Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,388

2 members and 1,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Rembrandt - Nicaraguan Boa (first snake!)

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Thanks!! Ahhh so there's a couple of snakes I'd LOVE to add but I don't know when that'll happen, if ever! I think a hognose would be most realistic in terms of space/care requirements (and as you know it was my first choice), but if those weren't concerns I'd also love a Russian rat or carpet python. Or a corn or black milk.... I wouldn't be able to stop

The costs are the biggest deterrent for me, though - I'm looking at Remby's future PVC setup (4x2x16") and it's gonna run me $500 CDN if I go with an RHP, which feels like a lot after I got his tub for $15 lol. Not to mention his Herpstat intro+ ($200 for one probe! ugh). I don't know how you all do it!
    Lovely Boa!

Sounds like you are being very smart. Make sure you can/are properly caring for the animals you have before adding more. Don't add more unless you can properly care for them as well.

I wish more keepers thought like that!

You have to know your limitations, whatever those are. Mine are time, space, and energy. I had a kidney transplant and work full time (from home often though). I also want to be able to spend time with all my animals (which includes 5 dogs and 8 reptiles). I am at my limit knowing that any more would mean way less space for me and the fiancé and the dogs and I wouldn't be able to give all the animals the attention they deserve. Additionally, I think it would begin to feel like a chore at that point, and not a fun hobby.

Way to go for pacing yourself and being good to your Boa. If you want more snakes down the road, it will happen. Don't worry about it. Just learn as much as you can and do what's best for who you have. Then, when you are ready for another, you will get something you really want, and not just grab anything. Make sure not have any regrets!

I have 4 snakes and love all of them. 3/4 had a real purpose/meaning for me. The first was especially meaningful; something I had wanted most of my life. The final two, I knew were my final two, and I did a lot of research and got exactly what I wanted to complete my collection.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on Remby and any future animals!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-21-2018),richardhind1972 (08-21-2018)

Thanks
    All the kind words from you experienced keepers means a lot, thanks so much! I'm having such a wonderful time sharing my first scaly baby with all of you

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-21-2018),Jus1More (08-21-2018),richardhind1972 (08-21-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Nics are so much fun, your really gonna have some fun watching him fill out and mature, not sure why they not that popular , think people are put off by the high speckling. But I love it and the never get big and girthy which I think a lot of people always think of boas being 10 footers. Lol
    people always overlook nics for hog island boas and nics are a fair bit smaller too.hypos nics have a great colour on them too and are still pure locality boas

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-21-2018)

Thanks
    Rembrandt is finally going into his first shed with me!!! I didn't realize it until I took him out for a handling session, so I felt bad for bothering him I can't wait for his new paint job!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-28-2018),jmcrook (08-28-2018),Kam (07-13-2019),richardhind1972 (08-29-2018)

Thanks

He looks great and sounds like he is doing really well as well.

What are your temps stable at and what's humidity normally and now that he's in shed?

I shoot for 65%+ average humidity and bump to 75-80% for sheds. If it's 60-65%+ normally that's great. Then, once his eyes clear, bump to 75-80% for a perfect shed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-29-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

His colours will pop once he's shed for you, you will really notice the pinks and oranges coming thru and only improve with age too.

As dakski said increase the humidity now you noticed he's in shed by Misting morning and night and you should have a perfect shed
    Good luck and we can't wait to see his new paint job

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-29-2018),dakski (08-29-2018)

Thanks

Smile Re: Rembrandt - Nicaraguan Boa (first snake!)

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    He looks great and sounds like he is doing really well as well.

What are your temps stable at and what's humidity normally and now that he's in shed?

I shoot for 65%+ average humidity and bump to 75-80% for sheds. If it's 60-65%+ normally that's great. Then, once his eyes clear, bump to 75-80% for a perfect shed.
    Thank you!!

Temps are a bit lower than I'd like, but hopefully nothing dangerous - it's a gradient of 76 - 83 (2 f or so higher on sunny afternoons), with an 88 hot spot. I see him in both the warm and cool hides so I've tentatively assumed he's not uncomfortable.

As for humidity, I've been trying to manage it (baked substrate, additional air holes, water on cool side), but it's still high - usually in the 70s, so I air out the tub at least once a day. I've held off on a humidity bump for the shed since it's high already, I hope all goes okay.

I'm really eager to get a PVC cage where I can dial everything in more perfectly. I'm waiting to see how the heating in my home is in the fall and winter, and if there's any issues I'll spring for the PVC. (still trying to decide on heat tape or RHP....)

Also, I just peeked in his hide and his eyes have cleared up! I'm glad I snapped a pic last night or I might've thought I imagined it haha.

Thanks

Thank you!!

Temps are a bit lower than I'd like, but hopefully nothing dangerous - it's a gradient of 76 - 83 (2 f or so higher on sunny afternoons), with an 88 hot spot. I see him in both the warm and cool hides so I've tentatively assumed he's not uncomfortable.

As for humidity, I've been trying to manage it (baked substrate, additional air holes, water on cool side), but it's still high - usually in the 70s, so I air out the tub at least once a day. I've held off on a humidity bump for the shed since it's high already, I hope all goes okay.

