Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

1 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Rembrandt - Nicaraguan Boa (first snake!)

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really glad he’s settling in.
    I’ve got a ceramic 150w bulb and cage round it and at one end of my 4ft wooden viv and that gives me the perfect temp gradient from hot end to cool end and even the ambient in the middle if perfect,most of the time there in the cool end unless just eaten like,

Just make sure you have a thermostat attached and probe position in the right place

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    That sounds great, except I'm not handy at all and have no idea how I'd attach a bulb to the cage The cage retailer has options for pre-installed heat tape and RHPs which I'm hoping to use. But I guess an RHP is closer to a CHE than heat tape, right?

I'm getting the necessary temps with just a heat pad at the moment, but I don't know if it'll still be the case when I get a much larger cage. At least I have plenty of time to think about it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    That sounds great, except I'm not handy at all and have no idea how I'd attach a bulb to the cage The cage retailer has options for pre-installed heat tape and RHPs which I'm hoping to use. But I guess an RHP is closer to a CHE than heat tape, right?

I'm getting the necessary temps with just a heat pad at the moment, but I don't know if it'll still be the case when I get a much larger cage. At least I have plenty of time to think about it.
    Hello my friend.. Try not to over think things! Sounds like you are doing just fine with things!!! Are you going to move him into a bigger glass tank or plastic tub? I personally am using 28qt tubs for both of my Boa's right now along with heat tape. They have been thriving and have good sheds every time. Remember, boas like a cooler temp and do not require high humidity. As long as you provide a proper size tub with enough space for him with a hide, water dish, appropriate substrate and good thermostat then he should be alright. I made plenty of air holes in my tub so that there is significant ventilation into the tub. Depending on the tub size, you could use 4" or 6" heat tape and I would definitively stick with the flex watt kind (which you can get from Dinos reptiles). I know it can get a bit confusing and a little stressful because you just want the best for your little guy and everyone has their own ways of doing things. Just take everyone's advice like a grain of salt. Just because one way may work for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. BTW, try to get out to the CRBE coming up in September.. it will blow your socks off!
    Last edited by Jus1More; 08-05-2018 at 11:45 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Hello my friend.. Try not to over think things! Sounds like you are doing just fine with things!!! Are you going to move him into a bigger glass tank or plastic tub? I personally am using 28qt tubs for both of my Boa's right now along with heat tape. They have been thriving and have good sheds every time. Remember, boas like a cooler temp and do not require high humidity. As long as you provide a proper size tub with enough space for him with a hide, water dish, appropriate substrate and good thermostat then he should be alright. I made plenty of air holes in my tub so that there is significant ventilation into the tub. Depending on the tub size, you could use 4" or 6" heat tape and I would definitively stick with the flex watt kind (which you can get from Dinos reptiles). I know it can get a bit confusing and a little stressful because you just want the best for your little guy and everyone has their own ways of doing things. Just take everyone's advice like a grain of salt. Just because one way may work for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. BTW, try to get out to the CRBE coming up in September.. it will blow your socks off!
    Hey, thanks!

As you know his current tub is a bit roomy (since he's been eating fine I've left him in it), so I'm hoping to go straight to the PVC later, if that's too big I'll look into getting a divider or cluttering the heck out of it. I'm still working on getting the humidity lower, hopefully it won't affect him too badly in the long run (partly why I want to switch to a better ventilated cage).

I'm leaning towards doing the heat tape if it doesn't need to be too warm in there, it'll be waaaaay cheaper haha.

I tend to worry a lot and since Remby is my only snake I'm fretting over him quite a bit Thanks for bearing with me!

And oh yes, I'm really hoping to go to that convention, I've heard it's the big one! It'll take me an hour to get there but I bet it'll be worth it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-05-2018)

Thanks
    Small update: not much has been going on with Rembrandt, but he hasn't skipped a meal (on his 7th hopper with me now!), and a few weeks ago he started to strike and constrict in the open - before he was pretty hesitant, and always went into his hide to eat. It was super exciting to get a peek at him swallowing, but for now I'm still leaving him alone to eat just in case. I hope he'll continue getting settled in!

Last edited by caravaggiooo; 08-18-2018 at 11:07 PM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2018),EL-Ziggy (08-21-2018),Gio (08-20-2018),jmcrook (08-19-2018),richardhind1972 (08-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looking great , man do boas like to coil

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks Richard! I think he's getting a bit bolder and exploring a bit more, I hope he'll show me lots of interesting behaviours going forward!

a close-up from today, I love his cute little face

also a low-quality wider shot, I'm liking his orange-y-ness more and more! I think he's gotten a bit thicker (belly to spine) but I honestly can't tell haha.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-21-2018),Gio (08-20-2018),jmcrook (08-21-2018),Jus1More (08-20-2018),Kam (07-13-2019),richardhind1972 (08-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Rembrandt is looking real good! Have you decided what your next addition will be? I know by now you have the addiction fever! It only gets better from here

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Rembrandt is looking real good! Have you decided what your next addition will be? I know by now you have the addiction fever! It only gets better from here
    Thanks!! Ahhh so there's a couple of snakes I'd LOVE to add but I don't know when that'll happen, if ever! I think a hognose would be most realistic in terms of space/care requirements (and as you know it was my first choice), but if those weren't concerns I'd also love a Russian rat or carpet python. Or a corn or black milk.... I wouldn't be able to stop

The costs are the biggest deterrent for me, though - I'm looking at Remby's future PVC setup (4x2x16") and it's gonna run me $500 CDN if I go with an RHP, which feels like a lot after I got his tub for $15 lol. Not to mention his Herpstat intro+ ($200 for one probe! ugh). I don't know how you all do it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Just beautiful 👍😊

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Thanks!! Ahhh so there's a couple of snakes I'd LOVE to add but I don't know when that'll happen, if ever! I think a hognose would be most realistic in terms of space/care requirements (and as you know it was my first choice), but if those weren't concerns I'd also love a Russian rat or carpet python. Or a corn or black milk.... I wouldn't be able to stop

The costs are the biggest deterrent for me, though - I'm looking at Remby's future PVC setup (4x2x16") and it's gonna run me $500 CDN if I go with an RHP, which feels like a lot after I got his tub for $15 lol. Not to mention his Herpstat intro+ ($200 for one probe! ugh). I don't know how you all do it!
    Yeah it’s not cheap up front to do it the right way... but you’re set up for much better husbandry and mitigating issues that would more likely be encountered down the line had you not gone with nice thermostats and such. That boa of yours looks awesome btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-21-2018)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast