Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,601

0 members and 2,601 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: First Post, Be Gentle Also First Snake

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Wow ... quite a lot to take in for a dyslexic / aspie ..

I noticed a few little things ..

First off I'm thinking your layer of substrate maybe far too thick .
    In the uk I think it's suggested at 1" , two inch max ..

As for type of substrate .. I love using Orchid bark / Repti-bark .

Looks great , shows off your snake's colours , holds moisture- humidity well.

May I enquire as to what you're using to check the surface temps and humidity?

One similar to these maybe. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    haha sorry about all that, those were my biggest concerns with her but I really appreicate you reading and responding.
    As for measuring temperature I have something similar to that but it has the thermometer and hygrometer on the same thing, as well as a digital one that has probes, I also recently purchased a temperature gun!

And ah I thought my substrate was too thick, I'll thin it out a bit and see if it helps. I am going to mix some reptibark and coco fiber and try something along those lines! thanks for the advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
    Ok I'll get more hides, any recommendation. and my humidity ranges from 40%-60% never lower but sometimes a little higher when I accidently over mist. But i do mist the cage daily maybe 2-3 times a day, once in the morning and once at night and in the afternoon. I'm also going to maybe cover half the enclosure with saran wrap to hold in some more humidity. I measure her humidity with both an analog and a digital thermometer/hydrometer.

And I heard about the bath! It was about an inch of water in a tub and I'll do it before the weekend so hopefully that'll help her.

And thank you for the feeding tip! I'll try to feed her in cage this weekend and see how it goes.
    I’m assuming you want aesthetic hides? If so online reptile stores (like LLLReptile) usually have some pretty good options, as well as non-aesthetic hides. Small local pet shops usually have some cool stuff you can’t find at big box stores! You want to make your BP feel secure, so a small space where they are touching the sides and top (without being squished, just feeling the security) is ideal. Big openings are usually a no-no, as are the half logs, as they let a lot of light in and don’t feel as secure! However, if you cover part of the entrance or half of the log with plants or something else, that should work. If your hides are too big at first, you can put some moss in there, which will not only make the hide “smaller”, but increase the humidity!

Humidity shouldn't be lower than 50%! This will cause more bad sheds and stuck shed as a result. Covering part of the enclosure top with something is a good idea, people use damp towels, tinfoil, all sorts of things. Putting some damp moss in the enclosure will help boost humidity, as will having a large water bowl on the hot side. Changing the substrate will help tremendously as well if you haven’t already. Humidity can go up to 70-75% during sheds, but I recommend a range of 55-60% regularly.

Hopefully the bath helps! You’re welcome

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I will reiterate the thermostat. You can find a jumpstart thermostat on amazon if you can't swing a herpstat at the moment.. ALso make sure heat pad is on the bottom of the tank and the thermostat probe is between glass and heat mat OUTSIDE the tank.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12