Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,750

0 members and 1,750 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Everyone has that one snake...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're right, pretends2bnormal, that is truly terrifying! Hope you don't need therapy for too long...?
    I didnt get the best shot. Almost had one with him mid-strike, mouth wide open, but got just after the close and it turned out super blurry. So sad.

I just finished my last therapy session! Theme was: "I scared my tiny Noodle and he has decided he likes me anyway" (JK)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2018),C.Marie (07-12-2018),the_rotten1 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

I've had many corn snakes, bred Okeetees, & still have 5 (various) corn snakes: your tiny one sounds normal, considering that so many birds would just think "worm!"
    & gulp him down. Some hatchling corns are mellow but they'd probably not survive for long in the wild, so just think of yours as a survivor! And just be patient, she'll
    more than likely out-grow it just fine, corns are awesome pets, easy to feed & easy to handle. BTW, have you noticed that even if your hatchling corn "bites" you, you
    can't even feel their teeth!? they're too small to even break the skin, hahahaha!

Try to imagine being so tiny and confronted with GIANT HUMANS & your instincts say that which picks you up is a PREDATOR -that's where she's coming from, she's
    definitely not a "jerk", she just wants to live a while.
    For sure, I was kidding about her being a jerk. My fiance is very new to snakes and I had to explain the exact same thing, the little corn is so tiny shes afraid everything is going to eat her.
    This applies to most snakes as babies. but its like you said, shes a little survivor
    I'm not your friend buddy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2018)

Thanks
    A friend of mine gave me a Lesser that had plenty attitude because they were afraid of him but it was probably because he wasn't handled ever. He still tries to see if he can eat my forearm from time to time but its a feeding response and he's calmed way down. His feeding response is ridiculous whether live or thawed.
    I'm fostering a fire killer bee from the same friend cuz she became super snappy... Like rapid firing. She's so much calmer now. I believe its due to the environment. Multiple dogs and the smell of the dogs plus constant traffic on location. I have them both in my rack and on a consistent feeding schedule in a separate tub, she's calmed down drastically... Hasn't snapped at me once!
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus Uno View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a Lesser that had plenty attitude because they were afraid of him but it was probably because he wasn't handled ever. He still tries to see if he can eat my forearm from time to time but its a feeding response and he's calmed way down. His feeding response is ridiculous whether live or thawed.
    I'm fostering a fire killer bee from the same friend cuz she became super snappy... Like rapid firing. She's so much calmer now. I believe its due to the environment. Multiple dogs and the smell of the dogs plus constant traffic on location. I have them both in my rack and on a consistent feeding schedule in a separate tub, she's calmed down drastically... Hasn't snapped at me once!
    I can't imagine it's the smell of dogs, as I have dogs and no snappy snakes (both for many years), but maybe the constant traffic, or just their luck? Some also swear
    that snakes can "smell fear"- I don't really believe that, but you did mention they were afraid of them, so? (& I can't say I've ever been afraid of snakes, so who knows?)
    Like you, I've taken on snakes that others were afraid of, and they became calm with me too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-10-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I can't imagine it's the smell of dogs, as I have dogs and no snappy snakes (both for many years), but maybe the constant traffic, or just their luck? Some also swear
    that snakes can "smell fear"- I don't really believe that, but you did mention they were afraid of them, so? (& I can't say I've ever been afraid of snakes, so who knows?)
    Like you, I've taken on snakes that others were afraid of, and they became calm with me too.
    I agree. Likely has nothing to do with dogs unless both had a close encounter with a dog outside of the cage. I have a dog and PVC the cages at the bottom are around his eye height. Both my BPs don't act scared... my adult doesn't seem to acknowledge the dog exists, my 500 gram male acts like he's hunting the dog, no defensive or snappy behavior when the doors open, though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well my psychotic snake the Red Thai Bamboo rat snake ( Latin name Devilish Swine ) ..is well documented

This is him casually chilling out , just waiting for me ...

WOW that is soooo dang pretty.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bistem View Post
    WOW that is soooo dang pretty.
    "No pain, no gain!"

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    My Killer Queenbee is one of these snakes. She's a year old. I've had her 3 months. She is always in high alert and will come after you when you peek in on her. Even if she was coiled up in the back, she'll come slithering up for a piece of face.

My problem with her is she also will 'tenderize' her meals. Striking repeatedly. Then sometimes she'll get frustrated and coil into a sulk for a bit. I've had her eating rat pups last month but this month she's just being supper fussy. She's struck and wrapped, only to let go a second or two later. =_=;;

I'm probably just going to have to lay off with attempting to handle her because it feels like since I tried with small session, she's been fussy on food.
    If I'm lucky, I can get her fattened up and maybe she'll mellow out with weight and age. @_@;;

My biggest gal just has an amazing feeding response and finding the right s hedule for her worked like a charm.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's 50% of my snakes until they reach 500 grams or a year (depending on the species)

I love nippy snakes, they make the best feeders.

Never had an adult nippy snake though.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bu998 (07-15-2018),C.Marie (07-12-2018),JodanOrNoDan (07-12-2018),the_rotten1 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    ...I love nippy snakes, they make the best feeders....
    Yup!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast