Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

1 members and 2,811 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Quarantine Process - What's Overkill and What's Standard

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I agree with this but for #11 I pre-treat the QT tub or enclosure, hide, and paper substrate with a permethrin-based mite spray the day before the snake arrives, and I wipe the snake down with Reptile Relief when it comes out of the shipping box. If it has mites I'll know almost immediately and I will have a jump on treating for them. If it doesn't have mites, no harm done.
    So I purchased a bottle of Prevent A Mite (PAM) as well as Reptile Spray for the upcoming delivery of my BOA next week. Since both are extremely poisonous, I'm a little hesitant to use PAM on the enclosure since it's a brand new tub w/ new hides and water dish. I would think it's more important to just use the Reptile Spray on the BOA and then introduce PAM if mites are found? Anyone agree?

Also, I assume Reptile Spray can be just sprayed on the snake or is their a recommended way to apply?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

You apply the Provent-a-Mite the day prior so it has time to fully dry out before your boa arrives.

When using Reptile Spray I like to apply it to a white paper towel and wipe the snake with it. There's less waste than if you try to spray the snake, it doesn't stress out the snake, you can get more even coverage and apply it under their chins, and if the snake does have mites they'll stick to the paper towel. I usually wipe them down right as they come out of the shipping box.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-04-2018)

Thanks

Some last minute questions as I await the arrival of my new BCI (tomorrow).....

I have the quarantine tub setup w/ two hides and a water dish. It's been sprayed w/ PAM over 24 hours ago.

Humidity is around 65-70%. I had my hot side floor temp set to 88 degrees but I ended up bumping it to 91 because the paper towel substrates were only reading in the low - mid 80s. I know with other substrates, a snake can burrow and reach the floor but w. paper towels is there a different protocol here? Are those temps good?

Also, I put about 4 holes on all 4 sides. I would assume this is enough ventilation for him?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

I'd actually remove the water bowl. With PAM you really don't want it near anything your snake can ingest unless it's completely 110% dry, so if the bowl was filled with water and/or sprayed with PAM, give it a thorough wash and don't put it back in the tub until it's been 48 hours since you've used PAM.

I could have the more paranoid opinion here, but it doesnt hurt to be extra careful just in case ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post

I have the quarantine tub setup w/ two hides and a water dish. It's been sprayed w/ PAM over 24 hours ago.

Humidity is around 65-70%. I had my hot side floor temp set to 88 degrees but I ended up bumping it to 91 because the paper towel substrates were only reading in the low - mid 80s. I know with other substrates, a snake can burrow and reach the floor but w. paper towels is there a different protocol here? Are those temps good?

Also, I put about 4 holes on all 4 sides. I would assume this is enough ventilation for him?

Last edited by MissterDog; 08-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I'd actually remove the water bowl. With PAM you really don't want it near anything your snake can ingest unless it's completely 110% dry, so if the bowl was filled with water and/or sprayed with PAM, give it a thorough wash and don't put it back in the tub until it's been 48 hours since you've used PAM.

I could have the more paranoid opinion here, but it doesnt hurt to be extra careful just in case ^^
    Appreciate the concern. I sprayed my enclosure and hides >24 hours ago w/o the water bowl in the enclosure. And then tonight, I put the water bowl back in the cage. I just assumed the PAM would dry in a couple or hours (or at least that's what I saw in one of the videos I watched).

Any opinions on this??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Appreciate the concern. I sprayed my enclosure and hides >24 hours ago w/o the water bowl in the enclosure. And then tonight, I put the water bowl back in the cage. I just assumed the PAM would dry in a couple or hours (or at least that's what I saw in one of the videos I watched).

Any opinions on this??
    Aah ok if you sprayed w/o the bowl it should be okay. I've seen 24 hours mentioned as the minimum to wait to ensure it's completely dry so absolutely nothing gets in the water. 48 hours tend to be the "be absolutely safe" range I've seen mentioned and practiced.

However I admit I have had not enough experience with PAM as far as what to call safe or not, but I tend to lean towards the extra safe routes lol. So if anyone who has dealt with this often can confirm that be great!

Also congrats on your new baby coming home soon! I bet you're excited!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Good on humidity.

Hot side floor temp is better at 88F than 91F.

BCI's like 86-88F or so. 90F is pushing it for them and 91F probably means she won't want to be there.

My hot side, depending one where under the RHP and Heat tape I measure (I use both on the hot side of my 6X2 Boaphile), ranges from about 86-89F, with an average of about 88F.

I bet you cannot wait!

Make sure to post pictures and then let him be for a while!

Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Hot side floor temp is better at 88F than 91F.

BCI's like 86-88F or so. 90F is pushing it for them and 91F probably means she won't want to be there.

My hot side, depending one where under the RHP and Heat tape I measure (I use both on the hot side of my 6X2 Boaphile), ranges from about 86-89F, with an average of about 88F.
    Noted about needing to lower my hot side floor temp to 88 but what if the Scott Towel on top is reading low/mid 80s and the floor temp is 90? I understand they can burrow in other substrate but what about Scott Towels? I have two Towels overlapped so maybe I can cut them to avoid doubling up.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Noted about needing to lower my hot side floor temp to 88 but what if the Scott Towel on top is reading low/mid 80s and the floor temp is 90? I understand they can burrow in other substrate but what about Scott Towels? I have two Towels overlapped so maybe I can cut them to avoid doubling up.
    Paper towel shouldn't cause much of a temperature difference. Are you putting anything on top of it to simulate the snake's weight, like a book? If not you can get a thin air gap between the tub floor and the paper towel, which will cause the paper towel to give you a false cool reading.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Paper towel shouldn't cause much of a temperature difference. Are you putting anything on top of it to simulate the snake's weight, like a book? If not you can get a thin air gap between the tub floor and the paper towel, which will cause the paper towel to give you a false cool reading.
    Maybe that's it! I was just hitting the paper towels w/ a temp gun. With that said, I'm wondering if I should lower the surface temps a little bit (currently at 90-91).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast