Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,999

3 members and 1,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: A way to keep my cat off the top of my terrarium?

Quote Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
    ...He's been conditioned to get off when I say down or his name and this was done by spraying with a little water when he was younger and then as he grew when he heard the spray bottle he would stop doing what he was doing. It'd be easier to train him in case you decide to get more enclosures and then you dont have to modify all of them. It wont make your cat any less curious and adventurous but more mindful of where he can and cannot climb....
    I think this may only work when you're there w/ spray bottle, as the cat will associate the water spray with the owner doing it...probably not what you want for pets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think this may only work when you're there w/ spray bottle, as the cat will associate the water spray with the owner doing it...probably not what you want for pets.
    I think there are automated sprayers you can buy and set up that spray for motion or something. Wouldn't be cheap, but would remove the owner = spray association. Almost definitely not worth it, ha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    You have to be careful with the cats. I had one of my cats go through a screen top into my leopard geckio cage. No one was hurt but is scare the crap out of both of them. I started putting books on top of the cages so if the cats went on top of the cage the book supported the weight and not the screen top.

Thanks

Smile Re: A way to keep my cat off the top of my terrarium?

Thanks for all the great ideas! I have two kittens that love to be on top my of my snake cages. I have 3 ball pythons and they only like to get on two of them. I have tried the spraying water technique and it only works on one and only if I am in the room. This was a great way to get other ideas.

I also came up with a few of my own - not sure how they work but after looking at how they get on the cages, I am willing to try them.

We notice that they like the heat from the lamps, so we will buy heating pads so that they have a warm place to lay.

May try to put a "heating" light on one of their cat posts.

Put up plexi-glas shields on the sides, so they can't jump on the cage.
    1.0 Genetic Stripe ball python (Kanubis Imhotep)
    0.0.1 Normal ball python - Balla (official name: Miss Snakey Balla Masquerade)
    1.0 Normal bla python - Sylvanus Arkivarie
    4 - cats (Max, Char, Luna, Salem)

1 husband
    3 kids

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Minjo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I agree about the carpet runner. I have tried this with cats and they will learn. After a few jumps up they won't try it again and you can take the runner off possibly. Another thing to try is tin foil-- just lay a sheet or two loosely on top. It will scare the cr@p out of the cat and not hurt them.

https://youtu.be/mRx2MFf0dWs
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I think there are automated sprayers you can buy and set up that spray for motion or something. Wouldn't be cheap, but would remove the owner = spray association. Almost definitely not worth it, ha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I set one of these up for the dogs to stay out of my garden. It was funny to watch! I got the lawn mower guys with it too!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12