Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,784

0 members and 2,784 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How much humidity is too much for a BCI?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    As long as the enclosure has good ventilation and the humidity isn't so high that dewdrops are forming, it's fine. High humidity is only a problem when there's poor ventilation or condensation.
    Would you say that no condensation = good enough ventilation? Or not necessarily? That's reassuring, but I'm probably going to add more holes just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Would you say that no condensation = good enough ventilation? Or not necessarily? That's reassuring, but I'm probably going to add more holes just to be on the safe side.
    No not necessarily. If you already have a bunch of holes, your house may just have higher humidity to begin with. But then it wouldn't hurt one way or another to add more holes.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (07-01-2018),MissterDog (07-01-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    I just brought a Nic BC home (my first snake!) and I'm having some trouble with humidity. I'm using a digital Acurite for measurements and the temps are fine I think, 75 - 86 f with a 93 f hot spot. My humidity won't come down past 80%, sometimes getting to the mid 80s. However, I'd dried out the substrate (cypress mulch) almost entirely beforehand, so I don't see any condensation or feel dampness; everything is seemingly dry and clean. I'm not sure if the current humid weather here may be having an effect, as I'm in an air-conditioned condo - possibly a little?

Should I be concerned about these current conditions, is it necessary to drill more air holes? My main reasons for wanting to keep it as is are a) I don't have a drill and need to ask someone to do it for me (I'll need to figure out how to keep the snake contained for that time, and he's just moved in so I'll have to wait), b) I'm worried added air holes would drop my temps, and c) it gets very dry here in the winter, and I want this tub to be viable then, too.

I've found mixed information regarding how harmful high humidity may or may not be for BCIs - from "it can lead to RIs" to "there isn't a maximum as long as the enclosure's clean and not constantly wet/mouldy". Advice would be greatly appreciated!
    OMG Caravaggiooo, CONGRATS! I remember you talking about maybe putting down a deposit on a Nic BC and you finally did it... Did you get the snake from "Tails&Scales"? I am so excited for you because I knew you were doing your research and trying to figure out which species was going to be best for you. Did you get a male or female? Any names picked out yet?
    Please do not hesitate to PM me, I would be happy to help with questions but everyone here on this site is super friendly and always willing to give their advice...Oh BTW, you do know there is an Expo next weekend Sunday..!!! Are you gonna go? I could introduce you to some vendors if you do go, since now you are formally an official snake owner....I promise you, it's a well worth addiction my friend
    HAPPY CANADA DAY (July 1st)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    OMG Caravaggiooo, CONGRATS! I remember you talking about maybe putting down a deposit on a Nic BC and you finally did it... Did you get the snake from "Tails&Scales"? I am so excited for you because I knew you were doing your research and trying to figure out which species was going to be best for you. Did you get a male or female? Any names picked out yet?
    Please do not hesitate to PM me, I would be happy to help with questions but everyone here on this site is super friendly and always willing to give their advice...Oh BTW, you do know there is an Expo next weekend Sunday..!!! Are you gonna go? I could introduce you to some vendors if you do go, since now you are formally an official snake owner....I promise you, it's a well worth addiction my friend
    HAPPY CANADA DAY (July 1st)
    Thank you!! It's a boy from Tails & Scales, yes - I gotta thank you for pointing me to a good local store! I'm calling him Rembrandt, after the artist

I'll keep in touch for sure! So far everyone's been nothing but kind and helpful here, I don't know what I'd do without all the info and advice. Oh, I recently found out about the expo and I'm not 100% sure I can make it yet, I'll let you know, I'd love to go with a buddy

I hope you had a great Canada Day as well!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (07-02-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Sorry big time difference to the UK,
    That temperature looks a lot better and he should be better off that, hopefully the humidity will stabilise it's self and as already said as long as there isn't water droplets firming on the roof and keeping everything moist it should be fine, the extra vent will help with this
    I keep my nics 88-90 so should be fine and they pretty much in the cool side most if the time except after a feed normally

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I like that name for your little guy

Tails and Scales is a pretty good go to source for reptiles. Like I said, i got my hognose from them and he has been great, especially when it comes to feeding (knock on wood). Once again, I am very happy for you as I know you are super pumped about your new purchase. I just got another snake myself this past Saturday and I needed him like I needed a hole in my head ( LOL ) Oh well, at least my collection is still small at 6 ( for now )

Thanks
    Hey, so I have an update... After lots of fiddling I finally got the humidity to stabilize (so far) in the 60s! I'd made more air holes as suggested and it didn't make much of a difference, so I turned to the substrate instead. I dried out another batch of cypress mulch, this time thoroughly in the sun for a few days. Swapping it in and moving the water bowl to the warm side did the trick! I'll probably look into misting or humid hides when his shed comes along; I'll also have to see how it holds long term because I just got it to this point a day ago.

And even better, the little guy ate his first meal with me yesterday! Or so I think.... he didn't take it when I dangled it so I left it in his cage and I think he ate it a few minutes later. I didn't see it happen so he must've been fast - but I don’t see the mouse in there or when I took a quick peek under his hide, so I think it's gone (I hope).

Thanks for all the advice, everyone
    Last edited by caravaggiooo; 07-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-08-2018),richardhind1972 (07-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really glad he ate for you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really glad he ate for you

Thanks, I am too! Especially because my husbandry was admittedly a bit out of whack during his first week. I just double-checked for the mouse under both his hides and nothing, though he's too coiled up for me to see if he has a bump or not

Humidity has been steady in the high 60s all day, I'm so relieved!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caravaggiooo For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-08-2018),richardhind1972 (07-09-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12