Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,725

4 members and 2,721 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

WTF People! Angry Mob Slaughters 300 Crocodile!

what the hell?!! i could understand these peeps being sad, being angry but this is like the most extreme case of vengeance that i've ever heard of. so a man stumbles in a croc reserve and farm while gathering grass feed for livestock and he is attacked. employees responded but the man still died of his injuries. then after his funeral, an angry mob of funeral attendees pickup knives, machetes, clubs, hammers, etc. and slaughter 292 crocodiles. so much death.

story and graphic pix here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sia/787388002/
    Mob slaughters nearly 300 crocodiles in wildlife preserve after Indonesia man is killed
    A mob in Indonesia armed with knives, hammers and clubs slaughtered nearly 300 crocodiles at a wildlife sanctuary after a man was killed by one of the reptiles.

Basar Manullang, the head of the local Natural Resources and Conservation Agency in West Papua, said Monday that 292 crocodiles, from babies to full-grown adults, were killed by dozens of villagers on Saturday following the funeral of a 48-year-old man who was attacked after entering an area around the creatures’ breeding pond.

Photographs taken after the incident showed a large pile of bloodied carcasses in the Sorong district, which is in the far east of Indonesia.
    Manullang told The Jakarta Post that it was thought the victim, Sugito, was looking for animal feed Friday when he was attacked. (Indonesians often have just one name.)

A local resident, Olga, added details: "His family said that Sugito, who worked at a tofu factory, was looking for grass for his cattle when a local resident heard him shouting for help but [...] Sugito was found dead," he told The Post.

The crocodile farm was run legally and had an official permit issued by the Environment and Forestry Ministry, Manullang said.
    "The crocodile slaughter violated the law on destroying others' property," he added.

According to England’s Guardian newspaper, Manullang said the sanctuary had been granted a license in 2013 to breed protected saltwater and New Guinea crocodiles for preservation and also to harvest some of them. But one of the conditions was that the reptiles did not disturb the community, Manullang added.
    “To prevent this from happening again, farming licence holders need to secure surrounding areas,” he said.

Manullang said his agency was coordinating with the police in their investigation into the incident.
    another article here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1K60HQ

Edit: and then they ended up burning all the dead crocs. i don't think any were at least harvested. so much death and such waste.
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/indonesian...073919368.html
    Indonesian authorities burn carcasses of hundreds of crocodiles
    JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesian authorities have burnt the carcasses of nearly 300 crocodiles slaughtered by villagers retaliating for the death of a man attacked by a reptile from a breeding farm, a government official said on Tuesday.

After the victim's burial, an angry mob armed with knives, hammers and clubs burst into the farm area and bludgeoned to death 292 of the protected reptiles.

"The dead crocodiles have been burnt and buried around the farming area," Basar Manullang, a conservation official in the province of West Papua, said in a text message.

Photos showed the crocodiles had been placed in a large pit in the ground, along with wood for kindling, and set alight.

The 48-year-old victim had entered the crocodile farm in the Sorong district and was thought to be picking grass for animal feed when he was attacked.

Manullang said the farm had been given a licence to breed protected saltwater and New Guinea crocodiles in 2013 for preservation and also to harvest some of the animals.

The eastern area of Papua has a special dispensation that allows some of the crocodiles to be exploited for skin, spawning a retail industry in items from belts to bags and shoes made from the skin of the reptiles.

Muhammad Nur, who owns the Crocodile Craft Centre based in the Papuan port of Merauke, said the conservation agency only allowed medium-sized crocodiles to be used.

"Big crocodiles are for breeding and small crocodiles are still babies," he said, adding that his business used skins from saltwater crocodiles.

Police had been unable to repel the attack on the breeding farm by the angry villagers, Sorong police chief Dewa Made Sidan Sutrahna said by telephone.

Witnesses will be questioned to determine if the breeding farm had been negligent and any laws broken in killing protected crocodiles, he added.

An animal welfare group urged that those responsible be held accountable for the killing of the crocodiles.

"The government needs to show its firmness in handling animal rights," said Ode Kalashnikov of International Animal Rescue in Indonesia.

While keeping crocodiles on a farm was not ideal, releasing them into the wild meant they risked being killed by poachers, he said, pointing to recent reports of an elephant being poisoned and an orangutan shot in Indonesia.
    seriously WTF?!!

Last edited by Ax01; 07-17-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-17-2018),JodanOrNoDan (07-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    what a disgusting act of violence...the photos broke my heart.

and these people believe they did the right thing...
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 07-17-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts
    Insane! Somehow, no matter how clueless & stupid people behave, it's always the animal's fault... Pathetic & wrong...make me root for crocs eating
    a lot more of them. I hope they prosecute them for legal violations too, but it will never be enough to make up for what they did.

Thanks

Re: WTF People! Angry Mob Slaughters 300 Crocodile!

Same thing happens in Florida...

Preparing for incoming attack lol

Seriously though, humans will be humans.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 07-17-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I've seen the story circulating but just couldn't bring myself to read it, and have to avert my eyes from the pics. Just have to assume it's due to cultural differences, ignorance, lack of education and lack of empathy.

It's brutal, greedy and sickening. And ultimately heartbreaking. Also very sad for the man who made the mistake in the first place.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-17-2018),Timelugia (07-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    So messed up. Can you imagine the outcry if it was 300 puppies or kittens?!?!??!

Thanks
    So maybe you shouldn't trespass on a crocodile farm? Sorry the guy died, but what he did was dumb.

All these people violated the law on destruction of property, hopefully they are all prosecuted to the full extent of the law and the settlement used to replenish the crocodile farm population.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-17-2018),MD_Pythons (07-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    Same thing happens in Florida...

Preparing for incoming attack lol

Seriously though, humans will be humans.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In Florida the problem is gators, not crocs. I don't recall there ever being a mass slaughter here. We do eat them though. There have been more than a couple incidents over the last year with people being eaten. Mostly the situation could be avoided but people can be stupid. That said I see gators every day and they end up in places where they shouldn't be, like people's pools. When large gators are encountered in close proximity to people they get reported and moved, however once they have bitten a human they are killed. A gator that thinks people are food cannot be allowed to repeat. I love reptiles as much as anyone else on here however I have no tolerance for the rare aggressive gator or the Burmese pythons that are where they are not supposed to be.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 07-17-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    That is so sad....
    Poor things
    ~Annie
    ~

Thanks

That’s so insane! Especially considering people in Sorong likely encounter crocs ( and all manner of other wildlife that could easily kill a man) all the time! I mean, you fell into a breeding pool at a crocodile farm, what was the expected outcome?! Terrible.