Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

1 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: BP Breeding

Thanks

Question BP Breeding

Hello everyone, in the future I think I'd love to start breeding my ball pythons. I currently have two ball pythons and they're both about a year old (I know, way too young but I'm not expecting to start breeding ANYTIME soon, maybe within 2 years) and just wanted to know the basics on how to breed as I have some knowledge of breeding but I'm not sure about incubation as I'd like to build my own incubator but I can't find many threads on here that talk about it as the images have been disabled, I also want to learn about the locking, courting and lumping and any other information I'll need to know. I have the money to do all this so money is fine in this scenario I just want to learn what I need so I can start breeding and thinking about getting what I need too make sure this goes successful (This will also be just a hobbyist breeder, will not be a business at the start but if it does indeed progress then I might think about it )

Thanks!

If you have any thread links that can help me, please post them below and I'll look into them immediately!
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel 100% Het Albino (Ares)

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm just right over cutting my first two eggs. All the information I collected is from Youtube channels and I also got the book of Mr. Stefan Broghammer 'Python Regius: Atlas Of Colour Morphs - Kepping and Breeding'.
    What exactly You are not confident with incubation/DIY Incubator? There are a plenty of good videos that shows how to convert a fridge or wine cooler. I Did it myself too, converted a Frigidair wine cooler into incubator. My first 3 clutches are the testing samples and so far it is working. two pretty bumblebees are in the first two eggs.
    Same for breeding part, exact questions if you can please give which part of the breeding not clear for You.
    Observe Your animals a note down their behaviour, that helped me a lot to know if they are looking for food, or they entered into breeding mode.

This link is very useful: https://ballpython.ca/breeding/

My goal is to put down my name as a recognized, trusted and respected member of the reptile community, breeding impressive and eye catching snakes and yes wish to run a business in short time.
    Last edited by Cybred; 07-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You were provided with a great link for beginner.

(This will also be just a hobbyist breeder, will not be a business at the start but if it does indeed progress then I might think about it )
    Remember that does not matter whether it's a hobby that pay for itself or a business making an extra income or allowing to live from it, the tought process before engaging into this venture is to ask yourself the right questions.

Am I ready?

How the animal I plan on pairing worth pairing or am I just add to a flooded market (when it comes to certain mutations) and be stuck with the animal I produce?

Do you have sufficient found if breeding lands one of your animals to the vet for surgery?

Can you properly house 6 to 12 additional animals?

If stuck with the animal you produce do you have the means to care for them for 3, 6 , 12 months or longer.

Do you have a reliable source of live feeder? Will you breed your own?

How well do you know the market, do you know where you will sell your animals? Do you know if those animals are thoughts for?

The reason I am mentioning that is a lot of people jump head first without thinking much about everything involved and usually 5 years later they call it quit and sell everything.

Breeding is a lot more than putting two animals together, it can be time consuming and heartbreaking not to mention the financial burden if it does not pay for itself.

So there are many things to consider.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-15-2018),Cybred (07-15-2018),Ronniex2 (07-25-2018),Sirus Uno (08-04-2018),tttaylorrr (07-15-2018)