs or any sticky tape anywhere in the enclosure .

Ideally you should post exactly how it's set up and ideally upload a photo or two as they're often better than words .

While you're doing all of the above ( including the research suggested by the posters above ) the snake should be left alone for at least 10 days I'd suggest . So no trying to feed , certainly no handling attempts or even trying to stroke it .
    - Just keep changing the water frequently , ideally in the mornings when it's asleep ( Royals are nocturnal ) .

So in a nutshell - are you using a thermostat to regulate the heat ?

Post accurate details of the set up including photo/s

What kind of thermometer are you using - a plastic stick-on one , possibly ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-22-2018 at 04:54 AM.