Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,487

2 members and 3,485 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How is this for a breeding plan?

Hey all, I was considering getting the following types of morph pythons as a starter breeding project, and I was wondering what you thought.

1.1 Lemon Pastels
    0.1 Spider
    0.4(?) Normals

Basically, I would use the male lemon to stud with the females to produce additional pastels and spiders, and with the hopes of getting a super pastel or bumblebee (that's a pastel/spider right?). I chose these types because I wanted the quick results of co-dom/dom traits, and I just love the coloration of the lemon pastels. Eventually, I would aim for producing killer bees and mixing in some recessive traits as well.

So how do guys feel about this? I am worried that the value of Co-dom/Dom morphs will drop significantly in future due to the relative ease of breeding, and I would have a hard time earning back my investment. Also, is it realistic to pin my hopes on the one male? How common is it for males to either be unable or unwilling to breed? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: How is this for a breeding plan?

A couple of thoughts ...

1. Make sure you are buying what you like .... There's nothing worse than cleaning snake $hit for 3 years while you're raising up your girls thinking to yourself "I wish I had bought morph xxxx".

2. I have never had a male ball python not breed .... eventually. Some will go very young and some will take longer than others, but sooner or later they all come around.

3. As supply increases, prices will drop ... There is NO way around it. But if you think about it like this ... Your snakes will breed for 20+ years! ... Even if the price of those animals drops by 75% the day after you buy them, if you can figure out how to breed them you will make your money back plus a profit in time. If you're looking to get your money back as fast as humanly possible, then I'd say that you're probably going to get your feelings hurt.

If you're "investing" in ball pythons morphs, they are no different than any other investment .... For example, if you purchased stock in Microsoft 6 weeks ago and needed to sell it today, you'd lose money (about $3 - $4 per share), but if you bought Microsoft 7 years ago and stuck with it, followed that market, and sold on the highs and bought on the lows, you'd have a very nice nest egg right now.

The ball python market is very strong and if you have a plan and stick to that plan there is a good deal of money to be made no matter where the price of any individual morph goes. But, if you're just trying to make money, I promise you that selling second hand items and home made tie dye shirts on Ebay is going to be a LOT easier than breeding snakes.

4. Final thoughts ... females don't all grow at the same rate ... some girls are breedable at 3 years, others won't go until they are 5 and even later. Some girls, even with the proper age and weight, just won't lay eggs in a given year ... others crank them out like they are machines!! .... Sometimes females for no reason other than the fact that they feel like it, just take a year off. There's a reason that actors have that joke about never working with children or animals .... cause they have their own minds and right when you want them to do something, they'll make you look foolish.

As far as a back up male goes, it's definitely a good idea, but you have some time .... I think your choices are solid, but definitely definitely make a plan!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    A couple of thoughts ...

1. Make sure you are buying what you like .... There's nothing worse than cleaning snake $hit for 3 years while you're raising up your girls thinking to yourself "I wish I had bought morph xxxx".

2. I have never had a male ball python not breed .... eventually. Some will go very young and some will take longer than others, but sooner or later they all come around.

3. As supply increases, prices will drop ... There is NO way around it. But if you think about it like this ... Your snakes will breed for 20+ years! ... Even if the price of those animals drops by 75% the day after you buy them, if you can figure out how to breed them you will make your money back plus a profit in time. If you're looking to get your money back as fast as humanly possible, then I'd say that you're probably going to get your feelings hurt.

If you're "investing" in ball pythons morphs, they are no different than any other investment .... For example, if you purchased stock in Microsoft 6 weeks ago and needed to sell it today, you'd lose money (about $3 - $4 per share), but if you bought Microsoft 7 years ago and stuck with it, followed that market, and sold on the highs and bought on the lows, you'd have a very nice nest egg right now.

The ball python market is very strong and if you have a plan and stick to that plan there is a good deal of money to be made no matter where the price of any individual morph goes. But, if you're just trying to make money, I promise you that selling second hand items and home made tie dye shirts on Ebay is going to be a LOT easier than breeding snakes.

4. Final thoughts ... females don't all grow at the same rate ... some girls are breedable at 3 years, others won't go until they are 5 and even later. Some girls, even with the proper age and weight, just won't lay eggs in a given year ... others crank them out like they are machines!! .... Sometimes females for no reason other than the fact that they feel like it, just take a year off. There's a reason that actors have that joke about never working with children or animals .... cause they have their own minds and right when you want them to do something, they'll make you look foolish.

As far as a back up male goes, it's definitely a good idea, but you have some time .... I think your choices are solid, but definitely definitely make a plan!

-adam
    ---Begin @@@ kissing

This is why Adam is THE man. I have learned more from him than from a handful of books!

---End @@@ kissing

I think that the most important thing he mentioned is breed what you like. Now Adam, send me a pair of het caramels. I love them!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    ---Begin @@@ kissing

This is why Adam is THE man. I have learned more from him than from a handful of books!

---End @@@ kissing

I think that the most important thing he mentioned is breed what you like. Now Adam, send me a pair of het caramels. I love them!
    You can a$$ kiss all you want, but if ya want the het caramels instead of the smootch smootch, I'm gonna need the bling bling!! Nice try though! ... LOL

Either way though, money or not, I'm always glad to help!

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

You can a$$ kiss all you want, but if ya want the het caramels instead of the smootch smootch, I'm gonna need the bling bling!! Nice try though! ... LOL

Either way though, money or not, I'm always glad to help!

-adam

I just might come up with it! How much does a first born go for these days?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    I just might come up with it! How much does a first born go for these days?
    If he/she is a hard worker, we can talk about it!

-adam

Thanks

If he/she is a hard worker, we can talk about it!

-adam

Nope, nothing in the classifieds for free children. Ok..I guess ill just have to come up with the cash!

Thanks

Thanks for the awesome reply Adam! Lemon Pastels are my definite favs right now so that's the major reason I want to focus on them. Well, unless of course you have a pair of blue-eyed lucys you would let go for cheap! How many children would accept in trade for those?