Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Does pricing depend on the buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Selling to a retail store means you are selling WHOLESALE which is about 70% to 50% off the retail price depending on what you sell.

Retail is retail the price is up to you if people make you an offer you can accept or turn it down.

I do both lower end stuff I wholesale unless I do a show (than wholesale after the show), high end stuff I retail and I usually get my asking price (unless it's a return customer but that's a different story all together)
    Thanks, that's really helpful. This store is more of a specialty reptile store, but a retail store nonetheless, so I hadn't thought to consider that I wouldn't make nearly what I was hoping in selling to the store. I'm glad I asked instead of charging headfirst into that situation, oh boy!
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Wholesale makes more sense for species that produce many young. You can keep whatever you're comfortable moving on your own and wholesale the remainder for a nice little chunk of change. Another aspect of private sales is the crazy. There's a fair bit of bad and ugly to go with the good - no getting around it if you're dealing with the public. Having a reliable source you can mass sell to is definitely useful. Sometimes I need a year off from "people" and just wholesale most of my stuff and maybe sell to a few of the people who been waiting for something in particular and who've kept in contact.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),JodanOrNoDan (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Did you say $120 for a normal? We sell a normal for $69.99 and that is a mark up of 54% from the cost from the breeder. Holy cow, that is a price gouge. I thought my store was overpriced, jeez.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

The reptile store (not a petco/petsmart) near me frequently has morphs, but cost is way higher.. $450 for an albino BP, $400 for a male banana, $500 for a black pastel albino once. Single gene morphs are usually double the "going rate" on morph market. Not too much choice outside of the big chains around here where you can walk in and buy (and you'd be lucky to see anything outside of a normal, YB, spider rarely, pin, or pastel), so they seem to set their own prices. I think they sold a yearling normal last time I was in for $100, which is more than the chain stores nearby that have them, but definitely better care. The BP prices are nuts, though their GTP prices seem more normal from what I saw mentioned here at some point.. hatchling/still yellow around $500 (I think one is a biak, but I can't swear to it, that one might be $600)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Wholesale makes more sense for species that produce many young. You can keep whatever you're comfortable moving on your own and wholesale the remainder for a nice little chunk of change. Another aspect of private sales is the crazy. There's a fair bit of bad and ugly to go with the good - no getting around it if you're dealing with the public. Having a reliable source you can mass sell to is definitely useful. Sometimes I need a year off from "people" and just wholesale most of my stuff and maybe sell to a few of the people who been waiting for something in particular and who've kept in contact.
    Oh! That's a good idea. I'll definitely keep the store in mind for that reason as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Did you say $120 for a normal? We sell a normal for $69.99 and that is a mark up of 54% from the cost from the breeder. Holy cow, that is a price gouge. I thought my store was overpriced, jeez.
    Yeah! I don't know the going rates for the other reptiles they keep in stock, but the BP prices are real high.

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    The reptile store (not a petco/petsmart) near me frequently has morphs, but cost is way higher.. $450 for an albino BP, $400 for a male banana, $500 for a black pastel albino once. Single gene morphs are usually double the "going rate" on morph market. Not too much choice outside of the big chains around here where you can walk in and buy (and you'd be lucky to see anything outside of a normal, YB, spider rarely, pin, or pastel), so they seem to set their own prices. I think they sold a yearling normal last time I was in for $100, which is more than the chain stores nearby that have them, but definitely better care. The BP prices are nuts, though their GTP prices seem more normal from what I saw mentioned here at some point.. hatchling/still yellow around $500 (I think one is a biak, but I can't swear to it, that one might be $600)

I'd almost swear we're talking about the same store, as this is all fitting super well, haha! Because, yeah, it's not a petco/petsmart, and the prices on BP morphs are insane. This is what was making me think that maybe I could sell them snakes at more than a wholesale rate. I'll have to chat with the manager and see who they buy their stock.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo

Other Snakes!

Geckos!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    I'd almost swear we're talking about the same store, as this is all fitting super well, haha! Because, yeah, it's not a petco/petsmart, and the prices on BP morphs are insane. This is what was making me think that maybe I could sell them snakes at more than a wholesale rate. I'll have to chat with the manager and see who they buy their stock.
    Just checked your profile, and I'd bet so. I'm from the north Dallas area, so unless you found another store I haven't heard of... gotta be the same place.

I agree, they either have incredible markup due to lack of brick and mortar competition in morphs, or they pay local breeders more than wholesalers that sell to the big chain pet stores. Possibly some of both.

Definitely worth asking ballpark what they would be willing to buy from you for a few morph types. I'd be curious to hear the answer (not that I have any plans to breed... both my BPs are male and I have only 1 of each species for my others)

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-06-2018 at 04:59 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

skydnay (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    If you have too many babies, you could cherry pick the best ones to sell directly and then sell the excess lower quality ones to the pet store.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

skydnay (07-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Just checked your profile, and I'd bet so. I'm from the north Dallas area, so unless you found another store I haven't heard of... gotta be the same place.

I agree, they either have incredible markup due to lack of brick and mortar competition in morphs, or they pay local breeders more than wholesalers that sell to the big chain pet stores. Possibly some of both.

Definitely worth asking ballpark what they would be willing to buy from you for a few morph types. I'd be curious to hear the answer (not that I have any plans to breed... both my BPs are male and I have only 1 of each species for my others)

Yeahhhh, it's the same place. How cool! I'll try to remember to let you know when I ask. The way the manager talked about buying the babies made me think they're more choosy about what they buy to sell, so they'd act differently than a big chain store.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo

Other Snakes!

Geckos!