Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

2 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Male Super Dwarf Retic or Male Suriname BCC

Late to the party here, but I vote Boa.

Much easier to handle when at size and that size is usually a little smaller than even a dwarf retic.

How big is your little BCI now? Have you held a large/adult female BCI or BCC? Have you handled a retic?

I know you had a lot of questions early on about your little BCI and, in my opinion, BCI's are much easier to house, keep healthy, and handle. You were also looking at upgrading to a better enclosure, but that takes time, funds, and space. Did you solve those issues and have room for another large tank?

I've been keeping snakes/reptiles for the better part of my life and just recently, at 37 (now 38), got my first BCI. I have the time, space, finances, and skill level where I feel I can easily provide for Behira (my BCI). It wasn't until two weeks ago at the NH reptile expo that I held and adult female BCI (7FT and 16 pounds). I was shocked how easy a full grown BCI was to control and handle. However, I had been worried up to them how Behira might be at 20 pounds versus 2 pounds that she is now. Seems like she will just be a gentle giant like the girl I held at the show.

I am not telling you what to do, but I am encouraging you, as I get the sense that you are relatively new to the game, to take your time and make wise and informed decisions. Many experienced snake keepers never get a retic, dwarf or otherwise, and in many states it's illegal anyway (mine - CT). They are a handful, even compared to an adult Boa.

Also, keep in mind that a healthy Boa that's fed properly will live 20-30 years. Not sure about retics, but I believe they are long-term commitments too.

Make sure you are making a decision and that you can care for the animal (animals) for their lifetime.

I want the best for you and your current and soon to be growing collection. Sorry if I sound preachy, but I've had to learn my limitations (in my case health issues and time that I can spend with the animals I have limits me to what I have now), and as difficult as it can be when what you want doesn't align with what you are able to do, it's best for everyone to be realistic.

I hope I am misreading the situation and please forgive me if I am, but please do what's best for all involved; both you and the growing reptile collection.

In any event, if you are getting another snake, I vote Boa all the way, and suggest a cool BCI morph, or as you are looking for, a beautiful locale BCC (keeping in mind that they need to be grown slower, are a little more sensitive to environment than BCI's, and that ultimately, they get bigger).

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    Just curious how much could I expect to pay for a purple albino that stays smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well you want a high percentage SD blood animal and you want that high percentage to be from mom, not dad. That will increase your chances but again, it boils down to what said snake takes as the genetics when it grows up. Just like some people are tall and some are short. Also certain genes are from mainland and can influence the size like tiger gene which is from mainland.

So bottom line, for something to stay under 10 feet, get a male from a high percentage SD mom. And just a guess but you can probably expect to pay around $1000 for something like a 75% SD purple albino. Just a guess but seems pretty safe. Caesar who is 37.5% SD, 31.5% dwarf white albino tiger 50% het snow(anery) was $750 but i got him on a deal from Kris Brown at Vital Exotics.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    If you want a retic, get one.

They are awesome and can take the place of two separate species if you are looking for something active and that displays well.

There are male mainlands that don't go over 10 feet.

It's a crapshoot with the mainlands, but get into some high % SD and Dwarf and you should be plenty safe form a giant.

It sounds like you truly want to go the SD route. If so go for it as I went Boa, Carpet and still wanted the retic. Once the curiosity and urge hits, you just have to do it or you will always want what you didn't get.

Any other snake you buy afterwards will be a walk in the park.

I love this snake.

They do pretty much anything when it comes to semi arboreal and terrestrial behavior.

I can tell you want the retic!! Just do it!
    Last edited by Gio; 07-10-2018 at 11:07 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-11-2018),jmcrook (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Another consideration. My retics require a permit to have them. I live in Texas. Is only $20 a year. Know your state laws.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

By the way I am partial to the tiger gene in retics. Yes I am bias but look at them.

I agree. I did want a retic in the beginning. Took a while and lots of research before I jumped on one. I went with a mainland female. The size was not as important to me as temperament. Don't get me wrong. Some females can be defensive. I purchased one that was already 2 years old and the breeder could answer a lot of questions. Rainbow has been a wonderful experience all the way around. Even saying that, you always have to stay on your toes. Keeping her awake during handling secessions is important (don't want to surprise her) as well as respecting her feelings on the days she wants to be left alone. I would not say she is trained but that we have an understanding (for the most part) of what is going to happen during handling cessions.

I had a young male retic for a little while. He had to be 6 months? Not sure. He was a lot less predictable than my larger girl. I could offer him a hook and then take him out. Never bit during handling cessions but was cage defensive. As soon as I put him back in his cage he would randomly strike the glass door. Not sure if was food response or defensiveness.

Retics are almost always hungry. Food food and more food. You have to regulate them. Boas have much slower metabolisms.

I had a RTB that was 5 foot plus and she was super laid back. Could sit and watch TV with her in your lap. Supper chill. Would not even strike her pre-killed rat.

They both were very different and rewarding experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    If you want a retic, get one.

They are awesome and can take the place of two separate species if you are looking for something active and that displays well.

There are male mainlands that don't go over 10 feet.

It's a crapshoot with the mainlands, but get into some high % SD and Dwarf and you should be plenty safe form a giant.

It sounds like you truly want to go the SD route. If so go for it as I went Boa, Carpet and still wanted the retic. Once the curiosity and urge hits, you just have to do it or you will always want what you didn't get.

Any other snake you buy afterwards will be a walk in the park.

I love this snake.

They do pretty much anything when it comes to semi arboreal and terrestrial behavior.

I can tell you want the retic!! Just do it!
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 07-11-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks

The BCI I have is in his new AP T10 so his husbandry is great now.

I looked it up and retics are legal to own where I live. I do remember a vendor at the last reptile expo I went to and the retics they were holding were so hyper lol. Maybe at next expo I’ll ask to hold one. I wouldn’t mind paying 1k for a snake. I guess I’ll just have to think more about which one I’ll go with but I do appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to svtvenom For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-11-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well you want a high percentage SD blood animal and you want that high percentage to be from mom, not dad.
    where did you hear this?
    because it really shouldn't matter which parent is the SD, it's the % of SD that matters.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    where did you hear this?
    because it really shouldn't matter which parent is the SD, it's the % of SD that matters.
    A lot of breeders have mentioned it like Garrett whatever his name is as well as a few off the retic FB boards. I too wouldnt think it would really matter but like i said, more than a couple breeders have said that.

And i agree the percent should be it but take for example Gene, Phyllis, Wallace and Caesar. Phyllis who is 100% Kalatoa is a lot bigger than any of our hybrids. Caesar is 37.5% SD, 31.5% dwarf and was heavily fed yet he is not much bigger than Wallace who is same percent SD but even higher percent dwarf. Then there is gene who is zero SD i believe is just dwarf and he is about the same size as Caesar.

I personally question pretty much anything anyone says about SD hybrids as i hear a lot of theory craft about it but then i see real world evidence which says otherwise lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-16-2018)

Thanks
    My mistake, Gene is 25% SD 25% dwarf. So we have Gene at about the same size as Caesar who is 37.5% SD 31.5% dwarf. Then we got Wallace who is i believe 37.5% SD and 43% dwarf who is slightly smaller than Caesar and Gene. Then we got Gerald who is 50% SD and around 6 feet i think. And then we got Phyllis who is just a monster. Pure Kalatoa and like 10 feet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    where did you hear this?

Here is a video from Garret Hartle where he explains the mainland X SD vs. SD X mainland and percentage sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjs6v3CDIjc
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-17-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast