Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,222

1 members and 2,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does pricing depend on the buyer?

Hey, y'all!

I recently made friends with the manager of a reptile shop near me (I was bored on the 4th and decided to hang out there, as they were open with normal hours, and since no one else was in the store, I got to handle a lot of their reptiles, which was super fun!) and mentioned that I was planning on breeding my ball pythons once I get them up to size. My new friend mentioned he'd be interested in buying hatchlings to sell in the store, as he thought my snakes were gorgeous, and because I mentioned I wanted to make a project out of producing some BELs. This was super exciting to me, because I was wondering what I was going to do with the hatchlings I produced. I'm not opposed to listing them places and shipping them, but since this is a local store, I could easily just drop them off.

Since I was thinking about it, I wanted to see if anyone had experience in the area or knew if there should be a difference in price point if I'm selling direct to a buyer versus if the snake is going to be resold. I've noticed that some morphs are listed a bit high (e.g., $120 normal hatchling), and I would assume this is because the goal for the store is to make as much profit as possible.

TL;DR: Should I sell hatchlings at market price, regardless of buyer? Or is there some different way to sell to a store?

Also, would there be any pertinent tax consequences from selling to a store rather than direct to a buyer? Relevant to Texas would be helpful. I'm not sure there would be, but if anyone knows... I also only plan to keep this a hobby (for now). Thanks!!
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie

Thanks

Re: Does pricing depend on the buyer?

Pricing depends on the seller - what are the snakes worth to you?

The store will most likely want to purchase the clutch at a wholesale rate from you. If you just want to off-load them, and not worry about feeding and care, it's an easy way to go about it. When you sell to a store, however, you can't guarantee the snake is going to go to a good home. The store is in it for profit. If someone comes in with the funds to purchase an animal, they're typically not going to check into whether or not that person has everything to properly care for that animal. Thus why a lot of breeders will keep their prices a bit higher and ship one by one from reptile websites. There's still never a guarantee, of course, but the breeder can be a bit more discerning if they choose - and can usually ask for market price and get it.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't want to worry about caring for the babies, then wholesale is the way to go. You make a little and save a little. If you want to be a bit more picky about who the babies go to, you're going to spend a bit more in care and time, but you'll make a bit more from market price.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),skydnay (07-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Pricing depends on the seller - what are the snakes worth to you?

The store will most likely want to purchase the clutch at a wholesale rate from you. If you just want to off-load them, and not worry about feeding and care, it's an easy way to go about it. When you sell to a store, however, you can't guarantee the snake is going to go to a good home. The store is in it for profit. If someone comes in with the funds to purchase an animal, they're typically not going to check into whether or not that person has everything to properly care for that animal. Thus why a lot of breeders will keep their prices a bit higher and ship one by one from reptile websites. There's still never a guarantee, of course, but the breeder can be a bit more discerning if they choose - and can usually ask for market price and get it.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't want to worry about caring for the babies, then wholesale is the way to go. You make a little and save a little. If you want to be a bit more picky about who the babies go to, you're going to spend a bit more in care and time, but you'll make a bit more from market price.

Aha, that makes sense. I'll have to discuss with the manager more then, I suppose, and decide what I want to do from there. Thank you!
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo

Other Snakes!

Geckos!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Wholesale is around 50% of retail.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),IsmQui718 (11-07-2018),John1982 (07-06-2018),skydnay (07-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Ouch, that's certainly something to consider. I'd much rather sell direct to buyers in that case, but it's nice to have a back up, jic.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo

Other Snakes!

Geckos!

Thanks
    Also depends on the store. Places around here will only give around 15 to 20 percent of retail to wholesale snakes to. Can be a life saver if you end up overwhelmed and need to dump a lot off your back fast but generally not worth it for hobby breeders around here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charis For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),skydnay (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Stores will never pay as much as private buyers, since they have "overhead"...the building & staff & utilities all cost them more. Also they figure they might
    have the animal for a while before it's sold. As others said, it's an option if you're overwhelmed taking care of all that you've produced, but don't even dream
    of getting top dollars from pet stores. They buy cheap & sell high.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

skydnay (07-06-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    yup or less
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charis View Post
    Also depends on the store. Places around here will only give around 15 to 20 percent of retail to wholesale snakes to. Can be a life saver if you end up overwhelmed and need to dump a lot off your back fast but generally not worth it for hobby breeders around here.
    That makes sense. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning more toward just keeping this store in mind for a back up plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Stores will never pay as much as private buyers, since they have "overhead"...the building & staff & utilities all cost them more. Also they figure they might
    have the animal for a while before it's sold. As others said, it's an option if you're overwhelmed taking care of all that you've produced, but don't even dream
    of getting top dollars from pet stores. They buy cheap & sell high.
    Oh, right, I didn't think of that. Though I did assume there'd be some drop in price, I didn't realize it'd be so drastic. I'll likely keep to private sales, then.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    yup or less
    oof.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo

Other Snakes!

Geckos!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Selling to a retail store means you are selling WHOLESALE which is about 70% to 50% off the retail price depending on what you sell.

Retail is retail the price is up to you if people make you an offer you can accept or turn it down.

I do both lower end stuff I wholesale unless I do a show (than wholesale after the show), high end stuff I retail and I usually get my asking price (unless it's a return customer but that's a different story all together)
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),skydnay (07-06-2018),Sonny1318 (07-06-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast