Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,429

2 members and 1,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Condensation and High Humidity in Tubs— Help!

Hi all. I just recently bought a rack and so far the humidity in the tubs has been crazy. I was using news paper substrate for a while but found that the humidity was lower than I wanted (40~ percent) and I was having to mist twice a day. So, 3 days ago, I switched the tubs to lightly moistened coco chip substrate and ever since then the humidity has been 99%, with condensation forming inside the plastic hides and on the inside of the tub. I know a couple days like this won’t cause an issue (the enclosure is fresh cleaned) but I’m going to be out of town for 4 days and I’m wondering if I need to switch things up before I go.

I just fed the racks currently only occupant and that’s why I’m trying not to mess with him too much. I did take him out and blow dry the tub and substrate yesterday, which I thought dried the tub out noticeably, but when I checked again a couple hours later the humidity was back at 99% and condensation was still inside the hides and on the walls of the tub. Should I dry everything and switch him back to newspaper before I go just to be safe? Or am I overreacting about the condensation? I just wouldn’t think it’s good for him to be crammed in a hide that’s literally wet, and I’ve never had to deal with these kinds of issues before using terrariums.

Advice appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    definitely fix the situation before you go anywhere.
    maybe also do something for ventilation? I have never used a rack, but I do know that very few snakes enjoy it/thrive that wet for long periods of time.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Can you temporarily use paper towel while you're out of town and then problem solve when you get back? 40% humidity for 4 days would be better than 99%...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (07-01-2018)

Thanks
    I really don’t want to drill holes in these tubs just yet as they’re the nice solid FB70 ones, believe me I thought about it but I think I’d rather try and find a substrate that works for me first. I will more than likely change the substrate to newspaper before I leave but I’m hoping some people with rack experience will chime in and give me their opinions. I’ve seen condensation in tubs before when watching videos from big breeders like JKR and others and it doesn’t seem to be an issue if the tub is clean, but I’m concerned about the condensation inside the hides and Atlas being in contact with the wet plastic for an extended period while he hides and digests. The substrate isn’t wet (doesn’t even really feel cool or damp at all) but the insides of the hides are collecting water.

Thanks

Re: Condensation and High Humidity in Tubs— Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tila View Post
    Can you temporarily use paper towel while you're out of town and then problem solve when you get back? 40% humidity for 4 days would be better than 99%...
    I agree and thats most likely what I will do. Just wondering if the condensation is actually harmful or not inside the tubs/hides because I’ve heard varying opinions on this

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    There are a couple of things you can try:
    - put newspaper over 1/2 to 2/3 of the tub on the side with the heat, and the natural substrate on the cool side, or
    - put in all newspaper and add a second water bowl on the warm side, which also helps boost humidity.

Thanks

Re: Condensation and High Humidity in Tubs— Help!

I live in a very humid area and use forest floor. In order to get the humidity down, I had to let the tub sit for a week with the heat going and top off. When I change bedding I am going to pre dry it. I would try not moistening the coco chips at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard