Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,574

1 members and 2,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Exclamation Injured wild squirrel, need advice

I just found an injured douglas squirrel in a tree in my backyard. There’s a peanut ring hanging from the tree, which is like a large, hollow wire ring that you fill with peanuts and squirrels can climb on top and around it to eat them. The fox squirrels and grey squirrels that live in the area are too big to fit inside, but douglas squirrels, which are a bit larger than chipmunks, could easily fit inside. I’ve never had problems with that though, but maybe 20 minutes ago or so I went outside and a douglas squirrel was stuck headfirst in the ring. When I got closer, she pulled herself out and climbed further up the tree. At this point I noticed something was wrong. She was dragging her back legs behind her, and pulling herself across the branch with her front legs, as if her back legs were broken, or even paralyzed. At some points she almost fell out of the tree, so I’m really worried that she might fall out and injure herself even further, or even die. She’s still out there right now, and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to help, specifically how I can safely get her out of the tree and take her to a rehabilitation center. Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    There's no way you can out-climb her in the tree or chase her down, but if you can get a Havahart (humane) trap & bait it with food she likes (peanuts)
    she would probably go right in, hopefully tripping the trap shut. If you don't have a trap on hand, maybe ask Game & Fish or local humane shelters if
    they can rent or loan you one. Good luck! (once you put food in trap, stay away so she'll come down)

Might also remove the feeder, so she doesn't go back to that instead of your trap. Sure hope you catch the right squirrel.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-09-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

Re: Injured wild squirrel, need advice

Thanks for the tips! I went to walk my dog, and when I came back I couldn’t find her in the tree. If she ends up coming back though, I’ll give your advice a try.