Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

1 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: BP Unusually Small?

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    that is extremely dangerous and, frankly, stupid.
    If you don't agree with someone probably best not to insult them, especially if your don't know them or their experience.
    Pete's Pythons
    Tampa, FL

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damage, Inc. View Post
    If you don't agree with someone probably best not to insult them, especially if your don't know them or their experience.
    Regardless of experience, feeding live prey any larger than a hopper, which at 264 grams this snake will be eating at least a small adult mouse, is extremely dangerous and irresponsible.
    It's also extremely bad advice to offer to newcomers. If you're willing to roll the dice with your animals that's your call. But please don't advise new keepers to practice dangerous feeding techniques.
    You'd probably feel pretty lousy if your advice was the reason OPs new snake ended up with a trip to the vet for mouse/rat bites.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Heartley (07-11-2018),MissterDog (07-11-2018),sufficio (07-11-2018),tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Regardless of experience, feeding live prey any larger than a hopper, which at 264 grams this snake will be eating at least a small adult mouse, is extremely dangerous and irresponsible.
    It's also extremely bad advice to offer to newcomers. If you're willing to roll the dice with your animals that's your call. But please don't advise new keepers to practice dangerous feeding techniques.
    You'd probably feel pretty lousy if your advice was the reason OPs new snake ended up with a trip to the vet for mouse/rat bites.
    100% this. Snakes have been severely injured by unsupervised live feedings before, some leading to gruesome deaths, and I mean REALLY gruesome. If anyone doesn't believe me, google it but be warned the results are graphic.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-11-2018),Heartley (07-11-2018),pretends2bnormal (07-11-2018),sufficio (07-11-2018),Sunnieskys (07-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heartley View Post
    Welp. Guess I figured out the problem. Apparently he was still feeding her hopper mice. Im gonna try some smaller mice and try to work her up to eating larger prey once she gets used to the size change. Then I guess I'll switch her to rats. Not too pleased with the guy who gave her to me, but hey, all I can do now is make sure she transitions to rats smoothly.
    I keep (ONE) frozen mouse in my freezer at all times for any new arrivals that were on mice. I never feed that mouse, it is only there to rub it onto a thawed rat pup. You can rub the frozen mouse all around the rat pup without really thawing the frozen mouse then just put the mouse right back into the freezer. The snake's sense of smell is probably it's strongest sense of all so it don't take a lot of scenting to get them to pick it up. This has worked for me every time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-11-2018),Heartley (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damage, Inc. View Post
    i didn't mean to insult you personally, as that really wasn't my intention, but unsupervised live feedings is a stupid practice, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    It's also extremely bad advice to offer to newcomers. If you're willing to roll the dice with your animals that's your call. But please don't advise new keepers to practice dangerous feeding techniques. You'd probably feel pretty lousy if your advice was the reason OPs new snake ended up with a trip to the vet for mouse/rat bites.
    bingo, this was the only reason i chimed in and made a point with my post. it's important for new keeps to understand the risks, and i made sure to use strong language to emphasize that.

i hope you understand, @Damage, Inc. have a good day.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-11-2018),Heartley (07-11-2018),Michelle-07 (10-11-2018),Sunnieskys (07-11-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123