Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,279

0 members and 1,279 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Chondro as first snake?

Ok, this isn’t trolling. I’ve never had a snake, but really want a Chondro. If I read ‘The More Complete Chondro”, would you folks still recommend against it and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    It can be done if you're smart about animal keeping: Get the required equipment, don't set them up "on a budget", and do all necessary research. Make your setup exactly like what experienced keepers have already done and succeeded in, what's tried and true, don't try to wing it yourself. And most importantly (applies to all snakes really), don't get advice from pet shops lol- even if they sell snakes.

I'd actually read through the info threads on this forum for husbandry than read The More Complete Chondro. Follow husbandry and setup instructions to a T. You can also ask questions on GTP facebook groups if you're on fb.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/more...he-basics-f93/

If you want to budget and cut corners, I wouldn't start with a GTP.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-05-2018 at 10:56 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-07-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-06-2018),MissterDog (07-05-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: Chondro as first snake?

A number of reasons. Firstly, their care is more advanced than slot of other species and husbandry needs to be dialed in 100% before arrival. Getting husbandry perfect is always tough as a beginner and chondros do not easily bounce back from those kinds of errors. Also, as your first snake, you’re going to want to hold it. Probably a lot. Not only do babies have very delicate spines, but their teeth are very formidable. It’s not going to be the kind of snake you can man-handle without hurting it or yourself

Not to generalize, as I have heard of very tame GTPs, but I guarantee you the keepers on this forum who own chondros rarely ever handle them. And they are all VERY experienced.

If you want something feisty, arboreal, and highly colored, an ATB is a much better option and would give you practice so you can perfect thehusbandry a chondro requires.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-05-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Actually Team Slytherin made a good point- don't start with a hatchling for sure. Obtaining a US Captive Born and Bred sub-adult or adult will give you a much easier time in comparison.

As for the term "advanced", it pretty much just means they have specific temperature and humidity requirements that MUST be followed and they don't tolerate mistakes in that aspect, even the adults. I don't know you or how you are as a keeper, so I don't want to judge or tell you not to get a GTP. If you're smart, their husbandry is as do-able as starting with a ball python. Read up on their husbandry in my link and make a decision on whether you want to budget or cut corners in husbandry- if you do, then don't get a GTP.

Too many people tell others to start with a snake they're not passionate about for the sake of "being a beginner", but it really comes down to you and research.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-05-2018 at 11:11 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Charis (07-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-06-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    With any new pet, it's important to ask yourself what it is about that animal that makes you want it? Then do the right thing (especially for the animal) and
    make darn sure you can and will meet their needs, otherwise it's a train wreck waiting to happen. If it's just the physical beauty you want to see every day,
    then get a color poster or two...they'll last longer, cost less, & be a lot less trouble. There's always a few that defeat the odds and do well with difficult species
    despite no experience, but the odds are not really in your favor. Team Slytherin brought up a great point about handling: remember that it's hard enough to
    keep an eye on an animal's health when you can handle it, but when you can't, that's where experience comes in to know what you're observing & how to help
    without hurting. Even with many years of experience, to me it's more fun to keep species that lend themselves to handling.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-06-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Chondro as first snake?

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfvl View Post
    Ok, this isn’t trolling. I’ve never had a snake, but really want a Chondro. If I read ‘The More Complete Chondro”, would you folks still recommend against it and why?
    Bottom line is this: only YOU know the answer to that question. Why dont you read the book and decide if their care is something you can provide? And be honest with yourself. They are not recommended for beginners, but that's a recommendation, not set in stone.

Nobody on this forum knows you or your capabilities. It was mentioned above that "as your first snake, you’re going to want to hold it. Probably a lot". I don't think it's fair for somebody to assume what YOU are going to want. Maybe you have no intention of handling and want a display snake? If you read the book, as well as study other sources such as this forum and more and understand that you're not going to be getting a lap pet who's going to be excited you're home after a long day at work, then maybe it is the right pet for you.

However, on the flip side of that, we're talking about a living, breathing creature who can't be taken lightly. They're not an easy species to keep. There's a reason it is advised that they're not for beginners. Their husbandry is more difficult to achieve and maintain than that of a corn snake or a ball python, some of the "beginner" species (p.s. I don't like that term). You'll also find that chondros are much more unforgiving of husbandry mistakes than other species.

In conclusion, you're talking about an "advanced" species to keep. They come with that label for many reasons. But, as I said, only YOU know your desires and capabilities.
    I am by no means saying "yes" that should be your first snake, but I'm not saying it can't be. YOU need to make that call, knowing a living being will be depending on you if you decide to go that route.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-06-2018),Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I started with a green tree python. If I had a chance to do it again, I would do the exact same thing. I love my boy Riddle, and he has taught me a lot. He is an adult, so I have had a little bit of cushion with regards to care, so if you do, I recommend an established snake. He has also taught me all about snake behavior.

A lot of people tend to say their husbandry is harder, but it's not really. It just requires more work and a lot of that work can be automated or made much easier by modern technology. (Granted I haven't been keeping snakes long enough to know what 90's era keeping was like)

I can definitely improve my care, and I intend to do so, but the first snake you should get is the one that you're going to do the research and invest the proper time and energy to care for - whether cornsnake or retic.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Probably going to repeat a lot here. But typically, no I would not recommend a GTP as a beginner or even as a second or third snake. That said, if you read up on them a ton, talk to breeders, get your enclosure together and set it up, have everything dialed in and wait 3-6 months to be sure it's maintaining and tweak anything that needs it during that period, before buying the actual snake, you can probably make it work. I would recommend an at least 2+ year old captive bred, well started male GTP from a trusted breeder if it's your first. Doing all that right will not be cheap. Babies are awesome how they change color but are incredibly delicate. Female GTPs are somewhat more prone to prolapses than males, so an adult male is probably going to have less health risks in most cases.

Sometimes trying another species to get experience is a good idea and yet if the passion is totally lacking for the "stepping stone" snake(s) that can be a disservice to the throwaway snake and become a problem for the keeper, so I'm not against someone going for what they are passionate about first if they are willing to be smart about it.

While my Amazons are much hardier than the GTPs I've dealt with, for the most part they have also been a lot meaner. None of them are good have out all the time, lap snakes like a BP or even most the colubrids but the GTP is easier to handle and actually seems to like the opportunity to explore. The ATBs jut want to kill you.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charis For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-06-2018),MD_Pythons (07-06-2018),wonderfvl (07-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for all the thoughtful replies. I’ve been on this forum since 2008, and earlier on some others. In other words, I’m taking my time in making a decision, because I want to make the right choice. I am not really a ‘hold it and play with it’ guy. I’ve looked at the BPs and Jungle Carpets. BP’s, although beautiful, seem somewhat boring. Jungle Carpets seem too active. And most boas don’t appeal to me, aesthetically anyway. However, I’m enamored with Sorongs.

Since I don’t consider pets as disposable, I didn’t want the get any “stepping stone” snakes to gain experience, and I didn’t want other mouths to feed for 20 plus years. I’ll study it for some time, and do a mock setup.
    Thanks for everyone’s input! I really appreciate it.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wonderfvl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2018),C.Marie (07-07-2018),Charis (07-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-06-2018),hilabeans (07-07-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you're putting that much thought into it, buy one and don't look back. Learn with it, and enjoy it - that's my take.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

wonderfvl (07-07-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast