Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,794

2 members and 2,792 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Koko: July 4, 1971 - June 19, 2018

i heard and read about this last week and forgot to post it, but here it is.

Hanabi-Ko, more affectionately known as Koko, the gorilla, passed away last week at age 46. Koko was a cat lover, helped raise awareness of her species, more famously she learned words and phrases in sign language to communicate interspecies.

her NYT obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/u...-language.html
    Koko, the gorilla whose apparent aptitude for sign language endeared her to fans around the world, died in her sleep on Tuesday morning in California, according to the Gorilla Foundation, which oversaw her care. She was 46.

Koko became an instant celebrity in her youth thanks to an early facility with American Sign Language. That fame was bolstered over the years as Koko, a western lowland gorilla, charmed entertainers like Fred Rogers and Robin Williams as well as their audiences.

“Koko touched the lives of millions as an ambassador for all gorillas and an icon for interspecies communication and empathy,” the Gorilla Foundation said in a statement. “She was beloved and will be deeply missed.”

By the age of 4, Koko had developed a vocabulary of more than 170 words and showed an ability to use language creatively, Penny Patterson, her longtime caretaker and trainer, told The New York Times in 1975.

“She occasionally makes up new words [signs] which are amazingly appropriate and she is able to string known words together in novel and meaningful constructions,” Dr. Patterson said at the time. “Koko also has a sense of humor and plays word games.”

Koko’s language skills earned her a spot on the cover of National Geographic in 1978 and 1985, and she was the subject of many documentaries. By the time of her death, Koko’s vocabulary had ballooned to more than 2,000 words, according to the foundation.

But soon after Koko gained fame, some in the scientific community began to question the extent of her abilities, suggesting that she was responding to cues or that Dr. Patterson and others had overstated her skill, projecting what they wanted to see onto her actions. The debate has continued through the decades, but it did little to diminish interest in Koko.

In public appearances, she seemed to experience emotions like happiness, frustration and heartbreak. A lifelong friend to other animals, she displayed an endearing gentleness toward cats. Her relationship with a kitten named All Ball inspired the popular children’s book “Koko’s Kitten.”

Her celebrity was also fueled in part by interactions with famous humans, like Mr. Rogers, whose show, “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” featured Koko in a 1998 episode. That appearance was among the most memorable moments on the show, according to Margy Whitmer, one of its longtime producers.

Koko was quickly at ease with Mr. Rogers, playing with his sweater and telling him that she loved him.

“He just accepted Koko and was very relaxed with her and really showed no fear,” Ms. Whitmer told The Times this year.

Three years later, Koko met Robin Williams, building an instant rapport with the actor and comedian. Mr. Williams spoke fondly of the experience in interviews and even joked about their encounter in a standup routine. After he died in 2014, Koko was reportedly crestfallen.

Koko was born Hanabi-ko, Japanese for “Fireworks Child,” on July 4, 1971, at the San Francisco Zoo, according to the Gorilla Foundation. Dr. Patterson, then a doctoral student in psychology at Stanford University, began working with her the next year.

By 1979, Dr. Patterson had founded the Gorilla Foundation and moved it to the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Wild gorillas typically live for 30 or 40 years, while those cared for by humans can live into their 50s, according to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute. Western lowland gorillas, like Koko, are a critically endangered species.

here's another nice article on her funeral and partner: https://abcnews.go.com/US/koko-famou...ry?id=56105047

rest easy gentle one.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-30-2018)

Thanks
    This broke my heart when I heard it. I feel there was so much more we could have learned from her. She was truely something spectacular.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (07-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    No lie - this one hurt. I still have the book I had as a child about Koko and her kitten. What an unbelievably special creature she was. My brother is non-verbal and communicates thru sign - we always felt a special connection to her.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (07-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-30-2018),MissterDog (07-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Koko: July 4, 1971 - June 19, 2018

She was truly an incredible animal. I have been fascinated and followed her story since I was a very young child. RIP Koko

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python