Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

3 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Questuon, Blood python feeding chart/schedule

I've been doing the research and have gotten just about everything nailed down in time for the expo this weekend where I'm planning to get a blood python. However, I've yet to find any more definitive feeding guidelines for a blood/short tail python. (I'm thinking of something like the chart for BPs that gets posted a lot on this site)

All I've seen are what size babies generally eat at the start, that adults don't need more than a large or a jumbo rat every 2 to 4 weeks (depending on source of info), and that the "feed by diameter" rule doesn't apply or stops applying when it is not longer a juvenile (no specifics on when that occurs by weight nor by age).

So, does anyone have some sort of guidelines they could share that would be reasonable for a pet blood?

My goal is a healthy snake, not an overly hungry or a starving one.

Thanks much!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Questuon, Blood python feeding chart/schedule

Nothing definitive from me and I’m not an expert by any means, but my male blood is about 2? Ish I believe. He is about 3.5 feet long, weighs about 9 pounds, and he gets a medium weekly. Occasionally he gets a large, and usually if I give him a large I give him a week off of food. He’s been on this schedule for quite a while and is in great health. He has a progression post if you want to see pictures

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (07-11-2018)

Thanks

I'm mostly hoping someone can give me a more.. objective? way to figure when I should be bumping up prey sizes. I'm an analyst with an engineering degree, so I feel a lot better having a way to confirm by numbers rather than just how a snake looks or acts. And I'd like to avoid any excess crankiness from food being too small if I can, haha.

I'll definitely go check out your thread. I love looking at pictures!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Have you watched Nerds YouTube channel? He gives tons of advice on blood pythons/ short tail care . Good luck on your new noodle hunting do you know the morph your hoping to get?
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-11-2018),Dxw425 (07-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    Have you watched Nerds YouTube channel? He gives tons of advice on blood pythons/ short tail care . Good luck on your new noodle hunting do you know the morph your hoping to get?
    I've seen several of those videos, but the ones I came across didn't say much about size of feeders, although he had some very good advice for handling with nervous ones. Is there any specific ones you can think of that he talked about it more?

I'm hoping for a T- albino, I adore the bright red and yellow, but I keep getting torn between a bunch of different morphs. I think the only one I don't care for as much is the ivory, but I have only seen one or two babies in person.

At the last show, I got to hold a matrix baby that was probably 150-200 grams if I had to guess (which I am awful at) that was super duper calm. Like a BP but without the hiding/balling up they tend to at shows and that size. The breeder said that most of theirs aren't even nippy as babies and that that matrix clutch was their calmest yet. Out of 6 of them, 2 sections with genders separated, none of the babies were defensive at all when she picked one up. One nearly crawled out into her hand even.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-12-2018)

Thanks

Oh! I saw someone mention somewhere (forgot where) that they fed the "diameter of the body" rule, but used the head width instead of body. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It's really hard to give a set rule for feeding, because I find that some fed the same and at the same age grow faster and start looking a little lankier and I need to feed more, while others just seem to get chunky so I adjust to less. I threw together a database for tracking all my feedings, and realize that my adult males are fed on average about a large rat every 3 weeks, females every 2-3 weeks depending on the prey size. Sometimes they go longer, sometimes shorter. My babies are fed weekly up to about a year, then I start varying it to weekly to every other. I start my babies on FT rat pups or live mouse hoppers up to adults, if needed until I can switch. By a year, they are ready moving to mediums, by 2 years larges.

Some people choose to feed heavier and grow them as fast as possible, but that is not my preference. I keep mine having a nice taper to the tail, and the spine will show when you pick them up. Laying flat though, the ridge isn't overly prominent and there isn't a sunken look next to the spine. That would show they are underweight. If they look like intertubes with rolls, that's definitely too much.

I don't know if this helps at all...

Example of one of my adult males

Adult female - I feed them a bit more:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    Nothing definitive from me and I’m not an expert by any means, but my male blood is about 2? Ish I believe. He is about 3.5 feet long, weighs about 9 pounds, and he gets a medium weekly. Occasionally he gets a large, and usually if I give him a large I give him a week off of food. He’s been on this schedule for quite a while and is in great health. He has a progression post if you want to see pictures
    Holy crap! He really weighs 9 pounds at only 2 years old? Is that normal? I don't know if i'm under feeding or if you're over feeding, but of the 6 Bloods and Short Tails that I have, 5 of them are 2 years old and none of them are anywhere near that size. My 3 year old female Blood isn't even anywhere near that heavy. I just threw her on the scale and she currently weighs 2,873 grams (6.33 pounds). I just recently started feeding her large size rats and since then i've only been feeding her every 14 days. As slow as their metabolisms are, i'm afraid to feed her a large any more often than that. All of the other ones are getting a medium rat every 7 days. Prior to that, they all got a small rat every 7 days and before that they would get a weanling every 7 days. I think I had them all on rat pups every 7 days at the size they were when I first got them. All of my Bloods and Short Tails (except for one with regurgitation issues) look nice and fat and I can only see a hint of their spines like you're supposed to. Other than that I don't know what else to go by...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-12-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Holy crap! He really weighs 9 pounds at only 2 years old? Is that normal? I don't know if i'm under feeding or if you're over feeding, but of the 6 Bloods and Short Tails that I have, 5 of them are 2 years old and none of them are anywhere near that size. My 3 year old female Blood isn't even anywhere near that heavy. I just threw her on the scale and she currently weighs 2,873 grams (6.33 pounds). I just recently started feeding her large size rats and since then i've only been feeding her every 14 days. As slow as their metabolisms are, i'm afraid to feed her a large any more often than that. All of the other ones are getting a medium rat every 7 days. Prior to that, they all got a small rat every 7 days and before that they would get a weanling every 7 days. I think I had them all on rat pups every 7 days at the size they were when I first got them. All of my Bloods and Short Tails (except for one with regurgitation issues) look nice and fat and I can only see a hint of their spines like you're supposed to. Other than that I don't know what else to go by...
    haha, my bad. That was supposed to be 7lbs, commenting from my iphone is a pain and you cant see the text as you type without scrolling and its a whole ordeal.. but anyway he's about 7lbs now. I haven't put him on a scale but he weighed in a few grams over 6lbs in April. He also hasnt pooped for me in a while. The only other thing i can figure is maybe he is older than i was told when i bought him, i'm not sure whether or not that would affect his growth rate though.

Thanks
    My boy will be 2 years old in august. His weight is about 7,3 pounds now. He gets a large rat (220 - 250 gramm) each 10 days. He knows his feeding day very well. When I get near his enclosure at this day he always sticks his head out of his hide and looks at me , begging for food.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to marckitt For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (07-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast