Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,435

0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Divided T8, ball on one side, Hog onthe other?

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    I would certainly defer to Deborah in all things snake, but since Craig lives in Mass also, can I ask how you did it with Cosmo? Did you get away with a tub and UTH or did you use a tank? That is assuming that you don't have a heated snake room.
    Well hello neighbor, hahaha.

I'm old school in some ways, I still use bulbs. When I was getting Cosmo started I had to change the setup his original owner brought him in. He came to me in a little 5(?) gallon tank with a UTH on the bottom and a UTH on the side. So, I put him in a tiny tupperware I already had lying around, positioned that strategically over the existing UTH in the tiny tank and set a heat lamp on the tank screen. I kept the side UTH unplugged. This allowed the UTH and lamp to create an ambient temp with a hot spot using thermostats.
    After a week of making myself forget he was there (obviously not literally, it took willpower to not handle the little cutie) besides temp checks and fresh water, I offered
    and he ate. It worked, he kept eating and I stuck with it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (07-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ... So, I put him in a tiny tupperware I already had lying around, positioned that strategically over the existing UTH in the tiny tank and set a heat lamp on the tank screen. I kept the side UTH unplugged. This allowed the UTH and lamp to create an ambient temp with a hot spot using thermostats.
    That's a great idea! And it gets me thinking. Maybe I could get a hatchling hog, and keep him/her in a tub placed inside the divided T8. I could use the RHP to create the ambient temp needed and then use a UTH under the tub, again inside the T8, to create the hot spot. I plan on getting a Herpstat 6 so I'll have a few channels spare. It'll take a bit of experimentation to get the set up and temps right, but it should be doable.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    \m/

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    That's a great idea! And it gets me thinking. Maybe I could get a hatchling hog, and keep him/her in a tub placed inside the divided T8. I could use the RHP to create the ambient temp needed and then use a UTH under the tub, again inside the T8, to create the hot spot. I plan on getting a Herpstat 6 so I'll have a few channels spare. It'll take a bit of experimentation to get the set up and temps right, but it should be doable.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Yup, that'd work. I know plenty of people who've done it with juvenile Kings, corns, etc...

Thanks
    Thinking about it, this could be really slick set up. I could dangle the temp probe so if falls right into the middle of the tub to make sure the ambient is perfect, and as the hog grows just swap out bigger and bigger tubs 'til he/she is just in the divided T8.

Nice. Thanks again man, and Happy Fourth!
    \m/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-04-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12