I'm really eager to get a PVC cage where I can dial everything in more perfectly. I'm waiting to see how the heating in my home is in the fall and winter, and if there's any issues I'll spring for the PVC. (still trying to decide on heat tape or RHP....)

Also, I just peeked in his hide and his eyes have cleared up! I'm glad I snapped a pic last night or I might've thought I imagined it haha.
    Low 70's humidity is fine for a Boa normally. They don't get RI's or stressed, etc. like BP's when humidity gets in even the upper 70's. I would keep it under 80% normally, with bumps as high as 80-85% in shed okay.

Don't stress of low 70% range humidity.

Temps are fine. 88F hot spot is good. 76-83 gradient is fine. I recommend a 78F cool spot because that give you little margin of error. I don't like my BCI below 76F. However, if it's not dropping below 76F, you are okay. You also gave gradient and a hot spot, so there are plenty of choices.

PVC enclosures rock.

Depending on size, etc. I recommend an RHP, or preferably an RHP and heat tape. The heat tape is a very inexpensive addition. They can work in conjunction off the same thermostat, or two thermostats if you want. I run an RHP and heat tape off the hot side of my 6X2' Boaphiles. They run off the same thermostat and the heat tape gives belly heat while the RHP contributes to the hot spot, but also warms the air, and creates a gradient in the tank.

Remember, RHP do both hot spot and warm air.

Heat tape only warms the spot they are under.

I also like redundancy and worst case, you can always unplug one if it gets really hot (although the thermostat will control that).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (08-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Low 70's humidity is fine for a Boa normally. They don't get RI's or stressed, etc. like BP's when humidity gets in even the upper 70's. I would keep it under 80% normally, with bumps as high as 80-85% in shed okay.

Don't stress of low 70% range humidity.

Temps are fine. 88F hot spot is good. 76-83 gradient is fine. I recommend a 78F cool spot because that give you little margin of error. I don't like my BCI below 76F. However, if it's not dropping below 76F, you are okay. You also gave gradient and a hot spot, so there are plenty of choices.

PVC enclosures rock.

Depending on size, etc. I recommend an RHP, or preferably an RHP and heat tape. The heat tape is a very inexpensive addition. They can work in conjunction off the same thermostat, or two thermostats if you want. I run an RHP and heat tape off the hot side of my 6X2' Boaphiles. They run off the same thermostat and the heat tape gives belly heat while the RHP contributes to the hot spot, but also warms the air, and creates a gradient in the tank.

Remember, RHP do both hot spot and warm air.

Heat tape only warms the spot they are under.

I also like redundancy and worst case, you can always unplug one if it gets really hot (although the thermostat will control that).
    I'm relieved that boas are okay with high humidity. Still, it'll be nice to get a PVC cage with better ventilation so I don't need to worry any more. Same thing with the temps, it'll give me peace of mind if I can get it a few degrees higher and I think I can do that more easily with PVC and RHP as you suggested. (I'm eyeing a 4x2x16")

I've been wondering if I can get away with just heat tape since my UTH seems to be just enough right now. I guess an RHP would be safer, so I'll be willing to invest in one. I only have a Herpstat with one channel so I'd like to be able to stick to one heat source if possible, but if it becomes necessary I could get an Inkbird or something I suppose!

Thanks

I'm relieved that boas are okay with high humidity. Still, it'll be nice to get a PVC cage with better ventilation so I don't need to worry any more. Same thing with the temps, it'll give me peace of mind if I can get it a few degrees higher and I think I can do that more easily with PVC and RHP as you suggested. (I'm eyeing a 4x2x16")

I've been wondering if I can get away with just heat tape since my UTH seems to be just enough right now. I guess an RHP would be safer, so I'll be willing to invest in one. I only have a Herpstat with one channel so I'd like to be able to stick to one heat source if possible, but if it becomes necessary I could get an Inkbird or something I suppose!
    Boa's do well in high humidity, I would say, up to 75-80% normally. Sauzo, one the users here, who has multiple Boas, swears by keeping it close to that range all the time. At that humidity, you really do not need to raise much, or at all, in shed. For ease, I generally keep Behira's (BCI) tank around 65% or so and raise in shed. Boa's (BCC, BCI, and Dwarf Species) are less sensitive to humidity and do not tend to get respiratory infections (RI) as easy as a BP if humidity is too low or too high. On a couple dry days in the winter, it got as low as 50% in Behira's tank and although I wouldn't keep it there long-term, she was fine. I generally will not let that happen and spray warm water in 1X a day or every other day in the winter to maintain 60% + consistently.

Again, I would get a RHP and heat tape. If you haven't upgraded your thermostat yet, worst case, run the RHP alone for a while. However, I would look into if you can run two devices off the same channel. I run my heat tape and RHP off the same channel of my thermostat to create proper temps. You might be fine.

To be clear, I have my thermostat set to X, with both RHP and heat tape plugged into it. The probe is between the two devices, closer to the RHP. In my case, in Behira's (BCI) tank, for example, 85F on the thermostat keeps the hot spot 86-88F, with the RHP and heat tape working together. Since the RHP runs, I have a nice gradient of dropping temps all the way to the cool side. Hot side, 87F, middle of tank, 82-84F, cool side of tank, 79-81F.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (09-01-2018)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast