Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 846

4 members and 842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question BP active during the day

Sorry for so many threads, I'm new to owning ball pythons and reptiles all together as this is my very first snake/reptile so I'm just learning new things and trying to make sure my BP is enjoying life. I've had him for around a month and in the day sometimes he will be quite active and often climb to the top of the tub and and bumps himself off it then usually falls back down and does it again and he will do this sometimes every other day and other times he will just lay outside of his hides. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the exposure as the tub is clear or because the colour of my wall is red which could have something to do with it (I've got no clue honestly) and he just likes to roam round his tub during the day. He's a phantom ball python around a year old and weighs around 350g currently which and is fed every 5-7 days. Thanks for all the replies.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel 100% Het Albino (Ares)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    It is good to ask questions. When a ball is active during the day it usually means something is up.

Check your setup against this https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ius)-Caresheet

If that all checks out out he is probably hungry. He is small for a year old.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

BrandonPythons (07-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-17-2018),silverdreams (07-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: BP active during the day

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    It is good to ask questions. When a ball is active during the day it usually means something is up.

Check your setup against this https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ius)-Caresheet

If that all checks out out he is probably hungry. He is small for a year old.
    Thanks for the quick reply, the only thing I can see there is the humidity is at a constant 65-70 which I cannot seem to get down. I just don't know why he's doing this as he's eating fine, urinating and pooing fine and he seems to be fine overall it's just I'm worried about him constantly coming out. He will go in for a couple hours into his hide then he will come out and start doing it again and this is all during the day. He was last fed 2 days ago with a rat weaner.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    He should be laying in his hide sleeping if he ate two days ago. Check for mites. Make sure there is a hot and cold hide. If everything is checking out, give him another wean and see if he chills out.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

BrandonPythons (07-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    He should be laying in his hide sleeping if he ate two days ago. Check for mites. Make sure there is a hot and cold hide. If everything is checking out, give him another wean and see if he chills out.
    Just checked him for mites, doesn't appear to have any and yes the hot side is at 89 and the cool side is at 79 with the humidity currently at 65%. When he does go in the hide he usually goes into the cold side hide which I added a couple days ago because he only had one before. Usually when I pick him up he's in the cold hide and he feels pretty cold so I'm not sure whether he's figured out the cold and hot side hides yet but I'm just not sure.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Thanks
    Could this also be to do with me gaming during the night as I'm off school for vacation right now so I'm up at night almost every night.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPythons View Post
    Could this also be to do with me gaming during the night as I'm off school for vacation right now so I'm up at night almost every night.
    Unless your snake is playing as well, no that wouldn't be a factor. Hahaha.
    As long as husbandry is on point and the snake is well fed, I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep an eye on husbandry.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BrandonPythons (07-17-2018),Caali (07-17-2018)

Thanks

I remember your thread before, so I decided to chime in here as well.

First of all it's a good thing you bought the new hide. In my experience my ball python sometimes lies in his cold hide after eating so you don't have to worry. They can do that and they know best what they need. He surely knows that there's a hide on the warm side but he just doesn't need it. He'll make use of it when he feels like he needs to.

Are they any more unusual things he does or is it just the daytime cruising?
    How often du you handle him?

It looks like your husbandry is fine. While 65% humidity is not ideal but it's nothing to sweat about. Unless it reaches 70% and more you shouldn't worry too much (but keep an eye on it).
    Your ball python has been with you for month and you just made a change to his enclosure, so he might be a bit touchy. Give him some more time. Every ball python is vastly different when it comes to character. You might just have a sensible guy.
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caali For This Useful Post:

BrandonPythons (07-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caali View Post
    I remember your thread before, so I decided to chime in here as well.

First of all it's a good thing you bought the new hide. In my experience my ball python sometimes lies in his cold hide after eating so you don't have to worry. They can do that and they know best what they need. He surely knows that there's a hide on the warm side but he just doesn't need it. He'll make use of it when he feels like he needs to.

Are they any more unusual things he does or is it just the daytime cruising?
    How often du you handle him?

It looks like your husbandry is fine. While 65% humidity is not ideal but it's nothing to sweat about. Unless it reaches 70% and more you shouldn't worry too much (but keep an eye on it).
    Your ball python has been with you for month and you just made a change to his enclosure, so he might be a bit touchy. Give him some more time. Every ball python is vastly different when it comes to character. You might just have a sensible guy.
    I handle him probably once a day for maybe 5-15 minutes probably but the past week I wasn't able too due to me being at my dads but I came back to check-up on him and to clean his tub/water his dish etc and no it seems just to be the daytime cruising nothing else unusual. My humidity often reaches above 65+ and I'm not sure how to get it down, I've tried a lot and it just doesn't seem to go down, he did just have his first shed with me and it came out all in one piece including the head which I thought was very good but the humidity now is quite high and I can't get it down (I'm using paper towels as a substate).
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPythons View Post
    I handle him probably once a day for maybe 5-15 minutes probably but the past week I wasn't able too due to me being at my dads but I came back to check-up on him and to clean his tub/water his dish etc and no it seems just to be the daytime cruising nothing else unusual. My humidity often reaches above 65+ and I'm not sure how to get it down, I've tried a lot and it just doesn't seem to go down, he did just have his first shed with me and it came out all in one piece including the head which I thought was very good but the humidity now is quite high and I can't get it down (I'm using paper towels as a substate).
    5 minutes to 15 minutes is a good time frame but maybe don't try to handle him daily. Every third or second day is fine as well. And give him at least two days of rest with no handling at all after he has eaten.
    Concerning the humidity issue: As someone who has struggled with humidity myself (both very high and very low humidity) I know how you feel. When I had my ball python in his quarantine set up when I first got him, humidity would stay between 70% and 80% if I closed the lid of the enclosure. Since he would escape I didn't close the lid, I would stay up every night the first two weeks after I got him (During daytime he was sleeping anyway. I've never seen him awake during the daytime expect for the times when he suddenly wanted to move from hide to hide.).
    Two things really helped me: A dehumidifier and a fan.
    I put the fan on the side of the enclosure (right next to the holes for ventilation), so it would blow away all the air that comes out of the enclosure and increase the air circulation. I also put a cheap dehumidifier next to the enclosure.
    With these two things the humidity dropped to about 68%.
    Maybe you can also move your water bowl further away from the heat source? Is that possible?
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast