Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,988

3 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quick Gecko Tub by Ax

ok here's a quick setup i did in about 30minutes on Satuday night in the garage for a new animal i picked up at the reptile expo earlier the day. it will work for it's temp home while i get a more permanent one set up. also good for QT. it's for aboreal geckos/lizards.

all my materials and tools:
    -- 15quart tub box, it's like 11x17x7 (previously used as BP tub w/ air holes already created)
    -- decorative manazanita wood
    -- decorative straw
    -- fake ficus plant
    -- paper towel (for substrate)
    -- newspaper (for background)
    -- hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
    -- extension cord (for hot glue gun)
    -- double sided tape
    -- tape measure
    -- wire cutter
    -- scissors
    -- garden shears

not pictured
    -- cocktail glass
    -- soldering iron
    -- UVB lighting

i had these materials lying around. here's everything:

i started by flipping the tub and hotgluing the suction of the fake ficus to what would be the ceiling of the tub. i also hotglued a 2nd point of contact to the ceiling as circled in the next pix.

i flipped the tub right side up and hotglued some leaves to the side and back walls for more stability of the ficus. i also folded and added the paper towel substrate.

i measure and cut the decorative mazanita branch to add climbing and perches - both vertical/diagonal and horizontal. i don't exactly hotglue the branch into the bottom, but the sides or corners so that i may remove the paper towel substrate as it gets soiled. also the orange circle shows where i stuck the wood through one of the air holes.

i measure and cut the decorative straw. i add and hotglue these for more stuff to climb on. and this results in a good amount of stuff to climb on and clutter. keep in mind that nothing actually touches the floor so that i may swap out my paper towel substrate.

time to add a background. i'm just using the back of a local newspaper but u can use whatever u want. so i flipped the tub, hotglue points of contact and lay the paper and cut the excess.

so far, so good. im might add, lookin' good too! so i stand the tub right side up. i add a glass w/ some water and give the enclosure a misting.

then i add my new lil buddy. he hops right in!

i add the tub lid/enclosure front:

the plastic is not completely transparent, more frosted or whatever,, but i can still see inside. i see u!

bonus pix: cute lil poop and urates.

thanks for looking!

Edit: i moved the cocktail glass to the leftside, back corner afterwards. i will probably swap it out for a more shallow glass or dish (or add less water). 1 cricket already drowned and i don't want a gecko to do the same.
    Last edited by Ax01; 07-16-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (07-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing!!
    ~Annie
    ~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    welcome to the gecko club!!! ahhhhh they're so smol! so cute! do they have a name yet?!

i can't believe i never thought to use hot glue to secure a bad suction cup...d'oh! thanks for the tip!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