Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

3 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

normal ball bred with pastel vanilla ball

hello, i have a 4 month old normal ball and a pastel vanilla ball. if my normal is a female in 4 years i would like to breed them. what morphs would i get and how much would they sell for?

Thanks

Re: normal ball bred with pastel vanilla ball

Pastel, vanilla, pastel vanilla, normals

Price depends

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Potatoren For This Useful Post:

Kyleeg (07-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleeg View Post
    hello, i have a 4 month old normal ball and a pastel vanilla ball. if my normal is a female in 4 years i would like to breed them. what morphs would i get and how much would they sell for?
    Once again, read what I put on the other thread.

Go here http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard/ to figure out genetics.

Check on morphmarket for prices.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

With those animals, you almost certainly would end up losing money after incubation, feeding, etc...
    If you're interested in breeding to make money you're likely in it for the wrong reason.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gemini Pythons (01-17-2020),GoingPostal (01-17-2020),PitOnTheProwl (07-23-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (07-20-2018)

Thanks

Yes I know I got him from twin cities retiles. They told me to wait until shes 4 years old at least. I plan to keep them seperate but I feel like it would be an iteresting experience to breed. I will have a few years to do research before I jump in as well. Im not familiar with the morphs and just wanted know. Ive been doing research for weeks now trying to figure out the best way for them to live. Every website says different figured I could get better experienced answers here.

Thanks

Im not looking to breed to make money. I just want to experience having snake babies.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Im not looking to breed to make money. I just want to experience having snake babies.
    Well, when money is the first reason mentioned, it leads people to believe that is your motivating factor.

Based on your other threads, you've got to get the basics figured out first. There is WAY more that goes into breeding than putting two animals together.

Will you be prepared to cull animals with deformities or birth defects? Will you be able to house and care for all of the babies if you can't sell them (normals and single gene animals don't sell all that quickly, so you'll likely be stuck with the majority of the babies for 6 months or more)?
    There's a LOT to know and consider, and getting the basics of husbandry and proper care down should come years before even considering breeding.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gemini Pythons (01-17-2020),GoingPostal (01-17-2020),JodanOrNoDan (08-13-2018),MissterDog (07-24-2018),PitOnTheProwl (07-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Well, when money is the first reason mentioned, it leads people to believe that is your motivating factor.

Based on your other threads, you've got to get the basics figured out first. There is WAY more that goes into breeding than putting two animals together.

Will you be prepared to cull animals with deformities or birth defects? Will you be able to house and care for all of the babies if you can't sell them (normals and single gene animals don't sell all that quickly, so you'll likely be stuck with the majority of the babies for 6 months or more)?
    There's a LOT to know and consider, and getting the basics of husbandry and proper care down should come years before even considering breeding.
    and that is why im asking. I would never give an animal away for free. Rehoming fees make me feel more comfortable so I can trust that they'll take care of them. I WAS JUST LOOKING INTO IT. all I wanted was information and what morphs they would turn out to be. im not going to slap them together not knowing anything. I should have phrased my post differently.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wrote that not long ago and I think you definitely need to take this in consideration along with doing some basic research on genetic outcomes and you have 4 years to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You were provided with a great link for beginner.

Remember that does not matter whether it's a hobby that pay for itself or a business making an extra income or allowing to live from it, the tought process before engaging into this venture is to ask yourself the right questions.

Am I ready?

How the animal I plan on pairing worth pairing or am I just add to a flooded market (when it comes to certain mutations) and be stuck with the animal I produce?

Do you have sufficient found if breeding lands one of your animals to the vet for surgery?

Can you properly house 6 to 12 additional animals?

If stuck with the animal you produce do you have the means to care for them for 3, 6 , 12 months or longer.

Do you have a reliable source of live feeder? Will you breed your own?

How well do you know the market, do you know where you will sell your animals? Do you know if those animals are thoughts for?

The reason I am mentioning that is a lot of people jump head first without thinking much about everything involved and usually 5 years later they call it quit and sell everything.

Breeding is a lot more than putting two animals together, it can be time consuming and heartbreaking not to mention the financial burden if it does not pay for itself.

So there are many things to consider.

Additionally no one can predict price in 4 years well except that they will not be higher than today. 2018 would run you between $15 for the normal to $150 so you are actually looking at a financial loss when you are looking at housing 6 to 12 extra animals individually, incubator, supply, feeders etc.

Everyone loves having baby snakes however you also have a responsibility and it is to find them a home, and that's not always easy and when on the top of it you are in the red financially it something you need to seriously consider.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-20-2018),GoingPostal (01-17-2020),Spicey (01-17-2020),Turbo Serpent (07-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This would be my first year breeding, but I have some expectations for myself you might can think of for yourself. this is just my thought on it, its not gods word or the 100% correct thing but it is my thoughts.

If you truly want to breed, I would spend money on snakes that will sell. Also you have to expect to be in the red for the first 3-4 years before you start seeing ANY type of profit, and thats only if you start with a solid starting collection of snakes. That costs money. To give you a run down here is what I spent, lost and expect to receive for my first year, and thats only IF my girls take this year.

$450 for a adult male Banana Enchi Woma
    $300 for a adult female Dragonfly
    $800 for a Orange Dream Enchi Fire I got young and wont be ready to breed for another few months.
    $1400 for a Super Pastel Enchi VPI Axanthic hatchling female. She wont be ready to breed for at least 3 years, but with her being a worlds first she will pay for herself when the time comes.

