Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

0 members and 2,893 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Getting a Bearded Dragon soon, need advice

I’m planning on getting my first bearded dragon soon, and I already have the tank. I’ve done tons of research on basic husbandry and setup, but there are still some things that were unclear, so I was wondering if anyone who owns a beardie could give me some advice and tips. I have a few specific questions.

1. I know that they need a UVB light, but I’m wondering if it needs to cover the entire tank, or if I can use it as a basking bulb and put it on one side of the tank?
    2. Do I have to feed it everyday/how often do I have to feed it?
    3. I read something on a website that said babies should be fed a diet of 70% crickets and mealworms, and 30% fruits and veggies, but for adults those percentages are switched. Is this true? And if so, what are some good fruits and veggies to feed it?
    4. Does humidity matter at all with beardies?

And that’s all I can think of for now, thanks so much in advance!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Getting a Bearded Dragon soon, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Alpen View Post
    I’m planning on getting my first bearded dragon soon, and I already have the tank. I’ve done tons of research on basic husbandry and setup, but there are still some things that were unclear, so I was wondering if anyone who owns a beardie could give me some advice and tips. I have a few specific questions.

1. I know that they need a UVB light, but I’m wondering if it needs to cover the entire tank, or if I can use it as a basking bulb and put it on one side of the tank?
    2. Do I have to feed it everyday/how often do I have to feed it?
    3. I read something on a website that said babies should be fed a diet of 70% crickets and mealworms, and 30% fruits and veggies, but for adults those percentages are switched. Is this true? And if so, what are some good fruits and veggies to feed it?
    4. Does humidity matter at all with beardies?

And that’s all I can think of for now, thanks so much in advance!
    I hope I am not too late to respond and you found the answers you need from the proper source. In case any new beardie owners find this thread, these are my suggestions:

1. UVB do not emit heat. They are not the same thing as basking bulbs. Likewise, basking bulbs only emit heat.

If you have a screen top, use T5 HO Reptisun 10.0. You will need to buy the fixture that fits a T5. The UVB light should stretch from end to end of the cage so that your beardie will receive the important UVB rays where ever it moves to. The smallest size should cover 3/4 of the tank if you can't afford the size fixture that you need. Make sure you read the instructions so that you are picking up the right size. I recommend and uses Zoomed UVB fixtures.

Another option is to use a MVB or Mercury Vapor Bulb which emits both UVB and heat. I do not recommend this for smaller tanks as they can make the heat gradient difficult due to its large range. They are great for large tanks of 4 feet or longer. You will need the proper socket though.

2. Feeding schedule depends on its age. The younger they are, the more you feed and more willing they will eat. So for a beardie a couple of months old, I recommend 2 feedings of insects per day, as much as it will eat within 15 min plus a small morning salad for the baby. Babies need 70% insect protein and the rest in veggies. Then as it gets older, the switch is gradually shifted to 70%veggies and the rest insects. Once it reaches close to a year, it should be eating more salad with about 50 insects per week. As it gets closer to the 18 month mark, you can further decrease that to 25 insects or increase its salad and remain at 50 insects.

However, most beardies as they mature will began to eat less or show less interest in their food. That is normal as long as they are not losing weight or have other medical issues.

3. See above. Please check Beautiful Dragons website for a list of veggies and fruits. Ultimately, variety AND what your pet will eat will determine what to make your salad. Color and crunchy seems to entice most stubborn Beardies.

4. Humidity matters in terms of shedding. However, your tank should have 30% or less in humidity. Misting your beardie, if you are not bathing it every week, a few times a week will help with shedding and hydration if it drinks the droplets. I recommend at least once a week bathe in case you missed any shed that did not come off and helps with hydration. So you don't want a bone dry tank due to shedding issues, and you should not have that if your temps are correct, but you most definitely do not want a humid tank either.