Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

1 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Tub within a tub?

As Daytona approaches I'm trying to work out my housing strategy for both the short and long term...

I had been thinking of maybe getting a CB70 rack, but it occurs to me that:
    1. My snakes will eventually grow out of it
    2. My wife doesn't want me to have too many snakes
    3. After they grow out of it, it will be sitting idle (see #2)
    4. Buying a rack that's sitting idle AND a bigger home later is inefficient

Now, I already have a 4x2x1 Boaphile cage that is set aside as the long term home for my short-tail. On the other hand, that's too big because they need a smaller more secure tub.

What about putting the little tub inside the 4x2x1? I can gradually upgrade the tub size as he/she grows until finally taking it away and letting him use the full cage. Does that seem sound? I've also heard of people cutting a hole in the top of the tub so that the snake can crawl in/out and I can put various hides around the interior as well.

What do you think, anyone tried this before? I just want to make sure that he's going to feel happy and secure.

Also, I've been testing it and the built-in heat tape/pad for the Boaphile cage doesn't seem to work well anymore (weird, I wouldn't think there would be much to go wrong in there). What size heat pad would you recommend for a short-tail in this size tank? I see ZooMed makes an 18"x8" pad, does that seem about right?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Tub within a tub?

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    What about putting the little tub inside the 4x2x1? I can gradually upgrade the tub size as he/she grows until finally taking it away and letting him use the full cage. Does that seem sound? I've also heard of people cutting a hole in the top of the tub so that the snake can crawl in/out and I can put various hides around the interior as well.
    You can certainly do that. Just make sure the tubs are only partially on the heat tape, or if the enclosure has an RHP, that the tub can't overheat.

An 18"x8" heat pad should be ok unless the enclosure is in a really cool part of the house, and then I would go up a size.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. It seemed to make sense to me but I just wanted to bounce it off someone more experienced with short tails.

Yes, I'll make sure the tubs only overlap the tape at one end and I'll run thermostat tests placed in different locations in the tub before putting anyone in it to make sure there's a gradient. There is no RHP.