I got a deal on 8 other snakes I was lucky( not really) lucky to get. But here is where I lost money, or gained depends how you look at it. I bought the collection of snakes with intention on only keeping 1 or 2 of them and selling the rest because they do not work with my collection. The Pied and the Black Pastel.

$850 for a 1.0 pied ($650 value), 1.0 pastel het clown ($150 value), 0.1 lesser pastel het clown ($150 value), 0.1 Black pastel ($50 value), 0.1 black pastel mojave ($125 value), 1.0 Super Mojave ($300 value), 1.0 Super Pastel Banana ($250 value), 0.1 lesser pastel ($150 value) so in total my $850 investment potentially got me $1750 in snake value.

Now it sounds like a good deal, but here is what you could possibly run into, where it costs you money.

Within 2 weeks of me having them, these following ones died because of ill care by the previous owners and they came with bacteria and parasites.
    The Pied (- 650)
    both het clowns (-300)
    black pastel (-50) so that is $1000 I lost on the deal. So I paid $850 for $750 worth of snake value. I lost $50, but wait it gets better. Being that I am financially able to handle these situations here is more money I lost to make sure my other snakes were healthy and would survive.

$100 vet visit for each snake that did not die from the collection. So - $400 to make sure they were still good.
    $100 vet visit for my other 2 snakes that didnt come from them but they were in the same quarantine room. So -$200
    $200 per snake to have a necropsy done to figure out what the hell happened and why 4 snakes died on me so I knew what to look for. So -$800

So I wound up in the red $1450 on that so called good deal. We are now 5 months into me starting this and im already in the red $1450 for the bad transaction and $2950 for other snake purchases. So I am now -$4400 doing this starting out. When you count the cost of their enclosures, food ive been giving them, incubator I am probably close to $8,000 invested into this trying to start as a business, its only been 5 months. Now that number would be a lot lower if I didnt put out so much in vet bills, but I did what was best for he snakes, because they are lives I decided to take on responsibility for. I am JUST NOW pairing my first snakes.

I am pairing my Banana Enchi Woma and my Dragonfly. Lets say Im lucky and she lays 5 eggs. I spent $750 on the price of the 2 snakes. so 750/5 is $150. So each egg cost me $150 to make. So to make money on this pairing I would need to sell each egg for at least $155. Because I invested in some good quality snakes most of the combos I can make on the low end are valued $200 or more, there are few combos that will sell for less then $200, and even fewer that will sell for less then $150. So in my eyes those two snakes were a good investment I can make my money back on them with the first clutch, unless im seriously unlucky. Lets say I sell each egg for $200, I made $1000 on the eggs - $750 on the money spent on the parents. I made $250 yay, but wait im still in the red $7750.

in October my money maker male will be ready, the OD Enchi Fire. I plan on pairing him with a Enchi Yellow Belly i will be purchasing when she becomes available in september. this clutch can make me lots of money, or I could lose lots of money. I will be paying $500 for the Enchi Yellow belly, so im $1200 invested in animals. Lets say she lays 5 eggs. each egg cost me $240 to make. Once again because of the genes I selected to work with the average price for any of the possible combinations is $350, $200 on the low end if I dont get any single genes, and $1000+ on the high end if the snake gods are in my favor. so lets keep it an easy $350, because OD mixed with any of the genes is a 300-400 dollar snake. Thats $1750 for the clutch, Thats if I dont keep anything as a hold back. So I made $550 on this clutch. that number would go up or down depending on what is produced. I am still $7250 in the red in my first year. Thats producing 2 quality morph clutches. Good news is on their next clutch if I decide to pair the same 2 again then it would be all profit and thats where you start seeing your return. For my final clutch of the year will be a special one. If things play in my favor I will be purchasing 2 new morphs that will sky rocket my earning potential.

1.o Super Orange Dream for $450 and a 0.1 Lightning Pied for $4000. Both breed ready, which is why im paying so much. So now im in the red $11700 my first year in. The first clutch from these two will only net me $300 per egg no matter what. No matter what they will be OD dh Pied and Axanthic. so 5 eggs means $1500. Still less then the $4450 I spent to get the parents, so now I am in the red $10500. Now if the snake odds god smiles on me and gives me just 1 male from that clutch, i will keep the male and therefor my negative money went back up to $10800. the following year will be my second year of breeding. and this is where your initial morph investment will make or break you doing this as a business. Because I spent so much on my morphs and made sure they were quality.I should come close to being in the black by the end of my second year while only producing 4-5 clutches. Year 3 for me will still be investment period as well as profit, that snake I spent $1400 on my first year will be ready and I can start seeing a return there as well. anything I make from the 4-5 clutches that year will go straight to new quality morphs, and If I am able to start regularly producing OD lightening Pieds, that will be the basis of turning this into a profitable business. From that point on its about staying on top of the newest morphs. thats being productive in less then 5 years.

But thats if the odds are with me and I dont have any major set backs. but to do that I had to invest an initial $7850 up front on just snakes alone. to see the earnings 4 years down the line.
    Last edited by bmwood; 07-22-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-14-2018),Gemini Pythons (01-17-2020),JodanOrNoDan (08-13-2018),Reptilius (07-23-2018),Spoons (08-13-2018),Turbo Serpent (07-23-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast