Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum tape

Thanks

Aluminum tape

Hello! I'm looking to put the aluminum tape under my heat tape. I was just wonder if this product is suitable.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...xoCs0cQAvD_BwE

Thanks
    to tape it to the tank or as a layer in between the tank and the heat tape?

if it is heat tape with the exposed copper, and you are taping it to the tank, I was advised to not let it touch that part or put some insulating tape over the copper first.
    also if you have your temp probe on the outside of the tank, don't cover the line or probe with the metal tape, apparently this will mess with your readings.

Thanks
    That product should work fine. I’ve never had issues using aluminum tape on probes, just don’t overdo it or make the layer too thick over the probe then you might get problems.

Curious why you’re putting it underneath though?

Thanks

Re: Aluminum tape

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    That produI’ve never had issues using aluminum tape on probes, just don’t overdo it or make the layer too thick over the probe then you might get problems.
    I only say this as spyder robotics (herpstat) specifially link this to probe misreadings and failure.

Thanks
    Sorry I should have been more specific. It isn't a tank or a heat mat, it's TGH heat tape for a homemade rack built from a sheet of PVC board. I saw a couple YouTube videos were people put the aluminum tape down first then the heat tape over it, I guess hoping it would help build and hold heat. My shelves are not recessed so as of right now it's only the heat tape. The thermostat is a VE-100. I planned to put the probe in the middle shelf (8 shelves) and tape in directly to the heat tape in between two 12qt tubs.

So...
    Is aluminum tape even needed?
    Should I put a layer of clear tape over the heat tape?
    By putting the probe directly on the tape and not in the bottom of a tub with it still generate the heat it's set to inside the tub or should I run the VE100 at 94 if I'm shooting for 92 in the hot side of the tub?

Thanks
    Oh and one more thing! Would the aluminum tape taped down the sides of the heat tape help spread the heat a little more?

Thanks
    Aluminum lets heat pass through it..... that is why you can pick aluminum foil up straight off the grill and not burn yourself. It is a great thermal conductor, but its small mass and great conductive capacity let it cool off rapidly. It basically passes heat through it. Now the thing in the aluminum foil will retain heat, but not the foil. As for the rack questions i can't help you there as i have never used a rack. But the aluminum tape is just a heat resistant way to tape the heat tape to the cage. I personally place the probes in the viv as that is the area that i want to reach a specific temp, But just on the other side of the glass/pvc from the heat tape.

Thanks
    Ty and yes I assumed putting the probe inside a tub where I wanted to heat it would be the best choice but very vido I ha e watched they always put it directly on the tape. Anyone have any input on that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    Ty and yes I assumed putting the probe inside a tub where I wanted to heat it would be the best choice but very vido I ha e watched they always put it directly on the tape. Anyone have any input on that?
    It's because it's a pita trying to keep a probe in position in a tank with a snake moving it around and an accident waiting to happen, if the probe gets moved your hot spot could get too hot and burn your snakes. The probe directly on the heat tape is the safest and the best way to regulate your heat. You get the hot spot in the tub the correct temp by using a temp gun on it and then adjust the the thermostat as needed until you get the temp you want. For example, my herpstat is set to 95 with the probe directly on my heat tape and that gets me a 90 reading on my hot spot in the tub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    It's because it's a pita trying to keep a probe in position in a tank with a snake moving it around and an accident waiting to happen, if the probe gets moved your hot spot could get too hot and burn your snakes. The probe directly on the heat tape is the safest and the best way to regulate your heat. You get the hot spot in the tub the correct temp by using a temp gun on it and then adjust the the thermostat as needed until you get the temp you want. For example, my herpstat is set to 95 with the probe directly on my heat tape and that gets me a 90 reading on my hot spot in the tub.
    To get around this i use silicone or hot glue gun on the line to the probe, a heavy hide will work too. I havent had one move or come off yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast