Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,697

2 members and 2,695 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Choosing: Blood, Borneo, Sumatran

So a little over a year ago I was trying to pick a new snake species and posted here asking about Bloods. I ended up getting a Diamond/Jungle Carpet Python.

Now I'm ready for another new snake and planning to attend the Daytona show coming up in August. This time I'm definitely wanting to get a STP of some sort and would like to hear more about the different species. I've already been reading up on care sheets so I feel like I understand the keeping requirements.

Bloods seem the most popular and come in a lot of color and pattern morphs. Borneos have some nice stripes, granite, etc... and generally seem to look "clean" in comparison but not as much color. I will admit that I know very little about Sumatrans though other than they turn black as they age and they're a bit smaller.

If you prefer Borneos or Sumatrans, what is it that attracts you to them over Bloods?

Do all the Sumatrans turn black when they become adults? How glossy/deep a black do they get?

Any significant differences in temperament?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I can only speak for my Borneo, Juice, who I've had for about 6 months now. He's awesome! I absolutely love him. He's so different from any other snake I've ever kept, and different from any species I'd ever handled prior. He's the epitome of a "lap snake". He's perfectly happy to just sit and chill. He'll find a comfy spot on my lap and plop himself down, keeping a watchful eye on his surroundings, but staying generally still.

As for temperament, he's so far been all bark and no bite...or should I say hiss?? He'll occasionally hiss a little bit when I first put my hand on him, but realizes quickly it's just me and settles right down. So far he's only hissed quietly, mouth shut. No big, serious hisses, just little hisses to let me know he knows I'm there. He's never struck or shown any signs that he might.

My only knock so far is that after he broke his fast he will only take live, but he's only eaten 3 meals since, is currently in shed and that's a work in progress. I'm confident he'll be back on F/T soon enough.

As for Sumatrans and bloods, I can't compare since I have no hands on experience. I chose a Borneo first because they're generally smaller than bloods and I just liked the normal Borneos a lot compared to Sumatrans. That being said, I will DEFINITELY be adding a blood or Sumatran at some point, and possibly sooner than later. There are some beautiful bloods out there and I'm really digging the blackhead Sumatrans.

Good luck, please keep us posted!

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    It really depends on the lines and breeding, SSTP's are usually pretty chill, bloods can be a bit more feisty and borneos in between but there are ones on all ends of the spectrum. All of them change color to a degree and that again goes back to breeding, many SSTP will end up a brownish just like most bloods, if you want a nice red blood or a dark black SSTP, find someone that's making those and it will cost you a bit more. All of them have a lot of variety in morphs, color options, patterns, it's easy to want them all!

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-30-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Choosing: Blood, Borneo, Sumatran

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    It really depends on the lines and breeding, SSTP's are usually pretty chill, bloods can be a bit more feisty and borneos in between but there are ones on all ends of the spectrum. All of them change color to a degree and that again goes back to breeding, many SSTP will end up a brownish just like most bloods, if you want a nice red blood or a dark black SSTP, find someone that's making those and it will cost you a bit more. All of them have a lot of variety in morphs, color options, patterns, it's easy to want them all!
    I second this. Bloods sometimes need a little more time to settle down after hatching and tend be me more defensive at first, while SSTs tend to start out calm and easy-going. I only have one Borneo, so I can't comment too much on them. My one Borneo is squirrelly, but not hissy. Bloods still generally grow out of the defensive phase, though.

There is a lot of variation in bloods and Borneos, but not so much in SSTs. Most SSTs get dark with age, but not all get that really deep black. Some have more browns, some more silvers. Generally, people seem to prefer the darkest ones, but I love the more contrasting silver and black ones. They do tend to stay on the smaller side. Also, with bloods and short tails, how dark they are can change day to day. It's pretty fun seeing the differences.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Anybody how how ivory bloods age? Pics would be great if you've got them. Thanks.

P.S. not trying to hijack the thread, but thought this was relevant. Sorry if anybody disagrees, I can start a new thread if so. Thanks all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (07-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Anybody how how ivory bloods age? Pics would be great if you've got them. Thanks.

P.S. not trying to hijack the thread, but thought this was relevant. Sorry if anybody disagrees, I can start a new thread if so. Thanks all.
    Ivories start out a bit yellowish and as the age the yellow goes away and turns white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-02-2018)

Thanks

Choosing: Blood, Borneo, Sumatran

Borneos are my favorite by far. I especially love the blue ghosts. Sumatrans are much more chill even fresh out of the egg. I had my first clutch of Sumatrans this year and they have been a joy to work with since hatching (can’t really say that about bloods or Borneos they tend to be a bit nippy till a few months old)
    Last edited by Goode05; 07-02-2018 at 06:13 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Borneos are my favorite by far. I especially love the blue ghosts. Sumatrans are much more chill even fresh out of the egg. I had my first clutch of Sumatrans this year and they have been a joy to work with since hatching (can’t really say that about bloods or Borneos they tend to be a bit nippy till a few months old)
    Do you like Borneos best based on appearance or behavior?

Tomorrow I think I'm going to have the opportunity to see all three species in person which I think will help a lot.

Right now I like the Bloods with good red, like the Marter line or even some of the T+ albinos. I think the orange-head Sumatrans are pretty cool looking too as well as the all-black or black & silver ones with red/orange eyes. Borneos look really clean and elegant, I tried looking up some pics of the blue ghosts but they look sort of grayish online, maybe the color just doesn't photograph well.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I snapped a quick trio shot of yearlings of the 3 species - the Borneo is a little younger, I think, and obviously growing a little more slowly.

Maybe it will help with your decision, or you'll have to get one of each!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-03-2018),Gio (07-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    I snapped a quick trio shot of yearlings of the 3 species - the Borneo is a little younger, I think, and obviously growing a little more slowly.

Maybe it will help with your decision, or you'll have to get one of each!

Nice!!
    I appreciate when somebody with the knowledge and experience can put 3 very similar, yet different species together side by side.

I'm not well versed in the Blood/STP world and these pictures put a few things into perspective.

Thanks for posting up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-03-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast