Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,496

2 members and 3,494 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Boa recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    The usual recommendation I see is snake length = cage length + cage width so I think up to 6 foot or maybe 6.5 should be OK? Especially if they can benefit from a taller cage giving a little extra room to explore.

Thanks for the info on bloods & leopards, I'll check these out. longicauda sounds like a potential good match since you're saying they stay a bit smaller. Do you have any recommendations on breeders for longicauda that I could reach out to, especially ones that might be located near or attending Daytona (unfortunately the vendor list isn't up yet)? I'd prefer one of the black & silver high contrast ones over the dark ones.
    The rule of thumb for caging is cage length+width=snakes total length.

As for breeders for BCL, Allison Theus aka Crispy snakes is good but i believe all her stuff is spoken for atm. There is also Jessica Fee, Buddy Young, Scott Miller, Cool Constrictors, and who i got my Lincoln/Meltzer line het anery boy from, Sonja Koolmo. My advice is join the FB page Boa Constrictors Longicauda Fanatics and ask there. Thats where a lot of the BCL fanatics go, get it

Also be aware, BCL tend to be a lot more shy and take a while to open up. My BCC and BCI were very outgoing after about a week. Louie, my BCL was pretty shy for about a year.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the FB group recommendation, I've sent a request to join.

When you say longicauda are more shy, what do you mean? Hiding all the time? Head shy? Try to run away when handled? Defensive behavior? Just want to make sure I understand what to expect if I go that way but a male BCI is still an option too I think.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

My bcl have always been great for handling nearly always on show too

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My BCL youngster is quite shy. Comes and investigates at prolonged sounds of me messing above her enclosure, but movements tend to make her jump. She's struck a couple times, but not excessively so.

My other boas are definitely more confident and relaxed though.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Thanks for the FB group recommendation, I've sent a request to join.

When you say longicauda are more shy, what do you mean? Hiding all the time? Head shy? Try to run away when handled? Defensive behavior? Just want to make sure I understand what to expect if I go that way but a male BCI is still an option too I think.
    Well when i got Louie, he was the only snake to ever mock strike when i took them out of the shipping bag. Also he was much more reserved in his actions and even now, if you make quick movements around him, he will sometimes pull back. And yes, he spends a lot of time in his hides with just his head poking out. He does come out at night a lot though and messes around. And when it comes to dinner time, he is easily one of the most outgoing snakes of the bunch. The guy LOVES his food.

By contrast, my suriname and BCIs usually are out all the time, not very head shy, dont really care about quick movements and for the most part oblivious to anything. Louie my BCL also used to just sit on me curled up and quiet. Now that i've had him a while, he is more outgoing on me and will climb up and sit on my shoulders or stretch out on my arm. One thing i did notice, not sure if it is just him or the species in general as i only have one BCL, Louie didnt like me staring at him at first. He would always look at my face and if i stared at him, he would quit moving. Then when i quit looking at him, he would move lol. He doesnt seem to care too much anymore but he really is the only boa i got that watches my face a lot. The others dont care and are more concerned with just investigating anything around them.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 07-09-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-10-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12